BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I made this from scratch and I'm pretty proud of it. It was a lot of work but it came out exactly like I planned and it sounds frikin' phenomenal!

Now in the vert trunk:

From the back:

Left some space for the light to escape...gonna replace with a red/amber (BMW color) bulb for a soft glow:

Finished in faux stone, blends in nicely but doesn't try to look "factory":

·
Registered
1 Posts
I made this from scratch and I'm pretty proud of it. It was a lot of work but it came out exactly like I planned and it sounds frikin' phenomenal!

Now in the vert trunk:

From the back:

Left some space for the light to escape...gonna replace with a red/amber (BMW color) bulb for a soft glow:

Finished in faux stone, blends in nicely but doesn't try to look "factory":

Great job man! I like it .

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much air space? Seems like it would suffocate the sub
IDQ12 recommended, ~.87-.91 cu ft. using the packing peanut method (that's taking the driver's .07 cu ft mass away and not including the possible 10-15% acoustical increase in size through the use of polyfill). Plus, you can't really tell from the pics, but there's a LOT of enclosure that is stuffed into that hole! It should be right at .8 total QTS. :thumbsup:
That gives me an in-car 3db down of 15hz, and it already feels like it and the driver isn't even broken in yet. I'm loving it. :pimpin:

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How did you secure it and does that block the DVD for the nav?
I don't have the nav system but I'm sure it would block that opening. But the sub just slides in (like a hand into a glove), so it would be easily removable for nav updates. Now if you had a cd changer that you needed to access all the time, I probably would look for a different place for it. As far as securing it, just some heavy Velcro on the box in a few places to grab the OEM trunk liner carpet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to raise a thread from the dead, but how is the bass with the top down? Mine is an 01 330cic I have the hk system and its... um... okay but there is no bass.

I have an infinity basslink kicking around my garage.... So I was thinking of installing it, will it make a noticeable difference. I would pull out the stock hk sub, and feed those inputs into the basslink via an LOC.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

George

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Bass with the top down is awesome! I mean it really, really makes a big difference! I hardly got any bass with the HK system, but now with the new sub I can hear and feel the bass even going down Highway 85 at 85!

I would definitely install the sub, and I wouldn't even bother taking out the HK sub, but I would just "open it" instead. That way you don't hurt the HK sub by making it flex with the new air pushing from the new sub and it'll also let a little bit better sound flow to the front of the car.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts