E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$(#$*#@(! I can't f'ing believe this! I was TRYING to leave work, started the car, it hopped around like it was full of bad gas or something (filled it 5 days ago) and then dies. I FINALLY got it to run, drove it home, it died every time I came to a stop (it is an automatic). The tach 'bounces' between 500 rpm and 1500 rpm when it is willing to idle and 'hop' around in the garage but then just dies again within 20 seconds.

The engine light came on (as if I didn't know). I have made an EMERGENCY appt. Monday morning w/dealership but I'm PISSED that it has 50,600 miles. Why didn't this happen 600 miles earlier? What the hell could it be?

Please say extra prayers for her.....

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
That suck...sorry to hear about that...hope everything turns out fine...but if something big is going to be changed, you're gonna spend a bomb man!!!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Wow man, sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out. Something must not be normal though because my car works fine with about 70K on it. I will say a prayer for you.

·
Registered
426 Posts
if you're past warrenty find a really good indipendent shop, so you don't spend a fortune, give me a location and I can searc one out for you.:thumbup: it sounds like it could be the ICV or the Vanos:dunno: being that it stalls at idle in an auto tells me it has something to do with the ICV -idle control valve.

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will check plugs

It definitely acts like just 2 or 4 cylinders are firing (is that possible). The wife reminded me that it is a 'CPO' certified Pre-Owned car that carries a warranty to 100,000 miles (I bought my 99 from dealer in 2002, it was a lease car turned in). I'm hoping that means that it is going to be COVERED! Do you suggest having it 'flat bedded' from my house to dealer?

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Certified Pre-Owned

I just looked at BMWUSA.COM, this is what they claim IS covered under my CPO warranty:

In general: The Certified Pre-Owned BMW Limited Warranty is designed to protect owners from defects in materials and workmanship on covered parts and components. The broad coverage includes the parts and systems listed below except where specifically noted in the "What is Not Covered" section of The Certified Pre-Owned BMW Protection Plan Consumer Information Statement (available for examination at your BMW center):
Engine
Automatic/Manual Transmission
Final Drive Assembly, Propeller Shaft(s)
Front Suspension
Rear Suspension
Steering
Brakes
ABS Brake System
Electrical
Air Conditioning/Heating System
Cooling System
Interior/Exterior
Fuel System

Do you think I should swap out my CAI for the stock intake just incase they try to claim that had ANYTHING to do with it?

·
Slow in, slower out
4,410 Posts
klangford said:
$(#$*#@(! I can't f'ing believe this! I was TRYING to leave work, started the car, it hopped around like it was full of bad gas or something (filled it 5 days ago) and then dies. I FINALLY got it to run, drove it home, it died every time I came to a stop (it is an automatic). The tach 'bounces' between 500 rpm and 1500 rpm when it is willing to idle and 'hop' around in the garage but then just dies again within 20 seconds.

The engine light came on (as if I didn't know). I have made an EMERGENCY appt. Monday morning w/dealership but I'm PISSED that it has 50,600 miles. Why didn't this happen 600 miles earlier? What the hell could it be?

Please say extra prayers for her.....
This has been happening intermittantly since my '01 325 was new except I never got the engine light until recently. The dealer always claimed that there were no stored codes so there was nothing they could do. I hope the engine light means there is finally a stored code.

Ed

·
Registered
306 Posts
Over 2 years ago my car died just pass the 50k miles. Can't remember if it was my oxygen sensors, catalytic converter, or something eles. Dealer still did fix it under warranty. I'm guessing it's your converter. I heard it a common problem pass 50k miles.

Hope your dealer takes car of you.

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE: This morning I popped the hood and saw my AIR INTAKE and mass air flow sensor were DISCONNECTED and laying in the engine bay. I have since re-connected it and the thing starts, idles and runs like it always did. The engine light is still on but was this the problem? What would the idle-control-valve do if the sensor didn't 'sense' any air flow (i.e., it is laying in the engine bay).

Could that explain the stalling, poor acceleration, etc? I drove it about 10 miles this morning, floored it etc., and it is running like the day I bought it.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Please elaborate on what was disconnected? Was your electrical connection to your MAF sensor disconnected, or was your CAI disconnected from the MAF sensor intake? If it was the actual electrical connector then absolutely you could have experienced those problems. If it was just the CAI that was disconnected then definately not good for the engine and maybe through extended use in this condition could have caused the problem.

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The electrical connection to the MAF itself was not disconnected BUT the MAF and the intake both came disconnected from the air duct itself thus no air was 'flowing' as far as the MAF sensor would have been able to tell.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
So you're MAF wasn't able to read the air coming into your engine....you'll probably have to get bmw service to reset your fault light, but should be good to go if you've reconnected the maf and cai. whens the last time you played with the intake enough to cause that stuff to come off?

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It has been fine for months then LAST WEEKEND I decided to 'reseat' it and polished it.....thus causing my own problem I suppose?

·
Registered
433 Posts
klangford said:
The electrical connection to the MAF itself was not disconnected BUT the MAF and the intake both came disconnected from the air duct itself thus no air was 'flowing' as far as the MAF sensor would have been able to tell.
Yes, that was your problem. Good thing you checked before taking it to the dealer.....................the mechanics would have been talking about you for days........................:lmao: :lmao: :tongue:

·
Registered
949 Posts
klangford said:
UPDATE: This morning I popped the hood and saw my AIR INTAKE and mass air flow sensor were DISCONNECTED and laying in the engine bay.
Gotta admit that's kinda funny. You had me worried for a sec.;)

·
I got nothin'
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
BAVARIAN323i said:
Have you installed any software in the car?
Very timely question but I have no other software, just factory spects. What is interesting is that I practically had my finger on the 'submit' button to order my Shark Injector after reading all the positive stuff about it. I would have freaked and blamed that if this had happened AFTER the Shark.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts