BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 637 Posts

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well guys the e46 is gone. I was looking around for a car I could build into a more aggressive street/track set up and came accross this gem from a friend of a friend.

1991 325i coupe

The only picture I have for now. This is going to be my build thread. I will post more pictures tomorrow.

build plan can be found here

Basically I am just going to do little (read: sub 2 hour) projects for the time being mainly revolving around the interior and electronics and order and stockpile parts until winter break rolls around. Then the real building will begin.

Aside from a blown suspension the car is pretty nice in every way, good tires, all windows, sunroof, obc work and it doesnt need any maintenance.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Day 1 update.

I had a camera and I forgot to take pics of the car. :facepalm:

It got its first bath today, and I moved on to the interior swap. the car had a grey non sports cloth interior whose driver side seat was totally busted. The car came to me with a decent grey leather sport interior.

So as I started to pull the old interior out I noticed an oder of cat. I hate cat smells so out came the fabreeze and scented it all away. The car was pretty dirty but after about 40 minutes with a vacuum I had a pretty clean carpet and about $1.13 in change. :)

All in all the swap went great except for the fact the pre previous owner was a moron. he tried to raise the driver seat by putting wood blocks underneath the seat bolts. However the front bolts on an e30 are actually studs. so they ripped/drilled those oyut and bolted carraige bolts through the floor. :facepalm:

In the end I got the entire interior swapped but the front driver seat is still giving me issue. The leather on it is all cracked so I got a walmart seat cover to put over it. Very comfy and much more supportive than stock.

Tomorrow I am going to go out and get the right bolts to be able to bolt the driver side seat down properly.

Another issue is this morning the battery was dead. a jump and we were good to go, but after some voltage checks the alternator doesnt seem to be charging the battery very much. even under gas the best reading I got was 12.9 V across the battery. I spoke to the previous owner and he said he had recently changed the starter and might not have connected everything. He said the battery was purchased in june, and that for the last 3 years he had no issue with it. So I left the car parked at my parents, since I have the bike on campus, and will go back tomorrow to check if I have any random wires hanging off my alternator.

Cliffs:
- Successful interior swap to leather sport
-Driver side seat still not bolted due to pre previouis owner being a moron
-charging issue needs to be resolved.

Pictures from today:

Interior coming out

Morons :facepalm:

The only spot of rust on the whole car :censor:

everything out

Rear seat in - got washed with water and then leather treatment before going in to the car

Passenger side in all original hardware took like 20 minutes

door cards in

Sorry thats all the pics I got - I was getting frustrated and running out of time cause I definitely need to study. So time to grab dinner and do that.

BTW those wires run from the headunit to the rear speakers. did I mention the previous owner was a moron.....

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I paid $2K to a friend. '91 325i coupe got it with a spare interior, extra head, new starter, new exhaust, and a bunch of random things like and extra headunit. Its pretty reliablle thats why i paid what I paid. Look to spend between 1.5 and 2.5K realistically for a decent milage clean car.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
I almost bought a 325es yesterday for $400 But It was garbage! Now I'm waiting and buying an M3 roller. And doing an S85? Swap. (E60 M5). I'll make a progress thread once I find the right one

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I almost bought a 325es yesterday for $400 But It was garbage! Now I'm waiting and buying an M3 roller. And doing an S85? Swap. (E60 M5). I'll make a progress thread once I find the right one
ya sub 500$ cars generally are. Now that would be one hell of a build thread. Good luck I would love to read one.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turns out I need another voltage regulator - has been ordered.

Also need shocks forthe passenger side seat. and the driver seat doesnt want to recline. lame. I want a raceseat.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DFW guys - anyone have a spare race seat they wanna sell/trade/give me. or a e30/e36 sports seat in good condition.

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
A mini update.

- Gave the leather seats another treatment of leather conditioner. and armoralled everything. It was thirsty - sucked it right up. Since the car can chill in the garage in the next few days I am gonna use this time to get them nice and supple.
-pulled the shitty voltage regulator - picture tells the whole story. got 13.3V w/ no increase at reving after I put it back. New one is on its way. thanks Steve from blunt tech.
- battery is almost back to 100% - another 24 hours and it will be fully charged again. no rush.
- got a few more pics of the car for you guys.
-:censor: Front seat now stuck in full recline - POS is broken, got it back to driving state but I want a new seat.

Battery charging

a few interior shots

the culprit - original voltage regulator

engine bay

a few inside garage exterior shots

and her brother (the more reliably of the two ATM)

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
So time for another little update.

-Replaced the Voltage regulator - charging still isnt in the high 13s yet, but it seems to be around 13.5V and working ok, I believe its trying to recharge the battery first. will keep investigating
-----Thanks Steve at Blunt Tech.
-Put in a ZHP knob - best interior mod ever
-----Thanks Jason and Even at Tischer for the great deal.

Pictures:

New voltage regulator

New vs old

And I managed to strip a screw :censor:

Couldnt find a replacement in my garage that fit right, so I did the Phillips to Flathead conversion

Are you too good for your hole? thankfully not.

I wonder whats in here?

busted old knob

the definition of happiness

And a few more exterior shots I remembered to take:

Do not like the full recline, need race seat. Please help :cry:

·
Registered
3,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 637 Posts