BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it shifts fine when your drive slow bur when you get in it it shifts real hard 1st to second can anyone help me??

·
Registered
249 Posts
I had this same problem in my E46, but it only happened when I took it past 5500 RPMS in first. I never did get it fixed since I seldom ever needed to get that high in first gear. Plus, I noticed that often when I had the car in sport mode the tranny shifted smoothly. That always led me to believe it was simply a software issue. I would try that and see if it makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
How many miles on your car. Your transmission is probably failing sad to say... the hard shift is the transmission slipping. But as the others said, try to change the fluid and the differential bushing.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
How would you check the fluid? There isn't a dip stick for it, is there a site hole somewhere on the tranny itself?
ya. sorry that might ahve been kind of rude lol. but ya get the car up on a lift, then there is a trans fill bolt. you level it in neutral with the e brake on at a temp of about 90-105F (basically if the pan is almost but not quite burning you you are good, or measure with software) then fill until fluid pours out of the fill hole at that setup.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts