E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 70 Posts

· Registered
200 Posts
Guys, on the headlight surrounds: back when these things were new, black surrounds were used on the 325Ci, and silver were used on the 330Ci. BMW's OEM factory parts catalog listed silver trim pieces as valid PN options, but they are no longer available. I bought the silver trim pieces for my 325Ci, and can get you the PNs. Just a bit of history........

· Registered
781 Posts
I've heard that you can see the front wheel move when braking indicating worn suspension bushings. what do you think?
Thats what i think too.

The spindle which your wheel is attached to is attached to your strut, and the wishbone + associated mounts which attach it to the body, with bushings.
I bet the bushings at the wishbone are worn after considering above. assuming the spring is still in once piece

· Registered
2001 330xi 208k
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Thats what i think too.

The spindle which your wheel is attached to is attached to your strut, and the wishbone + associated mounts which attach it to the body, with bushings.
I bet the bushings at the wishbone are worn after considering above. assuming the spring is still in once piece
New bushings are on my list.

· Registered
2001 330xi 208k
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Rectangle Font Material property Electric blue Gas

With the tinted windows it’s hard to see what behind you when backing up in the dark. I saw these bulbs reviewed on a YouTube video and they definitely help.

Bicycle part Gas Household hardware Engineering Auto part

Scraped off the original seal on the DISA and installed an o-ring. I could tell it seals better now

Hood Automotive tire Car Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Hard to tell here but one of the lines deep under the intake is greasy. I have a feeling I’ll need to dig deep one of these days.

· Premium Member
10 Posts
I swear, you guys out in the Pacific NW have it lucky. That's some pretty outstanding paint for a car of that age. My 325xi spent part of its life on the Mass coast and it has rust on the rear 3/4 panels. Also, those rims are rare for a 330xi or at least to my eyes.

The 330 is so much more fun vs the 325 bc of the extra punch.

· Registered
2001 330xi 208k
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I swear, you guys out in the Pacific NW have it lucky. That's some pretty outstanding paint for a car of that age. My 325xi spent part of its life on the Mass coast and it has rust on the rear 3/4 panels. Also, those rims are rare for a 330xi or at least to my eyes.

The 330 is so much more fun vs the 325 bc of the extra punch.
Unless you live on the coast around here rust is less of an issue. Keep in mind they don't use salt on the roads here.

A quick search seems to indicate three wheel types for the 2001 330ix. I'm sure there were more.

But I can't seem to find any like what are on my car. The assumption is that they were not offered in 2001.

· Registered
2001 330xi 208k
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
I drove the other night and noticed the headlights weren't super bright. Although not as based as some headlight covers I've seen they definitely were showing their age.

I picked up the RainX kit and went at it. I certainly didn't get them perfect but it's a good enough improvement.

You can see where the main beam has actually crazed or melted the cover. Nothing I can do there.

And there's something on the inside of the cover too. I wasn't about to take them completely apart.

I'll either live with it the way they are now (improved) or replaced them at some point. I'm fine with some cheap eBay replicas if they mostly fit. I'm sure the seals are starting to fail too.

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Vehicle
Automotive parking light Grille Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Car Grille Hood

· Premium Member
Е46 sedan M52B20TU 1999
231 Posts
I drove the other night and noticed the headlights weren't super bright. Although not as based as some headlight covers I've seen they definitely were showing their age.

I picked up the RainX kit and went at it. I certainly didn't get them perfect but it's a good enough improvement.

You can see where the main beam has actually crazed or melted the cover. Nothing I can do there.

And there's something on the inside of the cover too. I wasn't about to take them completely apart.

I'll either live with it the way they are now (improved) or replaced them at some point. I'm fine with some cheap eBay replicas if they mostly fit. I'm sure the seals are starting to fail too.

View attachment 966057

View attachment 966056

View attachment 966054 View attachment 966053 View attachment 966056 View attachment 966055
You can not change the whole headlights, but just replace the glasses ... there are good and inexpensive substitutes ... glue the new glasses with a protective film and last a long time. The seal changes just as easily ... you can use a universal butyl cord.

· Registered
2001 330xi 208k
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
You can not change the whole headlights, but just replace the glasses ... there are good and inexpensive substitutes ... glue the new glasses with a protective film and last a long time. The seal changes just as easily ... you can use a universal butyl cord.
I think I’ve got them polished out to a morally acceptable level. I could really tell the difference tonight.

I think my next task is to clean the ICV.

21 - 40 of 70 Posts