E46 Fanatics Forum banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

· Registered
7,659 Posts
New parts installed this morning. Still won't fire. Not exactly sure what my issue is :(

Doesn't look like Bimmerfest is happening this year if I can't get it to turn over.

Anyone want to remote guide me for some coding. I'm already set up. Sent a text to Terra, but he must be busy.
Hey sorry, I've been strapped to an IV pole most of the day... I'll text you tomorrow afternoon/evening

· Registered
7,659 Posts
no, you need to use PaSoft BMW Scanner V1.40
I cant send you PM, wrote me to my email josedavidj gmail.con

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
No you don't...

And EWS doesn't care if its manual or not. Every US manual is detected as an auto by PASoft. All that switch does is enable/disable the clutch interlock

Also manual vs auto doesn't make a difference for the dme. Same software regardless. Clearing adaptions resets the module to manual if a tranny computer isn't present.

· Registered
7,659 Posts
A friend converted his 320iA to 330iA, just reflashed with appropriate software. after gearbox errors he changed the gearbox to manual and the engine did not start! it could only be solved by telling the car its no longer a auto.
That's because that's a Euro car, which don't have clutch interlocks. US cars do, and it sends the same signal to the EWS that the auto would. Unless he miswired the clutch sensor, this should not be an issue.

Do not need to do anything with PASoft to change that setting anyway. Change PARK/NEUTRAL_EINGANG to nicht_aktiv in NCS Expert. Exact same effect as telling PASoft the car is a manual.

Also if his car cranks without starting, it's not an interlock issue. If the car doesn't crank at all, then it could be.

Problem is that cheap INPA cable is only setup to read s single K line at pin 7 . On E46 there are two K lines on the diagnostic connector, one is for dme and EGS and other one is for other electronics pin 8. Some people get this working by just bridging the two.

I use pasoft v1.4 cable, clone. Then I just use the automatic detection then let software detect both the DME and EWS then I do alignment procedure.

Good "snap on" scanner can do it also.

This is the one I use, it is cheap and it works great on E46:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Scanner..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item1c33e0c40f&vxp=mtr

Not an issue in his case. He bridged the pins under the 20-pin connector so that all K-lines go to pin 7. He would not be able to talk to the EWS module at all if this were not the case.

BMW Scanner is not necessary. I've synchronized DMEs and EWS countless times with INPA.

· Registered
7,659 Posts
Just to be clear, it's cranking, but not firing, correct? I assume your fuel pump is priming? I am surprised you don't have any codes. It should throw an "impossible to start" code if it's failing to start. At this point you should test for spark

Also, check the EWS module itself for error codes.

· Registered
7,659 Posts
Budy, in my experience, I have to change the relays of the DME, those relays came in the O2 sensors and Automatic transmission (if the donor car was automatic) harness (O2 sensors and Automatic transmission came in one harness), because several plug differ from my MS42 setup and the new MS43 setup...
Basically, I use two MS43 harness, Engine Harness and O2 sensors harness.....
what harness you use? only the Engine harness?

regards,

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
I don't quite understand. Ms42 and 43 use the same O2 sensors and same relays.

· Registered
7,659 Posts
^ looks like you can replicate the same thing by simply splicing the extra wires. IIRC those extra wires are signals which originally went directly to the MS42 and then to the cluster from the DME. With the MS43, those signals go to the cluster, and then reach the DME over CAN.

Which gives me a good idea -- maybe we need to recode his cluster with MS43 settings so that it broadcasts that info over the CAN bus.

· Registered
7,659 Posts
I'm stumped. EWS is sync'd, no codes are being thrown (except for exhaust gas flap), the CAN bus is functional, and all sensors seem to be getting the right signals. I want to say that at this point the car should be diagnosed as if it's a factory E46 that isn't starting.

· Registered
7,659 Posts

· Registered
7,659 Posts
Okay so definitely some kind of fueling problem. If you can hear the fuel pump priming, then check the pressure at the pressure rail. If it's less than 50psi, either the fuel pump is crapping out, or the filter is clogged. If pressure is good, then there's probably something wrong with the wiring of the injectors.

· Registered
7,659 Posts
Yeah...A friend just suggested that the injectors could be out of sync with the .2L difference in displacement. I will rent a Fuel Pressure Tester tomorrow.
I don't know about that. TDC and BDC will occur at the same point regardless of displacement. The total distance the cylinders move is less, but the angles don't change. At the most it might be squirting a bit more fuel than it needs to, but that shouldn't prevent it from starting.

You could always try your original 328 injectors with a 325 tune... but I don't think displacement is the problem

Short Stroke vs Long Stroke

I think now that it will turn over, we can create a data log with the software you used yesterday.

Yeah -- even a few seconds of data could be valuable at this point

41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.