E46 Fanatics Forum banner

my 323i overhaul/install. pics.

10K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  Orion329 
Over the summer I did a complete revamp of the crappy stock system (non-HK) in my 323i. At first i was really hesitant to start in on a project as epically more complex than the speakers I've dropped into perfect fit openings and the amplified head units that I've installed without any complications. I've never had subs before either.

Here's what my final install used:

Amps:
-Infinity Kappa Four
-Infinity Kappa One

Speakers:
-Infinity Kappa 60.9cs (front and back)
-JL 8W3 (2x)

Audio Processors:
-LC6i
-6XS

I did the rear woofers first, since I figured that wouldn't be too bad for a warm-up, and I could use the speakers with the factory amp for a while.

If you want to get a glimpse of my rear deck install, check out the DIY I wrote up after I did it (when I was more motivated and dedicated to taking pics).

The following are a series of pics that document the majority of my install. I'm missing some pics of the final installed LC6i and 6XS, as well as my distribution block/fuse holder for all of it....they might come soon.

Hopefully this will help with other installs.

Trunk Preparation/Infinity Kappa Four Installed:

I separated the wiring after removing the stock amp. I was very meticulous about the labeling of the wires and used this handy guide for the majority of my info for getting ready to do the install. At first I had created a very nice hinged mount for the terminal blocks I was using to send wiring to the speakers in the car, but ultimately ripped it out in order to limit any extra unwanted signal from entering excessive wiring. I used a tap set to put threaded holes along the ledge of the left side of the trunk to mount the crossovers on 1/2" MDF. The mount for them was comprised of three pieces of wood to fit them in one at a time. I also used an 'L' bracket to mount the two vertical pieces to the base.

The amps are both mounted to the underside of the rear deck by using 3/8" plexiglas I had lying around. It was lighter and thinner than wood, and looks nicer. The amps are both mounted to the plexi, then the plexi is bolted to the deck with threaded holes I had to drill. I also made a series of threaded holes to use in conjunction with the brackets seen on the last pic that hold my wiring in place. I was very happy with the look of the mounting and wiring.
It scares me how far behind I am. Class.

Where do you guys in the US get those terminal blocks from?

Are they available in the UK?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.