BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im driving back home today on the freeway when all of a sudden, it starts beepin, most if not all gauge lights come on and the needles drop back down for like not more than 2 seconds and then everything goes back to normal. But the trip computer and the clock did reset themselves. It is like -5 here right now so im thinking it was just the temp but still wat happened and should i have it looked at?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i had a p46 kit installed like two weeks ago but that shouldnt have done anything after two weeks right

·
unregistered user
825 Posts
mine did that one day when I was on a road trip and it scared the sh1t outta me. dunno what caused it but its been fine and hasn't done it since. weird. have no idea what caused it.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
mine did that one day when I was on a road trip and it scared the sh1t outta me. dunno what caused it but its been fine and hasn't done it since. weird. have no idea what caused it.
+1. Like seven or eight months ago I had the same thing happen on the freeway. Happened when I disengaged the clutch. It hasn't happened to me since neither but I'm afraid of it happening again.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
MAF sensor need cleaning?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Yeah it was scary for me at least. I lost power everything at a very high speed for what felt like forever. Not cool.

Has anyone diagnosed this problem?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im gonna go to the indy shop where i get my work done and have them look at it. would it have thrown a code? ill ask them about the maf sensor. any other possibilities for problems? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Same thing happened on the wagon about a year and a half ago in the middle of a long drive on the freeway. There have been several threads about this happening to others since then, and I don't recall any real answers as to what really caused it.:hmm:

I just so happened to have the wagon scheduled at the dealer for some unrelated warranty work several days after this happened, and they found nothing out of the ordinary when they looked at the computer.......

·
Registered
24,531 Posts
when it happened to me, the EML light came on and i lost all throttle response whatsoever. the engine also sounded like it was being choked. i looked into it and found that the car enters "safe mode" and what it does is disengages throttle response and basically goes at a bare minimum until you get the problem fixed or in my case, just restart the car. i dont really know why it does this but the only time it happened to me was when i stopped the car, took the key out, put it back in and started it again..maybe something to do with the computer resetting? :dunno:

·
Halfway to 2L
2,490 Posts
I have had this problem before. WHen my xtec ballasts died, I bought a set of ballasts of a brand I had never heard of, and they caused my gauge cluster to reset itself like you described about every 5th time I started the car and turned the lights on. It stopped after I bought a set of prolumen ballasts. What ballasts are you running in your P46's?

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i have the prolumen ballasts that it came with

·
Registered
516 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its weird because why should teh problem arise like two weeks after ive had them installed ya know? but yea ill have it looked at sometime soon

1 - 16 of 16 Posts