E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe it, it's not mentioned anywhere in the documentation but my Factory Fit Standard Business CD plays MP3 files.

I read on a BMW 1 Series site that the Professional CD plays MP3, so I just thought I would try my Business CD. My 3 series was built in September this year if it makes a difference.

Anyway, I put a CD-R (a cheap non branded CD-R at that) in with each MP3 Album in it's own folder and it took a couple of seconds to work it out, but then the first track started playing.

Didn't display the ID3 tags, but does distinguish between the folders and tracks. I will post a picture later to show what I mean. You can also click Random to shuffle all tracks, and if you click the little "m" (manual) button it lets you move to the next folder from the steering wheel controls !!

This is fantastic, although I still have my ice>link with all my mp3 files on, at least I can carry a few CD's when the Ipod is elsewhere

:yikes: :woot: :yikes:

·
Registered
153 Posts
This is an undocumented upgrade to the Business CD players installed after 09/2004 (it only works on Business CD, not NAV versions).

/bfg

·
Registered
291 Posts
I read somewhere that this is standard going forward on all CD players / car models from BMW.

Anyway, congrats - cool feature. Maybe I should get a new CD-player again :)

·
Registered
313 Posts
sh!t thats off the hizzle, Im gonna want a newer one now. works out well so i can get xm directly too

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In case anybody is interested in the software version of the Business CD I was asked the following on another forum "Can you get the software version info? While on Radio, Hold down the "m" button till the s/n is displayed. Hit the "+" key, the next screen should be the software version info."

Will I did this and the software version is "SV 38-04 630" if you want to compare it to your own.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
dammit mine didnt work!!!....maybe cause i bought the car in august....one month before the undocumented change....could the software be upgraded?

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
why wouldnt it work on nav but work on business

·
Registered
447 Posts
Does it still skip?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no idea why they have limited this to the non-nav CD's? It does not make sense.

To be honest the MP3 CDRs play much better than normal audio CDs on CDR. Playing normal audio the CD is very fussy about what type it plays, it was bad with cheap non-branded. But so far whatever MP3 CDR I have thrown at it I have not had a single problem. And some of these are only a few pence each.

·
Registered
73 Posts
has anyone try to order the new business cd player from circle or pacific yet? how much do you think it is?..... i'd rather to put that in instead of getting ipod or other mp3 players. makes it a lot easier.....

·
Registered
55 Posts
konijay said:
has anyone try to order the new business cd player from circle or pacific yet? how much do you think it is?..... i'd rather to put that in instead of getting ipod or other mp3 players. makes it a lot easier.....
I am really really curious too....can anyone clarify this??

·
Registered
21 Posts
bfg said:
This is an undocumented upgrade to the Business CD players installed after 09/2004 (it only works on Business CD, not NAV versions).

/bfg
They do work on the late nav headunits. Mine plays them fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ahh man that sucks.. mine is produced 7/04... tried it... dont work... arg!! just few months off

·
Registered
304 Posts
h4pry said:
They do work on the late nav headunits. Mine plays them fine.
How late is yours and what software and hardware versions do you have.

You can get these by entering the Settings menu and then hold down the Menu button for about 10 seconds.

My Nav System does not play MP3, it was built 08/04. :(

I have V24 software (4-1/40 in top left of setting screen) and the following other versions :

On Board Computer
Software Level 40
Hardware Level 48
Diag Index 51
Bus Index 11
Encoding Index 00
Supplier 17

Navigation/Graphic Element
Software Level 0400
Hardware Level 10
Diag Index 06
Bus Index 14
Encoding Index 05
Supplier 0145067.10

Video Module
Software Level 12
Hardware Level 02
Diag Index 05
Bus Index 13
Encoding Index 02
Supplier 09

Richard

·
Registered
43 Posts
im thinking that US models wont get it.....

1 - 20 of 57 Posts