E46 Fanatics Forum banner
101 - 120 of 383 Posts

· Registered
757 Posts
DME I received is a Siemens MS43 from a 06/15/00 330i :)

Not sure which software version it has on it though. The label states the VIN and the unit part number (7 506 307) as well as another part number which I assume is the ZUSB p/n. That number reads 7509443.

Checked on BMWFans.info and RealOEM.com, but no luck regarding the p/ns.

No matter what, the end result will be a European tune, but it would be nice to know the current tune on the car. Could have had an update, but it still denotes the VIN is from a 330i, which is great news!

On to the EWS...How will I know if the unit is paired to the DME? I have no tags other than the part number: 61.35-6 905 670.

And finally, where does the throttle pedal connection meet with the DME? That is my biggest issue yet. I have half of a harness for the Pedal, but no where to plug it in.

Let's get this project moving people!

· Registered
686 Posts
MOTOR DRIVEN THROTTLE VALVE

The MDK control function
has been integrated into the
ECM. The purpose is for precision
throttle operation,
OBD II compliant for fault
monitoring, ASC/MSR control,
and cruise control. This
integration reduces extra
control modules, wiring, and
sensors.

The MDK control function is integrated into the Siemens MS42.0 ECM. The ECM carries
this function out by regulating the engine throttle valve.
The engine throttle valve performs the following functions:

• Precision intake air control
• ASC control
• MSR control
• Cruise control
• Preset position during engine start up (if temperature is < 0ºC)
The new engine throttle valve (MDK) differs from the familiar EML in the following points:
• The accelerator pedal potentiometer (PWG) is now integrated in the MDK housing.
• A throttle cable is used to actuate the throttle potentiometers and also serves as a backup
to open the throttle plate (full control) if the MDK system is in fail-safe.

throttle cable (foot pedal controlled) is connected to a pulley on the side of the MDK/
The pulley is linked by springs to one end of the throttle shaft, the MDK electric motor is
attached to the other end of the throttle shaft.
With the pulley linked by springs to the throttle shaft, this allows ASC intervention to override
the driver’s set throttle position.
As the pulley and shaft are rotated, the twin potentiometers (integral in the MDK housing,
driver’s wish) are sensing the requested load. A twin potentiometer is used for back up
redundancy (fail-safe).
The MS42.0 ECM will actuate the MDK motor pulse width modulated in both directions at
a basic frequency of 600 Hz) which positions the throttle plate.
The second twin potentiometers feedback the actual throttle plate position, allowing the
ECM to verify correct throttle position. Again, twin potentiometers are used for back up

Engine Management Systems
MDK EMERGENCY OPERATION
If a fault is detected in the system, the following modes of operation are:
• Emergency operation 1 - Faults which do not impair safety, but which adversely affect
the functioning of the MDK.
• Emergency operation 2 - Applies when faults are encountered which might impair safe
driving operation.
• Emergency operation of idle speed actuator.
EMERGENCY OPERATION 1
• Activation of the EML warning lamp.
• MDK is deactivated, the throttle valve is opened mechanically by the springs and throttle
cable.
• To maintain vehicle control, the MDK opening is compensated for by closing the idle
speed actuator and retarding the ignition (engine power reduction).
• Engine power is further limited by fuel injector cutout.
Emergency operation 1 limits the dynamic operation if one or more of the potentiometers
fail. The engine can slowly reach maximum speed with limited power. The EML light will
be illuminated to alert the driver of a fault.
EMERGENCY OPERATION 2
If another fault is encountered in addition to emergency operation 1 or if the plausibility is
affected, emergency operation 2 is activated by the ECM.
An example of plausibility fault would be that the pulley position does not match the MDK
position and the associated airflow.
Emergency operation 2 can also be initiated by simultaneously pressing both the accelerator
pedal and the brake pedal, or if a fault is encountered in the brake light switch diagnosis.

Engine Management Systems
When in emergency 2 operation mode, there is an engine speed limitation (slightly above
idle speed) in addition to the measures for emergency operation 1.
In emergency operation 2, the engine speed is always limited to 1300 RPM if the brake is
not applied, and approximately 1000 RPM if the brake is applied.
The vehicle speed is limited to approximately 20-25 mph. The reason for limiting the vehicle
speed is if the MDK is wide open, the vacuum assist is insufficient for the brakes.
The emergency operation functions are inactive when:
• Ignition is switched off, main relay is deactivated, and engine is started again
• A fault is not detected
• Brake pedal is not depressed
• The throttle valve is in the idle speed setting
FURTHER SAFETY CONCEPTS
The MDK safety concept can detect a jammed or binding throttle valve as well as a broken
link spring. This fault is detected by the ECM monitoring the feedback potentiometers
from the MDK in relation to the pulse width modulation to activate the MDK motor.
Emergency operation functions if the throttle valve is jammed:
• Engine speed limitation depending on driver’s wish potentiometers and the MDK position.
• Limited vehicle speed if MDK is wide open.
• The ECM will alternate between 0 - 100% sensing ratio to “shake” the MDK loose.
In the event of a fault, the DIS or MODIC must be used to interrogate the fault memory, and
clear the fault once the proper repair has been performed.

· Registered
686 Posts
Good info. But how do I wire the pedal? Where does it connect in the grand scheme of this?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
MS42 and MS43 is almost the same. People think that MS42 uses mechanical throttle body but that is not true. The cable drives the potentiometer inside and electrical motor opens the valve. When electrical part goes bad than cable can operate the valve directly.

this means that is posible to just wire the electrical pedal and install MS43 dme in your car. I am investigating this now on my project car.

· Registered
686 Posts
Yes I've been aware of the throttle body functionality since I took ownership in May 2010.

My question still remains. Where does the pedal connect to the engine management?

Do you have the PDF files of MS42 and MS43 DME pinouts? I would like to take a look at them

Looks like MS43 could be internaly rewired to work as a "plug and play" on MS42 equipped car.

· Registered
7,659 Posts
Yes I've been aware of the throttle body functionality since I took ownership in May 2010.

My question still remains. Where does the pedal connect to the engine management?

It's been a while since I looked at our old posts, but if I remember correctly, we decided it'd be easiest to just run new wires for the pedal. It's only 6 wires, and it's not difficult to get to the DME box from there. Just about everything else can be reused however.

· Registered
757 Posts
It's been a while since I looked at our old posts, but if I remember correctly, we decided it'd be easiest to just run new wires for the pedal. It's only 6 wires, and it's not difficult to get to the DME box from there. Just about everything else can be reused however.
Yeah. But where does the harness end up being plugged in? That's the part that has me lost.

· Registered
686 Posts
Yup! Currently have M54B30 Manifold (c. November 2010), M54 fuel rail/filter conversion w/ purple top injectors and a long tube intake.

Headers and a custom 3" header-back exhaust are on the way after the management upgrade.
Cool. Well I am swapping M52TUB into E36, running full E36 exhaust sytem without catalists. I will get it running fine with MS42 then after all that is done, I will do a MS43 conversion.

101 - 120 of 383 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.