E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is this needed on all rear mtec bumpers, or only if youve got a "trailer hitch flap".

I managed to get my hands on a rear bumper skin (ive got the normal non-sports bumpers fitted at the moment), and i had to purchase the lower diffuser seperately. While checking out real-oem i've noticed i may be missing a piece. Can someone tell me where i stand with the "Water Deflector" - part number 12 in this link ..do i need this or not?.. can someone checkout their car to see if they have this?!

Hope someone can help me pleaseeee,
Thanks.

Edit:
see item 12 below:

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
:bump:

thanks

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Yes, you do need that part. It may be a water deflector, but it also serves as the part to which the diffuser is attached to. Without it you would have to retrofit/drill your bumper to accept the diffuser.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
daniel_zhp said:
Yes, you do need that part. It may be a water deflector, but it also serves as the part to which the diffuser is attached to. Without it you would have to retrofit/drill your bumper to accept the diffuser.
what are you talking about dude? no you dont need it, i guess it would "deflect" water but you dont need it and the diffusor clips in and SCREWS in JUST FINE w/out the water deflector. dont worry about it at all :thumbup:

·
ti-m-e
2,188 Posts
I installed several mtech rear bumpers and never used it. The diffuser can be attached w/o that piece.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just for an update, i went to the dealer today, and the guy in the parts department wasnt sure himself. he said it may be needed if you have rear parking sensors. i ordered it anyway, i guess theres no harm.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a CPO'd MSport, previous owner removed the deflector for what I think was a hitch (no longer there either), "thesethoughtsru" is right, it's simply a cheap piece of plastic that is connected with a few clips/screws. Must be to keep water from going up into the lip beneath the bumper - serves no real function in my opinion.

·
Banned
1,552 Posts
warmasice said:
just for an update, i went to the dealer today, and the guy in the parts department wasnt sure himself. he said it may be needed if you have rear parking sensors. i ordered it anyway, i guess theres no harm.

When you order a diffuser from the dealer, the wind deflector comes with it. It doesn't mention it, but it does. So you may want to cancel your order, once the diffuser comes in.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
When you order a diffuser from the dealer, the wind deflector comes with it. It doesn't mention it, but it does. So you may want to cancel your order, once the diffuser comes in.
yep, totally forgot to mention this, but yeah, you still dont really need it, it does make more sense for PDC since you have electronics in there, doesnt hurt to protect from water getting in, but not THAT big a deal.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,774 Posts
Maybe it's been a while, but I thought it was needed also to mount the bottom section. Without this, it seems to make the bumper act like a parachute. Although my new ACS one doesn't use this, I'va often wish it had something there. And yes, it's part of the diffusor package that comes in the same bag from the dealer. One could get away with out it, but it has nothing to do with the hitch. It actually mounts to the bottom of the spare tire well, my car wasn't predrilled with holes there, so it never fit too flush anyhow.
How did you all mount the two tabs to the bottom? Any tricks?

·
Registered
159 Posts
i have two extra ones if you want or need one.. the dealer gave me two when i bought it.. but my shop didn't even use one??

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Alex323Ci said:
Maybe it's been a while, but I thought it was needed also to mount the bottom section. Without this, it seems to make the bumper act like a parachute. Although my new ACS one doesn't use this, I'va often wish it had something there. And yes, it's part of the diffusor package that comes in the same bag from the dealer. One could get away with out it, but it has nothing to do with the hitch. It actually mounts to the bottom of the spare tire well, my car wasn't predrilled with holes there, so it never fit too flush anyhow.
How did you all mount the two tabs to the bottom? Any tricks?
Alex, i fitted the deflector. Fits like a dream, the bumper will not act as a "parachute" anymore adding drag. The piece has three tabs on the wheel well side. Two of the tabes have holes. The bottom of my wheel well had some bolt type threads protuding from underneath which slotted nicely into the deflector tabs. I then used some plastic nuts (part number: 51711958025) to secure it in place. There is now a tight seal between the bottom of the car and the deflector!

I might take some pics when i get the chance - no promises!

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,774 Posts
warmasice said:
Alex, i fitted the deflector. Fits like a dream, the bumper will not act as a "parachute" anymore adding drag. The piece has three tabs on the wheel well side. Two of the tabes have holes. The bottom of my wheel well had some bolt type threads protuding from underneath which slotted nicely into the deflector tabs. I then used some plastic nuts (part number: 51711958025) to secure it in place. There is now a tight seal between the bottom of the car and the deflector!

I might take some pics when i get the chance - no promises!
Cool, pictures would be nice since I didn't see anything like that built-in to my tire well. Curious, do you mean spare tire well or wheel wheel? Then again, since my car is an earlier model, they might not have put that on mine if the M-tech kit wasn't made yet? I'd hate to make any holes in my spare tire well.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Alex323Ci said:
Cool, pictures would be nice since I didn't see anything like that built-in to my tire well. Curious, do you mean spare tire well or wheel wheel? Then again, since my car is an earlier model, they might not have put that on mine if the M-tech kit wasn't made yet? I'd hate to make any holes in my spare tire well.
Sorry mate, yes i meant the spare tire well. Imagine 2 bolts screwed (and then welded solid) through from the inside, and the threads protuding from the underside of the spare tire well. I then used the plastic nuts to secure the deflector in place. Basically, everything was a perfect fit.

I will get you the pictures tomorrow, let me know if theyre of any help. I'm suprised more people dont use it!.. prob get a few more kph top speed! not that i drive above the speed limit of course. and yes, i think its probably because u may have an earlier model.

if you really want it, you may be able to position the deflector in place and mark the underside of the spare tire well, then drill through and push some bolts through from the inside of the trunk.

i hope that all made sense.

Cheers.
p.s. once you see the pictures, im sure you will agree its worth it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Heres the pictures as promised:

Do i see people going out to purchase this?! :thumbup:

..no more parachute effect.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts