E46 Fanatics Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

· Registered
7,659 Posts
My MQS bushings arrived yesterday. Unfortunately it reached 93 degrees here today, so I didn't work on the car. I'd rather have my health.

Once I wire up the pedal and change some of the pin outs on X60004, it should start.
Looking forward to your results! I think you'll be the first to do an MS42 -> 43 swap without swapping an entire harness over.

· Registered
7,659 Posts
It has occurred to me that Alex's PDF is not labeled as well as it should be. And I think both of us are a little guilty of oversimplifying some of our thoughts. Let me see if I can come up with something

Edit:

Okay for the items labeled in red, this is how it works:

In the MS42, the signal went from the sensor, into the DME at one pin, out of the DME at another
In the MS43, BMW cuts the DME out of that loop. Signal goes to a connector, X6011, and then the signal goes to the targets from there. When retrofitting an MS43, you should be able to duplicate the original effect by bridging the X60003 pins to their corresponding X60004 pins. If you want it to be like factory, bridge the connections at the appropriate terminal in that X6011 connector (I do not know the part number off hand)

For the other X60004 connectors, the pin labels on the right refer to the connector that goes directly to the gas pedal. The left pin are for where the harness originates at the DME.

One unknown is whether or not the DME is dependent on the information from those signals. I think in MS43 cars, the instrument cluster relays that info to the DME via CAN. I'm not sure if MS42 clusters are capable of that.

· Registered
7,659 Posts
View attachment 503991

View attachment 503992

TP, from my research, it seems that this connector in my hand is the X6011. Where would these connections need to be located to? After splicing the black and green/brown wires into the 328 style plug I was able to get the engine to crank. I'm thinking that I'm very close to getting this started up for the first time in 2 months.

Currently dealing with a spinal issue that makes doing anything on the car impossible at the moment.
I think there's probably a male end to that connector as well.

Also I was looking at the cluster stuff -- if I'm reading it correctly, the cluster broadcasts that information over the CAN-bus regardless.

· Registered
7,659 Posts
Nope. I tried to get that stuff running but never managed to do so.

I am building a desk top at the moment so the current laptop is to be turned into the bmw machine.

So you think that there is a male connector somewhere in my body loom that was just left unplugged?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
No, I think you need to "make" that 8-pin/6wire male connector

You've got the right wires going to the right places, but you need the male end.

Pins 1 and 2 would come from that 2-pin connector remains in your box. Pins 3-6 would come from X60004 -- just match the colors to what you've already got.

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/en/svg/sp/SP0000014318.svgz

3 | BR/GR (Brown/ Gray Stripe) | X6231 Oil Pressure Switch Pin 1 | X11175 Instrument Cluster Pin 13 | MS42 input = X60003/Pin26 | MS42 Output = X60004/Pin11
4 | BL (Blue) | X6524 Alternator Pin 2 | X11175 Instrument Cluster Pin 2 | MS42 Input = X60003/Pin13 | MS42 Output = X60004/Pin1
5 | GR/BL (Gray/ Blue Stripe) | X6254 Oil Level Sensor Pin 3 | X11175 Instrument Cluster Pin 17 | MS42 Input = X60003/Pin39 | MS42 Outpur = X60004/Pin21
6 | SW/GE (Black/ Yellow Stripe) | X6511 Cable Shoe Starter Motor | X276 Motor Start Signal, Feedback |MS42 Input = X60003/Pin12 | MS42 Output = X60004/Pin2

· Registered
7,659 Posts
Can I just connect them with a crimp or do I need to buy the proper male ends and make the new harness?

I just need to get the car driving again. It's causing some strain on the newest driver in my family. And then its going to the shop for suspension and control arms.

Crimp/solder should be fine. Only issue would be if you wanted to remove that connector

· Registered
7,659 Posts
The seventh pin on the X6053 is connected to the relay responsible for the fuel injectors.
I'm a bit tired right now, but maybe you can make some sense of what you need to do:

Fuel Mixture Prep MS42: http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/us/svg/sp/SP0000007942.svgz

Fuel Mixture Prep MS43: http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/release/us/svg/sp/SP0000014323.svgz

Edit:

As far as I can tell, as long as your DME relay is still connected, your fuel injector relay should still get power. It's wired up a bit differently, but it all branches from DME Pin 1 either way.

Before going too far, check fuse 2 here

· Registered
7,659 Posts
Fudge...well if you have the time to help me out with that we could possibly get her going.

I know you're super busy. But if there ever was someone to ask for help you are that guy! I have this weekend off Friday to Sunday. Let me know if there is a time to help set it up.

I don't really have time to come down to you, but I can at least setup the software remotely

· Registered
7,659 Posts
Got a pm from them. No e46s in stock. But they are willing to exchange the parts. So that's good...but I don't know how much longer I can wait.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using BimmerApp mobile app
Do they have an x5 3.0 by any chance?

I think e39 might work too, but it has a different style key (lock cylinder has a different part number too)

· Registered
7,659 Posts
Oh those. Well for my own purposes they're not particularly helpful -- I have to replace EEPROMs on my MSS52 anyway since I want to convert it into an MSS54HP, and I can just BDM into it when I need to clear the flash counter. If I were regularly flashing / virginizing ECUs for profit, then perhaps it'd be useful. But I'm confident enough in my soldering skills that I can do it as a favor without breaking anything. I've done enough SO-44 chips that I'm not terribly worried.

Though I do see mouser has 1 in stock.. maybe I'll just order it since they seem to be back ordered everywhere else.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.