E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, i have a 2001 325ci. I got it in August of 2001 and i have 30,000 miles on it now (yes 30,000, its kind of a lot quickly but whatever...) Well my oil light once again came on the other day. This will be the 5th time that i will have to add a quart of oil. I told my dealership about it after it happened about 3 times. Since i'm 18 years old they appear to not take me seriously at my dealership and they told me "oh, these cars tend to lose a lot of oil in the break in period, dont worry about it". I wanted to *****-smack the guy. My car had 25,000 miles on it at the time, i believe i'm slightly out of the "break in period" and even when i was in that period, i never lost any oil until around 23k-25k miles. Well they said when the light came on i need a quart of oil so i put that in. when i confronted the dealership about the frequent loss of oil they tried to first attribute it to the "break in period" then when i said that couldnt be they tried to say i wasnt putting in enough oil. they said it needed a quart and a half, it was my fault, i hadnt been putting in enough. once again, i wanted to smack the guy because when i called Competition BMW (Greenwhich, CT, thats my dealership unfortunately) the first time the light came on ( i thought i needed a oil change or something) they said "oh, that means you need to put in a quart of oil." thats what they told me and thats what i did, now they said i'm wrong. :dunno: i guess since im only 18 with a slightly modded bmw im just an idiot to them but whatever...

anyways, my question is this. a friend of mine has a 99 323ci with like 90,000 miles (yes 90,000- when it was his moms she would take it to PA like every weekend, i think hes shopping for a new car now) and he has never had to put in any oil. my friend has a 99 328i and he has never had to either. why do i keep losing oil? Has this happened to anyone out there? any ideas to why it would be happening? theres no smoke behind me when i drive and no oil slicks in my driveway where i park? this crap keeps disappearing on me!!! 5 quarts is like 10 months!!:banghead: where is this going???:dunno:

dalton

PS-sorry its a bit long, thanks for any feedback, its very appreciated....

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
no, i meant to say that, my friend with the 323ci drives MUCH harder than i do. i drive very moderately ever since my liscence suspension. my friend drives much much much harder on his car (right Adam?!) and he hasnt had to add oil. (hm, i kinda repeated myself but o well...)

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I see....fwiw my oil light came on about a few weeks ago. I had to fill up with 3 or 4 quarts of oil if I remember correctly. This can most definitely be due to driving hard. I would try to tone down your driving style a bit for the next month or so, and see what happens. If you are having the same symptoms, go to a different dealer.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Nick, when you autox or do track, do you ever add an extra quart of oil just in case of oil starvation issues when taking hard turns? Or is that only a big issue with the e36s?

·
Registered
740 Posts
The oil light came on about 4 times ever since I had the car. Twice happened less than 3k miles and 2 more came up at like 20k miles. I drive really hard and it doesn't really take up that much oil.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,376 Posts
Amir said:
Nick, when you autox or do track, do you ever add an extra quart of oil just in case of oil starvation issues when taking hard turns? Or is that only a big issue with the e36s?
So far as I know, it's only been a big issue with E36s. I know it's possible to do it to an E46, but the all seasons I autoxed last year on weren't enough to do it. If it happens this time around, then yes I will.

·
Registered
391 Posts
umnitza said:
When my e36 started "losing" oil, I had the valve cover gasket and rear main seal replaced under warranty.

No more problem.
I've burned oil since day one. I'm @ 36K miles now. Add oil every few weeks.

What's the "rear main seal"?

Thanks.

·
Bimmerless
1,845 Posts
Im sure you thought of this already, but lay some newspaper under your engine to see if there are any possible leaks. You just never know. And yes, hard driving does burn more oil.

·
Registered
198 Posts
yup

i added to my 330ci also about 6500 miles , not to worry they do eat a lil oil sometimes ...

·
Legendary like a schoolboy
6,337 Posts
i add bout a quart every twwo months...make sure u memorize ur friends name and birthday, plus address...might make things easier when u get pulled over.. i hate to see you get ur car impounded for a month..becareful when u drive

·
Registered
248 Posts
MachRc said:
i add bout a quart every twwo months...make sure u memorize ur friends name and birthday, plus address...might make things easier when u get pulled over.. i hate to see you get ur car impounded for a month..becareful when u drive

whot do yo speakn dat huh?

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've burned oil since day one. I'm @ 36K miles now. Add oil every few weeks.
well that just doesnt seem right at all...

Well, like i said i really dont drive all that aggressively at all anymore. i really drive mostly moderate, every now and then i will drive a little aggressive but for the most part its pretty moderate.

add bout a quart every twwo months...make sure u memorize ur friends name and birthday, plus address...might make things easier when u get pulled over.. i hate to see you get ur car impounded for a month..becareful when u drive
well, my car wouldnt be impounded, i would loose my liscence again, get dropped from insurance, have to get another SR-22 form, (its like taking out insurance on you liscence, its basically a piece of paper that doubles your insurance) and that would all suck real bad. Also, it would be difficult to pass myself off as my friend with the same car, he's half black, im white, i think the cops might pick up on that....damnit :D

well i just wanted to see if anyone else experienced this, maybe its just another one of those common, "normal" bmw qwerks. :dunno:

dalton

·
Registered
596 Posts
Dalton: You seem to drive like I do and I have NEVER had to add oil to my '01 325i, now with 13,800 miles. The only explaination for your oil loss is that the car is burning it. I would take the previous suggestion and place newspaper or cardboard under your car to make sure it's not leaking. If not, a compression test should be performed on each cylinder which will determine if piston rings or leaking valves are at fault. Leaking valve guides or seals are also a possibility, but that problem usually manifests itself in blue smoke coming out the tailpipe on start-up.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
MachRc said:
This is EXTREMELY bad advice. A traffic infraction which may result in the impounding of your car is VASTLY preferable to Criminal Impersonation, which in my state (CO) is a FELONY. Then, in addition to your car being impounded, you will be too.

·
Registered
105 Posts
My '00 328i has just a hair under 50,000 miles on it right now, and since I bought it at 36k a few months back, I've changed the oil x3 and never had to add a drop of oil between changes. I'd say I drive "aggressively" but I dont abuse it, which means the car sees 5,000+ RPMs at least once or twice a day;) I'm wondering if they can perform a leakdown/compression test on your engine for you since it looks as though you are still under warranty.

Ben

·
I'm hot 'cause I'm fly
4,886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i had asked them to perform a compression test while it was in for its rutine (i think i butchered that spelling) checkup. they said the car was fine and the test yeilded good results. i think back to it now and i doubt they ever performed the test, they're such lazy bastards. I had a problem w/ the engine randomly feeling like there was a loss of compression in the cylinders and i took it in. they said they checked the engine codes, got some misfire codes back, said it was nothing and cleared them and gave me the car back. needless to say the problem kept happening but the problem was it was totally random so i couldnt predict it and show it to them. i eventually made them check it out after much frustration and it turns out there was a faulty ignition coil. these guys are the biggest pain in the *** when it comes to fixing cars. im convinced they just dont take me seriously when i tell them about a problem since im only 18.

i have not noticed any oil stains on the driveway where i park but i guess i could try out the newspaper idea, couldnt hurt, thanks for the idea.

dalton

1 - 20 of 26 Posts