E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Okay, well I decided to tackle the throttle wires. It's actually fairly simple once you have it on paper. Basically, any wires that stayed with the throttle body kept their original pins on the DME side. Any wires that had to be added/moved to the pedal module got new pins on X60004.

So here's the table. Format is:
EDK - MDK - X60003 (MS42/43) - Label
1 - 8 - 19 - A_DKG1
2 - 2 - 7 - U_DKG
3 - 9 - 43 - T_MDK1
4 - 5 - 10 - A_DKG2
5 - 10 - 44 - T_MDK2
6 - 4 - 20 - M_DKG

Discard all other MDK wires/pins

For the pedal, you're best off making a harness yourself. 6-wires
PWG - X60004 - Label
1 - 12 - M_FWG1
2 - 7 - M_FWG2
3 - 14 - U_FWG2
4 - 8 - A_FWG1
5 - 9 - U_FWG1
6 - 13 - A_FWG2

That is the bulk of the wiring difference. The other major difference is how various diagnostic signals are routed. It appears BMW just has the signals going directly to the cluster (or other module) instead of the DME sitting as a middle man. I have yet to verify this though, that'll be for another day.

X60002, and X60005 are identical between MS42 and MS43. X60001 has an extra voltage supply on Pin 9 for MS42 DMEs. Otherwise it is the same. Per the tables anyway. I guess we should verify the diagrams also look the same, but I doubt they'd switch polarities on us for no reason.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Question:

What version of the MS43 should we be using for this comparison? The MS42 didnt have very many options, but the MS43 looks like they had different year ranges.

Should we just make two tables?
I'm using the oldest US M54 automatic variant in comparison with the US M52TU. I think any differences in later revisions will be for hardware they added later on (e.g. The SMG transmission)

And yeah the tables do make life easier, especially since the vast majority of the pins are in the same positions between the two modules.

Edit: also noticed that in addition to the differences I pointed out in my earlier post, they moved te signal for the SAP from pin 3 to pin 52 for some reason

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
It's actually not that bad.

For the MDK/EDK stuff, post number 5 just about covers it.

On X60003, 6 pins from the MDK are retained (and just have to be rewired into the EDK connector at the TB side); the other 4 are discarded. And the SAP signal has to be switched from pin 3 to pin 52.

X60004 are where the pedal sensor/driver's wish connections ended up. You're best off just making your own harness for this. Its only 6 wires, and it's not particularly hard to route wires from the DME box to the firewall. Now what may prove to be problematic is the "fuel tank leak sensor" depending on what kind of hardware that requires... but someone retrofitting an MS43 harness would also have to retrofit that, so it may not be that big of a deal (or it doesn't throw a code). I would not worry about pin 18 - it's just for the butterfly valve in the 330 exhausts. It's completely optional (won't throw a code)

Now the other difference are the various diagnostic signals (battery, oil level, pressure, temperature, etc...) - we'll have to go through the diagrams to figure out what BMW did with them.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Yes... its a cluster fuck. From what I've gathered so far, it looks like there will have to be some pins that are shuffled between module 3 and 4.

I think before we go any further, it would be wise to have a cost-benefit discussion. I was browsing ebay today and found several M54 wiring harnesses for around 70-80 bucks. How much is it worth to someone to save 70 or 80 dollars by reusing the existing harness?
More than the cost, I think it might actually be easier to reuse the harness. Because replacing an engine harness (that is somewhat integrated with the rest of the body) is not a trivial affair.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Okay, I took a little time to write out all of the changes that need to be made. Its pretty much exactly as simple as TerraPhantm is making it out to be (sorry it took me so long to realize what you've been saying all along).

From what I can tell, the bulk of the changes are that pins become non-functional. Unless I'm being presumptuous about pin functionality, there's about 14 pins that will no longer do anything or go anywhere. One pin will have to be moved to a new location. And there are 14 pins that will have to go to new wiring harnesses. 6 of those pins will go to the new throttle body wiring harness, another 6 will go to the pedal position switch, and the last 2 will go to an emissions circuit which is to-be-determined. It would probably be wise to disconnect those non-functional pins so they dont act like an antenna and bring EMI or other engine noises past all of the electronics filters in the DME.

Here's a spreadsheet of what I've observed thus far: PIN_REASSIGNMENT.pdf
Haha yeah, that's what I was trying to say - sorry I didn't articulate it that well :p

So I think we've got the DME side figured out pretty well. We still need to figure out where the "battery charge indicator", "engine start signal feedback", "signal oil pressure switch", and "signal oil level sensor" end up going on the MS43 cars. And the two fuel tank leak wires.

Here are the labels for those signals

X60004/Pin 1 = Signal Battery Charge Indicator (Input) = S_61--1
X60004/Pin 2 = Engine Start Signal Feedback (Input) = P_30H/S_30H (the same connection recieves both labels in different diagrams... I think S_30H is correct).
X60004/Pin 11 = Signal Oil Pressure Switch (Output) = S_OLD
X60003/Pin 26 = Signal Oil Pressure Switch (Input) = A_OLD
X60004/Pin 21 = Signal Oil Level Sensor (Output) = F_OLN
X60003/Pin 39 = Signal Oil Level Sensor (Input) = T_OLN

Edit: Okay, on MS43 cars, those signals all end up on a connector called X6011, which seems to basically splice them between the instrument cluster and the sensor.

However, one thing that's not as clear is the S_30H signal. Both the X6011 diagram and the MS43 cluster diagram show the wire going to a connector called X276. However, when you click the link for X276, it says it cannot be found. So I don't know what's going on there.

Edit 2: Okay, more digging, and it seems X276 is just a splice.

So it looks like my prediction was right, all of those connectors are going to the cluster directly now.

Edit 3: Looks like the MS42 cluster already recieved the S61--1 signal via a splice. So that wire can also be discarded on the DME end.

----------------------------
I realize this post is fairly unorganized, but the info is there. I'll see if I can find the time to make a clear diagram. Though I suspect Alex will beat me to the punch ;)

Only thing left to figure out is the leak sensor. I did notice that the "AS OF 2001_09" MS43 has another leak diagnosis pin (X60003/51), but more importantly, all of the leak diagnosis pins are labeled as US Only. So it might not be important.

Edit 4: I just looked at the US MS42 Table http://wds.spaghetticoder.org/en/zinfo/E46_PA6000C.htm

There are two "leak diagnosis" pins already present on pins 30 and 34 (34 would probably have to be moved to 20)! However, on the MS43, the two pins are both labeled as "output", while on the MS42 one is out, and one is in. But there are two wires going generally to the right area. So even if there's an electronic component that has to be retrofitted, it can be done with minimal work. Or you can just disable it via euro tune.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
So, now I'd like to change gears and talk about the next step: putting it in the car!

Let's start with the instrument cluster. Do we NEED to reflash the instrument cluster to have the car start, or will it start without the dash interfering?
It's hard to say with 100% certainty, but my gut feeling is that it will start. The cluster is still receiving the same signals it needs to. What I'm not sure about is if the cluster is capable of "broadcasting" that information over the K-BUS, or if it's even necessary.

One way to test would be to put an MS42 cluster in an MS43 car temporarily. It would best be a cluster from an early build, since at some point MID MY2000 (I want to say 04/2000), BMW put an updated cluster in the MS42 cars which ended up being the same one that early MS43 cars got.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
EWS is tied to the key of the car it came out of. There's a company called RPM Motorsport in Canada that could reprogram it. Or if you got yourself a blank MS43, it'd pull the EWS table from your car when it's first initialized.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
So, just for arguments sake, if the EWS is tied to the key, how people get new keys for their e46 and program the keys themselves without changing the ignition lock cylinder?

edit 1:

Okay, I talked to a friend in South Bay who's been tinkering with the DME. He said that the key and ignition lock core can be reprogrammed through the EWS module. He's not sure how to do it himself yet, but it can be done. Whether or not its worth it will depend on the price.

So, where we're at is that it IS possible, in theory, to hook up an MS43 to the M52TU wiring harness with some manipulation. I think as soon as we verify all of the sensors, servos, solenoids, and motors attached to the MS42 are the same as the ones attached to the MS43 then all thats left is to try it out!

edit 2:

Okay, I decided to help out Hornung418 a bit a sift through the part numbers on realoem.com. I came across something interesting about the "Suction Jet Pump". It looks like its referring to the fuel pump, but whatever it is, its located in the fuel delivery unit at the tank: Sucking Jet Pump Valve.

Also, I noticed that the secondary air pump already has a pin assigned to it on Module 4 pin 3. For the Module 4 connection, both the MS42 and MS43 already match up so no modifications need to be made. But for some reason theres a second connector going to the secondary air pump on module 3 pin 52, which the MS43 requires. wtf...

edit 3:

I figured out what the Suction Jet Pump Valve is and what it does. Its for the brake booster. Heres a description of what it does: Suction Jet Pump Valve Description. The description says that this part was only used on the MS42 DME so it looks like we can just remove it. That saves us another step and makes the MS43 more compatible! Yay!
I'm not sure that technician is correct. When you order a key from BMW, they order one with the right table of rolling codes so that it can mate with the EWS. When you insert that key for the first time, the EWS talks to it, verifies that it's correct, and then assigns it a number in its memory. When you "reprogram" a key with the button trick, that's got nothing to do with the EWS. Instead what's happening is that you're syncing it with the GM5 module so that the remote function works properly.

As far as the suction jet pump - my bad. I should've looked at the US MS42 pinout more carefully. Glad you figured it out!

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
My friend who was talking about the EWS reprogramming was talking about a hack. He still has to sift through the module and see if its possible, but he's confidant it can be done. I dont really care much either way, but it would increase accessibility if he could make it work! :)

So, now we're pretty much down to two things:
- the differences between the voltage regulators in the MS42 and MS43
- pin 52 on module 3 (the secondary air pump valve)

After this, we're pretty much done. I'm out of ideas on both though.

edit:

Also, I went through the parts diagrams on realoem.com to verify that all of the parts are the same between the M52TU and M54. It looks like 03/2003 is the conservative cut off for compatibility between parts on the two engines. Before 03/2003, pretty much the only differences in engine sensors, relays, servos, motors, etc, were limited to a delete of the suction jet pump, and the addition of DBW.

The pdf file comparing all of the part numbers between the two engine types is up in the first post of this thread.
03/2003 is when they switched to the MS45.1 (in the US/Canada... ROW stayed with MS43 for the entire E46 production run), so that makes sense

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
The MS43 DME has two outputs for this, which might be what you're talking about for the second pin assignment. One is for the secondary air pump and one is for the secondary air valve. These outputs are only used during warmup until about 48.3C (119F).
According to RealOEM, the M52TU cars and the M54 cars both use the same SAP assembly though (until 03/2003 anyway).

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
^ Assuming everything else mates up, you could probably just grab the pump from a junkyard car.

Or maybe check in with someone who's done an MS42 to MS43 conversion... I have never seen the leak diagnosis pump mentioned. Ever.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Just FYI, your ms45 info is wrong. All RWD E46 non-Ms in the US switched to the MS45 from march 2003. Also, all 325 SULEV models are ms45 regardless of build date. The xi models stayed with the MS43 for the entire run.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Bump for me...

Thinking about saving the cash on the engine management tuning part and just having the MS43 unit coded to EU2 330 specification. Part number: 12 14 7 552 618.

Thoughts? Besides the intake camshaft and the .2 displacement difference, the engine would essentially be the same. MAF, TB, Manifold/DISA, Fuel Injectors, Headers and O2 sensors. I have a set of stock 330 cams in my basement collecting dust and can throw the intake cam in if necessary. I think it will adapt for the missing displacement and make some great numbers. Looking to get this project moving as soon as I receive the engine harness promised to me by Bavarian Motor House.

Happy New Years!
Might be okay.

I could try studying the maps in the MS42 and MS43 and help you port them over. I've been learning a lot with the MSS54. Another ECU might be fun

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Would be great if you have time. Thanks TP.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
Honestly I would see how it runs with a stock 330 tune before making any other decisions. It might run a bit rich, but it'll probably actually be more appropriate than the 328 tune, simply because you're getting a good bit more air flow than with the stock manifold.

I definitely wouldn't spend several hundred on a tune in your shoes though. I'd rather put the money into getting a 3.0 rotating assembly.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
I don't want to go that far. I'm quite happy with my lil 2.8. I want to see how much I can make with that before I get into internal swaps. Next step is to get that LSD and replace all the rear end bushings with the AKG 90A and weld in the TMS kit, because I'm certain that there has to be some kind of damage back there, although I'm hoping it's clean. Checked out okay with the Class Action Lawsuit, but I don't think they really looked at it that much to really be able to tell if it was cracking.

No matter, if you're still outside of DC for your internship we could meet up and do some coding. Engine harness is on it's way should arrive by the 7th. Need to get boots and I'm done.
Fair enough - I understand not wanting to get too crazy with building up the engine. I only mentioned it since a good tune would cost about as much as a good condition rotating assembly anyway.

I'm not in DC at the moment, but I'll probably be back late spring.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
Yes I've been aware of the throttle body functionality since I took ownership in May 2010.

My question still remains. Where does the pedal connect to the engine management?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Bimmer App
It's been a while since I looked at our old posts, but if I remember correctly, we decided it'd be easiest to just run new wires for the pedal. It's only 6 wires, and it's not difficult to get to the DME box from there. Just about everything else can be reused however.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.