BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here is my attempt at a diy writeup, its my first one so if you guys have any questions just let me know

First off let me start my saying that if you want to attempt this please please buy a Bentley manual, i pretty much followed that step by step. I went into this install having basic knowledge and no real fancy tools, the only ones i had to buy were the external torx set

Goodies going in...The M5clutch package with lightweight flywheel from UUC

Attempt at your own risk.......
I dont like jack stands, ive had a 6ton snap while working on my jeep lift so i decided to go with solid concrete blocks for my peace of mind.

Then I disconnected the whole air filter assembly, from the front ram all the way up to taking the box cover and filter out

After that remove the upper cover of the microfilter, there are 4 torx head bolts and that just pulls out, this part didnt make sense to me until later, taking it out made a huge difference taking the tranny out

Disconnect the hiring harness and take the two wires out and rest them on top of your engine

Then right up against your fire wall there is a plastic shield take that out, i think that they are torx heads as well

this is what it looks like after you took all that out

So after thats all done get under your car and take the front suspension reinforcement bolts out, they were stuck on really tight so i shot them with PB Blaster and give them a night to soak, there are 8 of them all together. Id support that with a floor jack cause its a bit on the heavy side

After thats off time to take the transmission mount brace off, support your transmission with a floor jack and take out the bolts on either side of the brace, your also should most likely want to replace your tranny mounts because after 100k mine were shot and had huge tears in them...here is the tranny brace

Next we tackled the exhaust, there are 4 bolts attaching the exhaust to the exhaust manifold, undo those then move down a little ways and there is a exhaust hanger bracket on your tranny, undo that bolt and move a little farther down, there are two braces, one of them has the vibration isolators attached, undo those, if you dont have someone helping you up to this point STOP and go get someone the exhaust is very heavy. Got to the back to the muffler and on either side the exhaust is attached with rubber hanging brackets, i just unbolted the whole assembly on each side, either side has 2 bolts. Your exhaust should be free now.
bracket on your tranny

where your exhaust comes off at the manifold

ya its huge

Then take the bolts out holding your heat shield to get access to your driveshaft

Next its time to disconnect your driveshaft. Unbolt the three bolts that your flex disc to your tranny, it wont come undone yet, then go the the middle mount and take the two bolts on either side on the mount. Now bend the shaft at the joint and it should come loose from your tranny. Now here is where I got stumped and took the easy way out. I couldnt figure out how to get it dosconnected from the rear and im not even sure if you are supposed to so i just supported it and moved off to the side

Here is what your tranny looks like with no driveshaft

Next you have to disconnect your sifter assembly. There are two places you have to disconnect it from. The first one is easy to get to its right under where the bottom of the ball for your shifter is. There is a retaining clip that just slides off. The second part to disconnect is on top of your tranny and is kinda hard to reach. You should see a long silver metal clip, take a flat head and push up and it should flip up like your opening a can, there is a rod connected to that piece and it should slide out of your shifter assembly.
Im sorry that i dont have pics of that part right now but when i put it all back together i will snap some

Now it gets hard, time to take your tranny bolts out, they require external torx sockets to get them out. There are 11 of them in total, unless a total moron did your last clutch job and snapped one of them off, and didnt tell you.:censor:. Remember when you took the microfilter assembly and that plastic shield behild that out, here is where it makes sense. We did the hardest bolts first the 4 at the top of the tranny, if you have a friend with long lanky arms use him here, we found out that a box wrench also fits the tranny bolts and were able to loosen the top bolts without using the torx set. The other 7 should be easiser to get to. I would number them as you take them out and make a note where they go because they are all different sizes. If you cant reach the top bolts from the top of your engine you can also string together about 2 feet of extensions and get to them through the tranny tunnel

Dont forget to disconnect your backup light sensor from the side of the tranny and your hydraulic lines. Bentley says dont unplug the hose but we couldnt figure out a way to disconnect it without unplugging them, and it was awesome when your coated with brake fluid let me tell you!

Next you need to remove the transmission from the back of the engine. Again here is where having friends helps alot. We moved the jack and supported the tranny ourselves. Pretty much keep pulling until you get it out, I know this sounds easy but believe me i was dead tired after this part.

This is what you should be looking at now. The pressure plate in all its SAC nonsense

pressure plate

Tranny on the ground

you can see that 1st shifter assembly on the top of the tranny here, its the long bronze rod. The second one attaches to top on the tranny

Inside your bellhousing is your clutch release bearing lever and your throwout bearing. On one side is a metal clip, take the lever and pull it to the right and forward and it should come loose. You should look at it to make sure its in good shape, mine was worn down from the throwout bearing

the clutch release lever, old and new throwout bearings

old throwout bearing left, new is on right

the clutch release lever and the worn metal

Next on the pressure plate there are 6 torx head bolts, undo those and try not to strip them. It is no fun trying to get them out! ask me how i know haha. Then just simply pry off your old pressure plate and watch out for the clutch disc in between the pressure plate and the flywheel, now your to the flywheel.

stupid stripped torx bolt

bolt 0 - drill 1

flywheel

new clutch plate left old one right

new pressure plate top, old one bottom

Well thats where im at right now, the flywheel bolts are being a pain in my ass so tom im gonna break out the big guns and hopefully get them off!
My hope is to get it all finished up tom so check back for the rest later.

And im sorry if i left any part out im just going by memory right now, but if you have any questions or want any different pics just let me know.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I have the M5 clutch package in my 01 330ci, you are going to absolutely love it! It's a really great setup and very close to stock feel! Good luck! Great write up!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Good job :thumbsup:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys im pretty excited to get it all buttoned up and take it for a spin :excited:

Excellent so far. :thumbsup:

Just a heads up, working in sandals might be hazardous for your toes....

just saying :pimpin:
haha thanks....thats how we roll down here, flip flops 24/7, i even have a tan line haha....it got to like 55 tonight i had to close the garage it was a bit chilly :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have to say I like your bricks. These are far more advanced than my MDF ramps.
ah thats right those were yours, you were actually my inspiration,:bow: i was going to do it out of wood but after all the calculations it would have taken me around $130 to get where i wanted so i went the cheaper route, next time though i need to get a jack that goes up higher it took me almost 4hrs to get it up on the blocks

·
Registered
877 Posts
Shameless plug, any 6-speed owners plan to do a clutch swap anytime soon, check out the sig. :eeps:

·
Just Nuts
7,253 Posts
ah thats right those were yours, you were actually my inspiration,:bow: i was going to do it out of wood but after all the calculations it would have taken me around $130 to get where i wanted so i went the cheaper route, next time though i need to get a jack that goes up higher it took me almost 4hrs to get it up on the blocks
You are better off with the bricks. I think I broke my clutch for going up my ramps too often. This is why I have a special interest in clutch jobs :). Although I am not sure if the clutch is really broken, or it is just the cold weather. I have a squeal that's caused by glazed clutch, bad throw out bearing, or oil/moisture on clutch. The annoying part is that it happens only once a day on cold mornings. It works perfectly fine in every way. But the squeal is a little embarrassing, sounding like I am trying to slaughter a pig in my car.

·
Apple Jews
9,678 Posts
:bow:

i plan on doing this soon.. just saving $$
what were your symptoms of the worn throwout bearing..?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:bow:

i plan on doing this soon.. just saving $$
what were your symptoms of the worn throwout bearing..?
i hear that, thats why i did mine and to prove to myself that i can do it, the only mechanical things ive done so far on my car is the oil and brakes so im feeling pretty good right now. Hopefully when i get it all put back together it will work :eek:

i really didnt know what to look for when my clutch started going out, i just payed attention to my revs and heard/felt it slipping. Now that i see the actual mechanics of how the throwout bearing works i remember that i had alot of vibration in the clutch pedal when i pressed it to the floor. So my best guess would be some kind of vibes your pedal

When you do yours if you have any questions during the process just shoot me a message and i can see if i can help you out at all

·
Banned
423 Posts
I have a 2002 330ci..

I need a new clutch soon.. I wanted a better clutch and flywheel etc anyway..

What all should I replace if money is no option? (I want my engine in it's best condition for 70k)...

Where can I get this package? :hmm:

I wonder if i can trust myself to do this on my own.. haha this is pretty high up there on level of difficulty DIY-wise :banghead:

·
Apple Jews
9,678 Posts
i hear that, thats why i did mine and to prove to myself that i can do it, the only mechanical things ive done so far on my car is the oil and brakes so im feeling pretty good right now. Hopefully when i get it all put back together it will work :eek:

i really didnt know what to look for when my clutch started going out, i just payed attention to my revs and heard/felt it slipping. Now that i see the actual mechanics of how the throwout bearing works i remember that i had alot of vibration in the clutch pedal when i pressed it to the floor. So my best guess would be some kind of vibes your pedal

When you do yours if you have any questions during the process just shoot me a message and i can see if i can help you out at all
you did a great job!
i was just curious of the TOB info because i think mine is making a noise, but im not sure...

i have done clutch swaps before, just not on the e46.
trust me, i've been balls deep in many engines before. :thumbsup:
(reminds me, i need to finish that VANOS diy-writeup)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts