BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving my 2004 325ci and I put the clutch in to put my car in third gear but I couldn't find it so I went to put it in second couldn't find it so I let my foot off the clutch and put it in neutral I come to a complete stop try to press the clutch in and it's rock hard shut the car off and still nothing anyone know what it could be I checked the slave and the master both dry not leaking fluid

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
There has to be a period or a comma in there somewhere. I hope we are able to help you out. The clutch and the brakes share a brake fluid reservoir. Are the brakes working fine? any recent brake work?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No work on the breaks recently and the breaks work good, I'm thinking it's something in the bellhousing? Thanks for your reply

·
Registered
555 Posts
I'd get under the car, crack the slave cylinder bleeder screw, and try and press the clutch pedal. If fluid comes out then you've eliminated the possibility of a blockage within the master/slave. Then, try pulling the slave cylinder and pushing the rod in/out. If that works then you have something mechanically binding within the bell housing. What other history about that car can you tell us? Has the clutch ever been serviced/replaced?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for replying. I bleed the slave cylinder fluid came out so I pulled the slave the slave plunger Rod pushes back and forth well I don't know much but the car just bought it a month ago. The guy didn't really tell me much about it the clutch worked well before that never had any issues or leaks

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hmm. When you say you couldn't find 3rd or 2nd, was it grinding as you were trying to get into gear? When the engine is not running, can you get it into gear?

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Hmm. When you say you couldn't find 3rd or 2nd, was it grinding as you were trying to get into gear? When the engine is not running, can you get it into gear?
Be able to shift into gears or not has nothing to do with why the clutch slave cylinder rod cannot move. The thowout bearing or the fork had been jammed.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Yeah sounds like something in the bellhousing. I wonder if the bearing came apart or something since its odd that you couldn't find gears when the issue started. Either way, its probably going to be a transmission removal job...

Carefully (or have your mechanic carefully) inspect the input shaft sleeve for damage before reassembly since you're having binding.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts
Carefully (or have your mechanic carefully) inspect the input shaft sleeve for damage before reassembly since you're having binding.
Input shaft as primary shaft? what is the input shaft sleeve? You meant the thow-out bearing sleeve guide?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Thanks for replying. I bleed the slave cylinder fluid came out so I pulled the slave the slave plunger Rod pushes back and forth well
Does the pedal feel any differently after doing this? What you just described points to either the master or slave cylinder. My guess would be the master.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Does the pedal feel any differently after doing this? What you just described points to either the master or slave cylinder. My guess would be the master.
The master could definitely be seized or something, although they don't have a way to overextend so that would be odd.

OP since your car isn't drive able anyways, remove the hydraulic hose from the slave and see if you can push the pedal down. If it still doesn't move then your problem is in the cabin

Sent from my Pixel 2 using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
169 Posts
The master could definitely be seized or something, although they don't have a way to overextend so that would be odd.
I've seen seals go bad and fluid get in the wrong area, so to speak. It ends up a hydraulic lock within the cylinder. Pulling the boots off and checking for fluid is the first step. Since the OP said the shaft moved in and out normally it seems that the list is fairly short now.

·
Registered
3,103 Posts

OP since your car isn't drive able anyways, remove the hydraulic hose from the slave and see if you can push the pedal down. If it still doesn't move then your problem is in the cabin

[/URL]
OP said " I bleed the slave cylinder fluid came out so I pulled the slave the slave plunger Rod pushes back and forth"

This means the master cylinder is fine. what he should do is just remove the slave cylinder from the bell housing, then step on the pedal and see if the slave rod coming out, then try to push the rod back in. This will prove the hydraulic works or not. If this works then something jammed up the throwout bearing fork inside the bell housing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you everyone for the replies I bled the slave fluid comes out pedal goes down to the floor very soft tho no catch guessing it's the clutch fork pivot pin or release bearing

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thank you everyone for the replies I bled the slave fluid comes out pedal goes down to the floor very soft tho no catch guessing it's the clutch fork pivot pin or release bearing
Unfortunately that sounds like the case. If you're going to a shop you'll probably want to replace your clutch and flywheel while you've spent the labor to pull the transmission. Certainly get OEM throw out and pilot bearings

Sent from my Pixel 2 using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
So I was driving my 2004 325ci and I put the clutch in to put my car in third gear but I couldn't find it so I went to put it in second couldn't find it so I let my foot off the clutch and put it in neutral I come to a complete stop try to press the clutch in and it's rock hard shut the car off and still nothing anyone know what it could be I checked the slave and the master both dry not leaking fluid
Does the slave actually move when you depress the pedal?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
1,956 Posts
If it did the same thing.
If you did the same thing, r&r slave etc.

Then it's clutch time.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts