E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
00 323ci 5spd manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that something new breaks everyday on my car unfortunately… check me out guys, i was at a stop light, the stop light turned green i 1-2 and when i put It into second i heard a loud pop and then started hearing a whining when i was parking at work, the car still shifts fine 1-5 and i know the whining is probably low tranny fluid but can anybody help me determine what that loud pop was? Im not sure if it happens coming out of 1st or going into 2nd. Im going to do a tranny fluid flush today let me know if you guys advice me not do it and if i should do something else. Thanks!!

·
Registered
'04 325i, '02 325iT
1,403 Posts
I think I figured it out. Sometimes I get so excited during that 1-2 shift, I pop a boner. I bet you just got excited and the popping sound you heard was you getting a mad E46 chub.

Kidding aside, you probably just mis-shifted and let the clutch out too fast. As long as it's not continuing to pop on every first to second shift, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
00 323ci 5spd manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I figured it out. Sometimes I get so excited during that 1-2 shift, I pop a boner. I bet you just got excited and the popping sound you heard was you getting a mad E46 chub.
😂😂😂 didn’t help but definitely made my day

·
Registered
00 323ci 5spd manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey skrt (chaser).

you bought this 22yr old car at an auction less than 3 months ago… what did you expect ?
Well honestly I excepted alot more, copart said the car was run and drive with primary damage “normal wear” and ended up getting a blown car lol

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
8,166 Posts
I can state with 100% certainty that if you bought an e46 at auction to drift, the car hates you as well.

·
Registered
2004 330ci 6MT (since 2011). 2000 328i T 5MT (2005-2012)
1,488 Posts
Well honestly I excepted alot more, copart said the car was run and drive with primary damage “normal wear” and ended up getting a blown car lol
Copart's Runs and Drives just means they managed to start the engine, move it forwards 10 feet and move it back 10 feet. And they don't even guarantee it'll still do that when you pick it up. But then that's why auction prices are (or should be) lower than private party or retail, when you get the opportunity to test the car first.

To be fair though, 22 year-old cars do tend to break a lot anyway. I hope you don't have too many more problems with it, but that might be wishful thinking

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
8,166 Posts
It is $1,500 in parts to deal with basic wear items, and another $1,500 if you also want to replace the dead suspension and "more optional" parts. Short of that it will be an endless game of whack a mole

·
Registered
00 323ci 5spd manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Copart's Runs and Drives just means they managed to start the engine, move it forwards 10 feet and move it back 10 feet. And they don't even guarantee it'll still do that when you pick it up. But then that's why auction prices are (or should be) lower than private party or retail, when you get the opportunity to test the car first.

To be fair though, 22 year-old cars do tend to break a lot anyway. I hope you don't have too many more problems with it, but that might be wishful thinking
Well thank you for the good wishes as i just broke something else…

·
Registered
00 323ci 5spd manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is $1,500 in parts to deal with basic wear items, and another $1,500 if you also want to replace the dead suspension and "more optional" parts. Short of that it will be an endless game of whack a mole
Im already almost 10k deep into this car and everyday something new breaks :(

·
Registered
00 323ci 5spd manual
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I had to learn the hardway unfortunately

·
Registered
2002 325xiT
403 Posts

Kidding aside, you probably just mis-shifted and let the clutch out too fast. As long as it's not continuing to pop on every first to second shift, I don't think you have anything to worry about.
Oh no you didn’t! Bwahahahaha. I love it when the the tame step out a bit.

To OP, you may just have a project that you’re not up for, it happens. It might be time to cut your losses, sell it and look for something of a more “responsible buy,” even if you want to drift it etc. Maybe selling it isn’t an option if your really are 10k deep, but I’d expect at least a mildly well sorted e46 for that kind of coin.

·
Premium Member
5,389 Posts
I have to agree that if your anywhere close to $10k into even a cheap E46 your should have yourself a well sorted car. Unless the damage was more than it was worth fixing and that put you in the hole. $10k can buy you a nery nicely sorted E46 that's ready to go. Just please don't beat on a nice car by drifting it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Replacing Transmission fluid won't fix a pop. Further diagnosis is required. Open the hood and listen to where the whining is coming from.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts