E46 Fanatics Forum banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

· Registered
7,659 Posts
Tuning opportunities... I can think of a couple possibilities. It uses wide-band O2s, so you can run closed-loop even at WOT. Also possible to tune for a variety of fuels (like E85) without breaking compatibility with standard fuels. And the MS45 in general is a more advanced CPU; faster calculations and more control. Likewise, it is harder to tune for than the MS43 (which itself is a good bit harder than the MSS54)

· Registered
7,659 Posts
Is there a MS45 with euro tunes?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MS45.0? Yes. MS45.1? No. MS45.0 uses narrowband O2s like most other BMW ECUs. Software might be compatible between the two (if you flash it at the EEPROM level), but you'd still need to change some hardware out

They're also sufficiently new that there won't be "Euro2" tunes for them

· Registered
7,659 Posts
Now would that require a new DME or a reflash of the EEPROM?

To turn an MS45.1 into an MS45.0 or vice versa? I think an EEPROM flash would be enough, but I cannot say with any degree of certainty. If it is enough, then you can run Euro Z4 code on a ZHP (if you change the precat O2s to narrow bands)

· Registered
7,659 Posts
So I bought a ZHP. this project is being scrapped on my end. If someone can document a straight swap and get a 2.8 M52 running MS43 I would love to see the gains.

View attachment 523039

Pic was taken in Lincoln, Nebraska as I was passing through on my way back to Baltimore.

Congrats! Shame that the ms43 swap never finished, but I'm sure you'll enjoy your ZHP. If it isn't already at the latest software, I recommend updating it via WinKFP

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.