E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001-330i MT Swap
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Long time listener, first time caller.
I bought a 2001 330i a month ago, swapped to manual, coded over the manual swap in NCS. Awkward though, because two different VINs are populating in AKMB & ALSZ.... and then same two VINs populating in EWS & KMB. One of them giving a VIN Error. Soo. Went to WINKFP to try and clean it up. No dice. Now its a crank, no start.
Tried Reflashing the DME with JMGarage to a newest MS43 update on Win4x and still no start. (added EWS delete because I thought with the EWS mismatch it was the issue) in TunerPro, flashed with JMGarage. JM said it was written properly, Bridged Pins 1&2 on EWS, sputtered and ran for like 3 seconds and then died and back to a no-start, now with an EML Lamp.🤦‍♂️

Car is 08/2000 (JS93199) which uses ZCS coding, but cluster was swapped from a 02/2004 330i (KM35389), which uses FA coding.

Now I'm lost down the rabbit hole and I've got a dead 330 in the garage.
Are you able to help me clean up this mess?

·
Registered
2006 325Ci M56 5MT
1,051 Posts
Any reason why you swapped the Cluster? No need to swap the cluster for AT -> MT swap. Unless your old cluster was not working, im pretty sure you need to code the new cluster with the correct VIN

·
Registered
2001-330i MT Swap
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello, I agree, I didn’t swap the cluster with the MT Swap, must have been the previous owner for some unknown reason.
I don’t know how to code the cluster with the correct VIN.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
What a mess...

You bought it after manual swap was done..Did it ever run after the manual swap?

It sounds a little like all the modules were not properly coded.. When I swapped my '03 530i, I had to code "all car" in NCS twice and then I had re-code a couple modules individually after checking in PA Soft (BMW scanner 1.4) to see that each module had taken the new ZCS info. It turned out that my car likely had a different cluster installed at some point by a previous owner.

you definitely have to get VINs and ZCS number consistent.

I think I would try to get your DME back to original (it is original to the car right?) Even if that means coding it as an automatic. I could be mistaken, But I thought a manual swapped E46 will start/run even if you haven't coded it yet to a manual (anybody confirm this?)

then I would code it as a manual.

then I would leave it alone.

·
Registered
2001-330i MT Swap
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So… The car was an automatic when I bought it and already must have had the cluster swapped (I didn’t know this). Then I swapped the manual transmission in it and did nothing to it, never even hooked the computer up to it, and it ran awesome. Then I went into NCS expert and was able to get rid of my gear icon so it was coded as a manual, even with the unmatched cluster. Then WinKFP to get rid of my secondary O2 sensors and secondary air pump and that’s where it all went to crap.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
and it ran awesome. Then I went into NCS expert and was able to get rid of my gear icon so it was coded as a manual, even with the unmatched cluster. Then WinKFP to get rid of my secondary O2 sensors and secondary air pump and that’s where it all went to crap.
so it started / ran fine after you coded it to manual ?

did you run it before you tried to code it with WInKFP?

·
Registered
2001-330i MT Swap
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, after I coded it to manual I drove it around like perfectly for two days. But it had a check engine light on because of the secondary O2 sensor is not being installed in the secondary air pump delete.
That was the whole reason I went into win KFP… And all the problems ensued. I got in over my head.

·
Registered
2001-330i MT Swap
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Where I started, the problem lies in the cluster it sounds like and he's DME. But... good news, I called a local speed shop and they gave me a new DME last night to try and voila! Literally fired right up.
So regardless of the mismatched cluster (pre vs. post facelift) their DME worked. All gauges, lights, etc.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
How was the DME they gave you coded?

- Coded for an e46 330i with all modules matching?
-EWS delete ?
-Did you give them your VIN to code into it?
-maybe it was just a standalone M54 DME?

I don't fully understand how a pre-programmed DME can be plugged into your car, not match the VIN/ZCS of several modules (LCM, GM, ZKE, etc.) and run the car.....

·
Registered
2001-330i MT Swap
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Gave them nothing. Just a stand-alone DME with EWS Delete I guess.
Pulled the batt cables, plugged up her, put power back to it and started right up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts