E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

First time poster but long time reader and this one seems unique to me, perhaps.

My 2001 330ci Sport Auto with 86K on it has just been in my local garage so that they could look at some handling issues, air bag light, MOT, etc and as part of the process I told them to road test it thoroughly to identify all of the different, and what I consider incorrect feedback that you get.

Anyway, they may have identified and helped to somewhat solve my problems but when I went to pick it up tonight after work, on leaving there premises the first time I put some weight on the accelerator I noticed that I couldn't press it down very far at all. I turned round and went back in to the garage to find that the pedal was hanging loose by the ball joint connected moveable push rod that disappears through the firewall. The pedal is held only from the hinged point at the bottom and only pushes on the rod at the back.

See my pic below.

I had no choice but to leave the car there. They said they would look at it first thing tomorrow but who’s to blame? I certainly have never noticed that it was feeling loose and it certainly wasn’t hanging off like it is when I took the car in there.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I think the whole part shown in the image above will need replacing as it comes complete.

Thanks,

Rob

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
someone was giving one away for free - do a search

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You lot may want to check the state of your Gas pedal hinge where it meets the floor as it could be pretty bad if it broke off like mine at a time when you needed lots of power.

I've got my car back now, they had to replace the whole throttle module. They said they charged me cost price and no labour so I figured that because I really couldn't have known how long it would have lasted anyway, I'd just pay the £81 the wanted.

At least I'm on the road again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ditto

Hi,

First time poster but long time reader and this one seems unique to me, perhaps.

My 2001 330ci Sport Auto with 86K on it has just been in my local garage so that they could look at some handling issues, air bag light, MOT, etc and as part of the process I told them to road test it thoroughly to identify all of the different, and what I consider incorrect feedback that you get.

Anyway, they may have identified and helped to somewhat solve my problems but when I went to pick it up tonight after work, on leaving there premises the first time I put some weight on the accelerator I noticed that I couldn't press it down very far at all. I turned round and went back in to the garage to find that the pedal was hanging loose by the ball joint connected moveable push rod that disappears through the firewall. The pedal is held only from the hinged point at the bottom and only pushes on the rod at the back.

See my pic below.

I had no choice but to leave the car there. They said they would look at it first thing tomorrow but who’s to blame? I certainly have never noticed that it was feeling loose and it certainly wasn’t hanging off like it is when I took the car in there.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I think the whole part shown in the image above will need replacing as it comes complete.

Thanks,

Rob
Same thing happened to me..picked up car from service and limped home....in Oxford and BMW garage want £80 for part and £80 squid to fit it...so I am busy trying to figure out how to fit it myself..so far no joy in removing the awkward blinkin thing...
I reckon to save time during the service they stick one leg into the car to rev it and it pulls the pedal over to one side..possible...?
Midge

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.