BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, just baught 01 325i 116k miles, but i changed the cabin air filter and blasted the ac to maybe get the smell out but still nothing. its a dirty rag type of smell. any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Take the cabin filter back out, roll down your windows, A/C fan on high, and spray lysol into where the cabin filter used to sit. Spray a bit then make sure you can smell some lysol from the vents and spray some more. It is the build up of condensation after you shut off the A/C which caused mold to grow.

I had the same problem in my truck. It did the trick. YMMV.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
sup broski we use da english on dis thread holmes

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
This is pretty common in our cars, and genuity is right. Kill whatever is growing in the vents and the smell will go away.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Sup guys, just baught 01 325i 116k miles, but i changed the cabin air filter and blasted the ac to maybe get the smell out but still nothing. its a dirty rag type of smell. any suggestions?
That dirty rag smell could actually be an oil smell from the valve cover gasket. The air intake has been known to suck in fumes from the smoking oil that drips onto the exhaust from the valve cover.

The oil filter canister also has a gasket between it and the engine block that can leak. This one doesn't leak onto hot surfaces, but it still can smell.

Then, there is the smell that comes from the intake tract itself. Others have described spraying air fresheners into the intake.

·
Registered
5 Posts
be careful spraying **** into the vents... I was watching my buddy do this number today when the cleaner made its way from the vent down into an opening or something.... either way it ended up behind the stereo I am pretty sure, as about ten minutes later the volume started to change itself on his business cd... a little rubbing alcohol and baking in the sun fixed it, but just throwing it out there

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Get rid of the smell by spraying Lysol or any good air freshener into the intake (under hood). Do this a little at a time and repeat several times over a few days.

Once you have gotten rid of the smell do this to keep it from returning: When you use the A/C in the warm weather, make sure to shut off the compressor (press A/C button to shut) about 5 minutes before you get to your final destination, but put the fan on high. This will blow air through the system and allow the A/C evaporator to dry out and prevent mold from building up on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts