E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m experiencing multiple problems with my 2004 325I and I would like to get some opinions before taking it to the shop. Sorry for the long post.

Problem 1: I have seen similar symptoms on in the forum but always with manuals and not automatics. While cruising at highway speeds, if I accelerate any (say from 40, to 50 mph) my engine has a stutter. This first started a year ago but due to budget restraints, I could really do anything about it. I did replace the two o2 sensors before the cat but the problem still persists.

Problem 2: recently I made the tragic mistake of letting someone drive my car (no need to tell me how stupid that was, I have learned my lesson…trust me on this one). They parked way too far up on a parking block and ripped apart the splash guard under the engine…thus damaging the radiator, thus forcing me to ultimately replace the entire cooling system (fun side story to this, the splash guard acted as a giant scoop for a day before I could fix it and I managed to scoop up a cat carcass in that time. Pics not posted for obvious reasons). Point is, since I replaced the radiator, hoses, thermostat, and fan clutch, my cars fan sounds like a semi truck. But what’s worse is that it’s not shifting gears properly. The MPG meter seems to be constantly buried to the right and I have to drive it very, very lightly, accelerate, let off the accelerator, wait for the shift, then accelerate again. And with every mile I put on it, I just feel the repair bill mounting.

Any theories and ideas are greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Sounds like you could have a serious vacuum leak. However before you go and get a smoke test I would strongly suggest that you break-down and clean your MAF, ICV, DISA and TB. This is something that is relatively inexpensive and can be done in an afternoon DIY. Just my two and a half cents worth...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will definitely be pulling the codes this afternoon or tomorrow. I am just fine with DIY's and would be much relieved if this is the case. Thanks, will post the codes tomorrow.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.