BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have recently spent almost 3000 bucks on fixing problems on my car within the past 2 months... im so sick of my dealer now.... i used to enjoy going to my dealer for car service, just to check out some new cars... but because ive been there too much, its actually painful to go and stay in dealer for me... :sad:

well, the most recent problem i have is on the "idle valves"... the car makes weird noise when first accelerate from idle, and the rpm actually goes down (instead of revving up) as i give it more gas to go uphill (weird), and the engine makes this really loud noise but the car doesnt go any faster.... have you guys ever had problems with it? if yes, what happened? and i would like to know how much it costs to fix, and what happens if i dont fix it.. my dealer charges me 400 w/ labor to fix it.. is it a rip off? :dunno: :dunno:

·
Nonsense Generator
1,110 Posts
Hmmm, what do these noises sound like? My car has been acting wierd when accelerating from idle. Like a bog in acceleration.....I am interested to see if we have the same problem.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it sounds like its sucking in air.. but it cant... it sounds like its suffocating... a buzz sound? hard to describe the noise.. :(
does urs makes the same sorta noise?

·
Nonsense Generator
1,110 Posts
Exact same thing. It makes a "psssshhhh" when its sucking in at low rpms, and it like bogs for a second and struggles. Mine has been doing it on and off, and yesterday I played with my Gruppe M intake and repositioned it. It was pushed too far back and making and odd kink in the hose...it seems to have cleared it up a little, but I am not sure if it is a perm. fix.

Let me know how it goes with your dealer, if your in So Cal theres a great place called Avus Autosport in glendale. www.avusautosport.com

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yep... i'll update on it... but as far as the dealer told me, it makes the noise because the "idle valves" are broken... but again, its dealer's words... cant take it 100%.. they always try to rip people off.... hehhe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the kind words regarding Avus Autosport. We finally have updated our page for those in the so cal area.

This problem is common on the 2.8 engines and is likely a crankcase ventillation valve. Cost on the part is about $43 and labor is $255, so you're at about $300 with tax.

Hope to see some more E46's around the shop.

Happy new year to all
Andrew

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
koo... i'll look forward to avus autosport.. cuz seriously i think dealer is too much of a rip off, especially on owners who dont have warranties anymore

·
Registered
371 Posts
Wasn't the crankcase ventillation valve or hose part of a recall for '99 E46. I remember I had mine replaced for free after my warranty period. Let me look for the receipt...

·
Registered
248 Posts
BMW are expensive cars to repair after the warranty has runs out. Try taking the car too a reputable repair shop that specializes on BMWs. CA must have many places to take a BMW for repairs other than the a BMW dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts