E46 Fanatics Forum banner
61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
What did you use to paint the OEM Wheels?
I wet sanded the wheels, primered them with Motip primer, then put on a layer of Motip matt black paint. No idea if this brand is known worldwide, but it has served me well in the past. I didn't use a clearcoat because that would make them too shiny. The first wheel I painted wasn't perfect as can be seen in the last picture, but that has been rectified by now;)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I wet sanded the wheels, primered them with Motip primer, then put on a layer of Motip matt black paint. No idea if this brand is known worldwide, but it has served me well in the past. I didn't use a clearcoat because that would make them too shiny. The first wheel I painted wasn't perfect as can be seen in the last picture, but that has been rectified by now;)
Where can I purchase this paint?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
I just googled Motip and it seems to be a German firm with a branch in Belgium. I guess you'll have to look for an alternative stateside ;)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
"2005 Bmw 330Ci ZHP mk4 navi w/ 16:9, quaife lsd"

Are you happy with your diff? I am also looking into it.

btw What does ZHP actually stand for?

I'll dig up some more pics of the black rims:)

·
Registered
636 Posts
"2005 Bmw 330Ci ZHP mk4 navi w/ 16:9, quaife lsd"

Are you happy with your diff? I am also looking into it.

btw What does ZHP actually stand for?

I'll dig up some more pics of the black rims:)
ahh im installing the quaife later this week, i figured i did the hard part by finding and purchasing the diff, waiting on my diff bearings to come in tomorrowish, i already have someone who will install the lsd into the carrier, and the zhp is the performance package 330 on this side of the lake, same body kit and rims as you, plus hotter cams, are the high points

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Good lord, you get authentic ACS rims for crappy days, and authentic BBS LMs for good days?!?!?! And type 135s for winter?!?! So that's how the other half lives!! :bow: :rofl:

The AC Schnitzers were a real bargain. Let me put it this way: my next set of tires will be more expensive than the rims:woot:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
are all wheels originals or replicas?

I'd never buy anything replica, no wheels, no mirrors, no maintenance parts. My bank account was large enough for an M3 with replica crap wheels or a 320 with nothing but the best :craig:

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
Are you LMs full polished? They look amazing
Here's what happens to the wheels. They go into the tub which is filled with ceramic or ss grit. The wheels are clamped and then turned in all directions until it is as shiny as you can see in the pics. One wheels takes approximately 24 hours.

Here you can find more examples of finished wheels. I must admit that they are a ***** to keep clean.
I will have a shoot soon and I know the photographer can make them even stand out more with his pics:str8pimpi

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
OMG, I can't say ***** here? ***** ***** *****:rofl:

61 - 80 of 84 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.