BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my car back from service and I had them check the air conditioner because it smelled like mildew. I get my car back today and its smells about 5x worse I cant even drive with it on now, is there a break in for the AC? Is this normal? Did my dealer just totally screw me over? thanks....:cry:

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
I just got my car back from service and I had them check the air conditioner because it smelled like mildew. I get my car back today and its smells about 5x worse I cant even drive with it on now, is there a break in for the AC? Is this normal? Did my dealer just totally screw me over? thanks....:cry:
i remember a mechanic talking about this before and how they had to change the gaskets or something because antifreeze smell.

Could an old cabin air filter be the cause of this? Or maybe moisture located around ventalation system? Sorry i couldn't help more. good luck

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i remember a mechanic talking about this before and how they had to change the gaskets or something because antifreeze smell.

Could an old cabin air filter be the cause of this? Or maybe moisture located around ventalation system? Sorry i couldn't help more. good luck
thanks man if it doesnt clear up by the end of the wknd ill be bringin it back to the dealer...:(

this is South Bay Bmw

·
Registered
26,534 Posts
1) replace micro filter (carbon filter)

2) allow the AC to run for a while on high

if that doesnt work, they do have supplies for AC setups....most people just change the micro filter and do the Lysol (sp?) trick

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
^ Werd charcoal Activated Filter :bow:

·
Registered
4,341 Posts
just blast high heat for about 5 minutes. then make sure you turn your ac off about a minute or two before you turn your car off.

The mildew problem is caused by people running the AC right up to the point of turning off the car. The condenser then sits saturated with moisture and mildew grows on it. The cost to clean this mess is about $200 at the dealer. It can be avoided by turning off your AC a few minutes before turning off the car - giving the condenser a chance to dry out.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
The mildew problem is caused by people running the AC right up to the point of turning off the car. The condenser then sits saturated with moisture and mildew grows on it. The cost to clean this mess is about $200 at the dealer. It can be avoided by turning off your AC a few minutes before turning off the car - giving the condenser a chance to dry out.
dude wtf. mom always told me to turn it off before i shut off the car for a few minutes. I can't blieve she is right...

Jeeze, mom is always right. I never knew that to be dead honest. I mean I knew the physics but I never knew that it happened in the vent ducts. Wow.

mom +1 me 0

·
Registered
536 Posts
dude wtf. mom always told me to turn it off before i shut off the car for a few minutes. I can't blieve she is right...

Jeeze, mom is always right. I never knew that to be dead honest. I mean I knew the physics but I never knew that it happened in the vent ducts. Wow.

mom +1 me 0
:hmm:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts