BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone Im new here, my uncle told me this is a great place to troubleshoot and find some answers hopefully. I bought my bmw off a guy who said it was always garaged and gently driven on the highway. the car was driving funny and I couldnt figure out the problem so I took it to bmw , they told me front struts are leaking, rear struts are worn,and rear springs broken. and a leaking power steering hose. recently I Was driving and I thought one of my calipers was seized up... I went ahead and bought all new rotors and brake pads and thought I might replace calipers if need be.. turns out the emergency brake was sticking and may have been the culprit for the noise and driving issues I had attributed to a caliper.. I also replaced the rear springs.. my car is still pulling both left and right and without consistency other than that 65 mph + is a factor.. and I cant determine why this is..

my uncle thinks maybe I have a bent rim.. also I plan to replace the tires and get an alignment but only after I know the problems fixed..also one of my tires has a small bubble in it. any isight would be great. also i am looking for a recommendation for which struts to put into my car.. thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Replace the tire asap.
Then get an alignment.
If that doesn't solve the problem, worn bushing or ball joint would be my next area to focus on.

As for struts/shocks, I run H&R and like them (they are more performance oriented than oem replacements). You can't go wrong with Bilsteins either.

Sent from my [device_name] using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
19 Posts
How long have you had the car? Is the suspension all original? How about the wheel?

What's the condition of your from CAB? Is their any play?

What's the shape of the tires? Cupping? Wear?

·
Premium Member
28,970 Posts
Front control arm bushings are known failure points, often they fail quickly as 30-40k miles. If the lower control arms and front control arm bushings are original and the car has close to or over 100k miles, they are probably overdue for replacement. Shocks and struts are also way overdue to replacement as well.

Also check rear suspension and trailing arm bushings. Search steering Guibo as well. This is a connector between the steering shaft and the steering box that can get sloppy.

Alignment is probably something else that needs to be addressed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts