E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My 2002 E46 325ci will randomly die when I'm in stop-n-go traffic and I'm moving slowly. All the lights on dashboard light up and the wheel locks in place. Could it be an electrical problem... Has this happened to anyone else? ---- My car also has 83k

·
Registered
93 Posts
Do you have an OBDII scanner? Could be a number of issues.

·
Registered
93 Posts
no I don't have one. is that something that connects to the computer to give error codes?
Yes it is. You can find them fairly cheap on ebay.

·
Registered
29,905 Posts
No. Not alternator. If it was the alternator, this wouldn't be a reoccuring problem. It would be a problem that happens once until the battery is dead and couldn't be charged again. (Unless this just started happening today but I'd still be doubtful)

This could likely be a fuel pump. I don't understand how your steering wheel is locking up since AFAIK, the pin that locks the column in place is mechanical and would require the key to be turned to the off position...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
apologize.. steering wheel doesn't lock fully. the car slowly dies and I have to turn it off then back on to get it going again.

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
apologize.. steering wheel doesn't lock fully. the car slowly dies and I have to turn it off then back on to get it going again.
does the car sputter when you put your foot down? I know when there's gas pump issue, car will sputter and missfire under load.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no the car doesn't sputter it kind of just shots off without making a noise. I think it might be a leak in the intake hoses. Thats just what I have compiled from researching other forums.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts