BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 323i and i want to make the exhaust car a little louder without having to pay a lot of money. So I saw that a lot of people have taken off the rear muffler. I was wondering if that is safe, because I thought that the muffler usually provides back pressure for the engine. So my questions are, does it affect the car at all if i take it off? Does the resonator at the front provide the back pressure? Is the rear muffler on there ONLY for making it quiet?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Its gonna be loud... Really loud if u dont have the cats in... I personally like an aftermarket muffler... not too loud, not too quite and not much loss of backpressure... Give it some more thought and search the forum and search youtube vids on the subject...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thanks man. My major concern was the loss of back pressure. But since it's not that bad, I'm going to go ahead and do it

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
lol, this is a myth, and a stupid one as well.
It took everything in my power to not type a rant.

Mufflers only deaden sound. They do not restrict airflow in any way. The catalytic converters and the bends in the exhaust piping cause more restriction than a muffler could ever dream of. Just take off the muffler. You're not going to notice any performance difference. It will sound meaner, but it won't BE meaner.

EDIT: I'm sorry. I lied. You're going to lose 35 WHP. You better put some silicone sealant around the exhaust tip to make it a bit smaller to compensate. You'll gain another 80 WHP. Put NOS on it. Needs a drop and tints. Post pictures. Masturbate. NOS. Supe-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts