BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Senior Registered User
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
** I have ommitted this So. Cali body shops name right now for legal purposes and waiting on any compensation from this body shop. If nothing happens soon, you'll get the name

Recap, my e46 BMW was turned in on May 28th, 2003 at this So. Cali body shop for my car to get repainted from keyed mark, Hamann kit painted and installed, trims painted, grill painted, headlight trims painted, and interior trims painted silver. Earlier this week, after 5 long months, *bodyshop called and said my car was complete-- 5 months and 1 day exactly. So, I went down there Wednesday evening and the car was far from complete. I stayed at *bodyshop until 1am in the morning waiting for my car to be finished.

The owner said that even though I could drive it home that night, I still needed to bring it back after SEMA to get the following things done:

1. Car needs to be completely waxed due to many swirl marks across the car
2. side skirts thick and rough glue marks needed to be repainted over because it LOOKS HORRIBLE
3. back bumper had an 3" inch long scratch painted that night but still needed to be color-sanded and finished later
4. the inch long CUT in my leather upholstery on my driver SEAT needed to be fixed
5. off-color paint marks on the fender needed to be repainted over
6. an inch long scratch on my hood needed to be painted
7. my loose side trim needed some double sided tape
8. my front left grill needed to be glued together because they broke the clamp. :banghead:

So with all that I took my car home. On Thursday, my car battery was completely dead. I had to charge it 3 times during the day and finally needed to go to the dealership and get a brand new battery ($175 for a battery! but my friend had a contact at a dealership so it was $125). The owner apologized saying that he would see his workers would work on my car all day with the doors open. So after the 5 long months of battery dead, I needed a new battery the day I bring it home. Also, the service engine light warning light was "on" when I got it which shouldn't be since I just got a major tune-up (Inspection II) service done to my car before it turned my car into *bodyshop. So the day I get it back, Thursday, I spend all day by buying a new battery and go to a muffler place to get my muffler lowered because it was rubbing against my rear add-on. I brought it into *bodyshop to make a final check with the owner because the kit looked like it has some loose screws and he said that everything would be okay before I came back next week after SEMA to finish up the above. So that same night, I was driving with my girlfriend on a straight, normal street and all of the sudden I hear a noise. Later, I pulled over to see that my authentic, original HAMANN FRONT ADD-ON FELL OFF! The front add was completely smashed by other cars in the busy street!! I took a look at it closely and I noticed the Hamann add-on was mounted with double sided tape and with 2 loose screws-- NOT THE GLUE I GAVE THE OWNER TO MOUNT THE KIT WITH!! :banghead: :ben:

I am beyond upset now-- I can't express the stress over these 5 months and now this! I have been EXTREMELY patient with *bodyshop. My last resort was taking some legal action but the resort is looking more like the only possible way I will get my compensation for this nightmare. If this is not fixed FAST, and compensated 100% then what am I left to do? Any suggestions???
:dunno: :banghead: :ben: :ben:

·
Senior Registered User
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Turned it in to get it repainted from keyed mark, Hamann kit painted and installed, trims painted, grill painted, headlight trims painted, and interior trims painted silver.

Owner had 5 months of excuses from workers quitting to pieces they broke.... they BROKE 3 things-- 2 window trims and my M3 LIP SPOLIER!!!! :ben:

·
'a certain moderator'
38,212 Posts
what a horrible story :sad:

i hope they give u a FULL refund, because it looks like u will need to find a new shop to get all this stuff done correctly

·
name's PHIL
6,165 Posts
damn.....even if they compensate u, give a heads up to the peeps in your area not to go there ever again

·
E46Fanatic
3,134 Posts
i think after about 2 months i would've had enough. they obviously don't know the proper way to do business and it sounds like they don't even know how to do their business in the first place. i would honestly take legal action and take the car elsewhere. i think your gonna still be disappointed if you allow them to complete your car. good luck with everything bro, hope it works out

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
You're the one who waited 5 months. Sorry to hear, but after a week I'm calling every other hour.

·
name's PHIL
6,165 Posts
GordonMurray said:
You're the one who waited 5 months. Sorry to hear, but after a week I'm calling every other hour.

good point..........y would u wait so long even if they gave you BS excuses........for all the things u mentioned u were getting done, an appointment shouldve been made......hopefully u did that, and even after that 1 MTH tops to get all that done..........y did u wait so long bro:dunno:

·
Senior Registered User
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys for all the support-- this is a real NIGHTMARE for me!! ...and the sad thing is, this body shop has been given much love before on this forum! I wouldnt wish this treatment on anybody.

PLEASE e46ers in SO CALI, TELL ME A PLACE THAT KNOWS HOW TO PROFESSIONALLY PUT ON AND PAINT A HAMANN KIT!! No side skirt glue marks, no LIPS FALLING OFF IN 1 DAY, etc!!! :dunno: :banghead:

PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Not acceptable. If they can't get it right now after 5 long months, don't hold your breath on any resolution. why did you even allow it to last 5 months. the work you needed done should only take a week, the most. I would have just left and made them pay for each and every part they broke. there are other bodyshops you can take your business to. did you know the owner? if you did, obviously he didn't do any favors.

I feel bad for you and I hope the best of luck to you....

·
Senior Registered User
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
...because the one of the group publisher of one of many car magazines we do recommended me to him-- he is his friend. a very well known magazine and a very well known body shop AND A VERY BAD EXPERIENCE!

·
Senior Registered User
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm calling every other hour.
believe me, i called his shop, called his cell, almost every other day, and sent faxes with all the things that needed to be done.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,183 Posts
after this nightmare when you finally get done with that shop

ask around the board for a good shop to get your body work done in. i am sure their are places that are good just search for members that can give you the thumps up where they go. that
is the way to go for work on your car. and when you do go to their shop. i would let them do a little job and see how fast and to see how good their work is. before you give them a big job to do. that way you are protecting and double checking their work so you won't get burn't again.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
INDEED
1,144 Posts
sorry, man, i wouldn't give them more than a week. any semi decent shop could have done that stuff within that time no problem. get a lawyer if they don't give you want they want.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wow man sorry to hear you are having trouble. These guys do not sound reputable let alone competent. In the end its your car and leaving it there for so long, you must have known there were problems or an underlying story. I hope that you didn't take it to these morons cause they cut you some kind of deal.

I would walk away, take the car to a "reputable" shop, where the BMW dealership would have body work done, have them examine the car and offer an estimate to correcte errors etc... Show the estimate to the owner of El Incompetento Body Shop and ask him to pay. Give him a week to blow you off one last time then sue him in small claims if >$5000, or get an attorney if <$5000.

·
Senior Registered User
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Calling all So Cali residents with a successful experience getting your Hamann kit painted and installed--

PLEASE PLEASE TELL ME A PLACE THAT KNOWS HOW TO PROFESSIONALLY PUT ON AND PAINT A HAMANN KIT!! No side skirt glue marks, no LIPS FALLING OFF IN 1 DAY, etc!

Thank God my house hasn't burnt down yet, too.

·
Senior Registered User
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I heard alot about A1 autobody in huntington beach... do they do a good job with Hamann kits?

Also, anyword on Eli's Auto body shop?

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
T,

Oh my god, i cant belive its actually that bad, i know that shop was bad, but not that bad...Look, call me up as soon as you can so i can set u up wit the person i told you about, he will very good care of you, and cheap too..

-Ray

1 - 20 of 32 Posts