BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just one more reason I love my E46. This car at a complete stop took a rear end hit from an Escalade at around 25 mph that never hit the brakes. I was shocked when I was able to drive off the main highway to a side street when directed by law enforcement. My front passenger and I are shaken and sore but wow. Just wow. What a good girl.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The impact sent me into the car in front so both bumpers were affected. No broken glass and all 4 doors and the trunk work as if nothing happened. I drove the car home. I***8217;m going to have it checked out mechanically and cosmetically but I think she***8217;ll be around a little longer. Only has 104k miles. Before I got out after the impact I said that***8217;s the end of this car thinking for sure it was totaled. I***8217;m still shocked.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Glad everybody is okay. Well-designed cars protect their passengers by absorbing and diverting the forces of impact. Hoping for the best but sounds like this was a hard impact. GL

·
Registered
171 Posts
Sound like the Escalade hit above your driveline. Glad you both are okay ... that is the car's main function, in my opinion.
Glad the OP and passenger are okay, but I'm thinking 25 MPH from a body-on-frame 5,500-pound truck would heavily damage an E46 and the passengers would have soft-tissue neck injuries.

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
Glad the OP and passenger are okay, but I'm thinking 25 MPH from a body-on-frame 5,500-pound truck would heavily damage an E46 and the passengers would have soft-tissue neck injuries.
Everyone overestimates impact speeds. There's no basis for judging how fast a car came up from behind you. The escalade driver was probably slamming on the brakes. The last time they looked at the speedo maybe they saw 25, but you can get from 25 to 10-15 mph in almost no distance.

Car's totaled almost certainly.

·
Registered
3,819 Posts
My 323i was totaled after being rear-ended by a Prius at lower than 20 MPH speed.
Battery safety deployed so I could not drive after the hit, the two rear doors were almost completely jammed...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Everyone overestimates impact speeds. There's no basis for judging how fast a car came up from behind you. The escalade driver was probably slamming on the brakes. The last time they looked at the speedo maybe they saw 25, but you can get from 25 to 10-15 mph in almost no distance.

Car's totaled almost certainly.
Exactly. I'm new here, so I took a bit softer approach. 25 MPH from an Escalade would of hurt pretty bad. Glad the OP is okay. At 25 MPH the BST would have most likely fired.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts