BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2000 bmw 328Ci. My transmission has been acting up in the past year. I experienced the infamous "no reverse" problem. But its not the same as others no reverse problem. The car sometimes doesnt shift into reverse, reverse acts like a second neutral. But after i drive for a while in Drive, the reverse gear magically works again. This has happened 2 or 3 times. I have been reading and I dont think i have the ZF Transmission where the reverse gear completely strips because after i go in Drive, the reverse works again. I think its the TCC PWM solenoid.

·
Registered
664 Posts
early steptronics r known for this and i have ex[perience this alrdy lol\\

go get it rebuilt don;t take to stealership

·
Registered
15,977 Posts
the problem is, you have a different transmission than i do so the no reverse is caused by different things, so please dont tell me to "go get your transmission rebuilt" please
what's the difference, if it was built by the same manf. Check if your car was built before march 2000 and then you can tell it is different.

·
Registered
797 Posts
the problem is, you have a different transmission than i do so the no reverse is caused by different things, so please dont tell me to "go get your transmission rebuilt" please

You probably have found it, but if not, check out that www.noreverse.org website and see if they can be of any help. It's possible someone there is experiencing exactly what you are. Hope that helps, good luck with it!

·
Banned
657 Posts
give ur car a chiiiiilllll pill to make it happy. or threathen to kick the shiiiiet out of it if it doesnt behave and go back to normal. maybe its just being hardheaded. you should sit down wit a cup of tea and some ritz crackers wit ur car and just lay everything on the table and work things out. maybe ur car is feeling down and the "no reverse'' is its way of letting u kno that its depressed.
=)) oh and btw call Dr. Phil, he might be able to help !!!

·
Registered
66 Posts
trans is going out

sorry to say your trans is going to die i had this problem with one of my cars before the reason you get reverse back after driving awhile is the trans warms up so let you car warm up before you used it that should be a easy way to keep your trans alive

·
Registered
435 Posts
your tranny is going to die.

not the news you want to hear, but it is the sad truth.

better to have it rebuilt before it completely craps out on you though, don't want to be stranded!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I agree, they need to rip the transmission out and fix it internally. Better to do it now then wait to replace the entire thing. And hey when its all open you can get them to fix some stuff that is worn out at the sametime.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Didn't you do a swap to a 5-speed manual? :confused:

Edit: OH A OLD BUMP. Very sneaky.

I have a 2000 bmw 328Ci. My transmission has been acting up in the past year. I experienced the infamous "no reverse" problem. But its not the same as others no reverse problem. The car sometimes doesnt shift into reverse, reverse acts like a second neutral. But after i drive for a while in Drive, the reverse gear magically works again. This has happened 2 or 3 times. I have been reading and I dont think i have the ZF Transmission where the reverse gear completely strips because after i go in Drive, the reverse works again. I think its the TCC PWM solenoid. What should i tell my mechanic? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
26,305 Posts
Neil,

A planetary gear system hanging in your room? Like over your bed as 'we' did for our babies? I built a Calderesque (sp?)mobile out of my old sway bar end links, therm, WP, and idler pulley and hang it in front the the TV so I can watch it!

I actually didn't read that thread...having a manual, not being a mechanic but trying to pretend, I'm fortunate not having to learn anything at all about automatics...but I've got enough I need to keep up with without that trans.

Oh, and I don't have that mobile, but have a feeling I will soon!

Doug

BTW, 200,000 miles yesterday at 5 p.m....you guys feel anything?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts