BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Paid $2.99 for a box of 4 Eraser Sponges at Home Depot and all it takes is one or two light wet swipes over the surface to erase the top layer of grime and grease and viola you now have a brand new steering wheel.

Today I hooked SolidJake's car up.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

·
Registered
5,893 Posts
Awesome stuff. Amazing results. I saw someone do this to an M3 tri-stitch wheel that was really worn and the results were phenomenal. It looked literally brand-new afterwards.

·
:D
7,725 Posts
Did it get rid of the worn surface on the lower left hand side of the wheel? Couldn't really tell from the pics

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
just dont use too much pressure. Ive had goodluck with leather cleaner and a cloth. Magic eraser is basically sanding away the contaminants

·
Registered
26,433 Posts
...and it's great on all plastic trim outside the car and the window trims between the front and back door...that black matte paint...and also, the chrome window trim, windshield wiper deflector too.

Use it easily. It's abrasive, so could remove too much of the finish, guys, if you rub too hard for too long. Be soft with it.

·
Shifting
31,924 Posts
Did it get rid of the worn surface on the lower left hand side of the wheel? Couldn't really tell from the pics
He didn't rub that part a lot because it is in fact worn out. I will try tomorrow lightly and see if it does anything.

·
Registered
124 Posts
for sure be careful because if you go too hard with the eraser your will wear away the leather to a harmful point. however when done right this is an amazing DIY

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks Del Marco another great find and DIY. I will try it next

No not my idea. I got it from an old thread in the detailing section a few years ago.

I think SNA77 :bow: was the one with the idea.

sort of...well the effect is much less apparent when all that KFC chicken grease shine is cleaned off the wheel.

·
Banned
1,074 Posts
thx, appreciate post........

..........have a pack of those under my sink.......if ever need to do this, I'll use, but will be gentle, gentle gentle.......

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,727 Posts
just dont use too much pressure. Ive had goodluck with leather cleaner and a cloth. Magic eraser is basically sanding away the contaminants
Exactly! This is old news and any detailer or car magazine will tell you this is a no no. It takes off a layer of the leather and that leather will be more prone to oil/dirt/grime damage afterwards. If you're not going to keep it then go ahead, but if you are you should just use a quality leather cleaner and have same results.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Exactly! This is old news and any detailer or car magazine will tell you this is a no no. It takes off a layer of the leather and that leather will be more prone to oil/dirt/grime damage afterwards. If you're not going to keep it then go ahead, but if you are you should just use a quality leather cleaner and have same results.
okay.

Well we knew what it do man. Which is why we used it to erase ONLY the top layer of grime and grease that is coating the leather underneath.

Like I said in my first post we went around the wheel once at each spot and twice where it was extra dirty.

Obviously I didn't scrub the wheel down with it. We are not the clown idiots you make use seem to be.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,727 Posts
okay.Well we knew what it do man. Which is why we used it to erase ONLY the top layer of grime and grease that is coating the leather underneath.
Like I said in my first post we went around the wheel once at each spot and twice where it was extra dirty.
Obviously I didn't scrub the wheel down with it. We are not the clown idiots you make use seem to be.
Well you didn't mention how it's bad for leather. Here is a post from that same '09 thread you got your info from.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12931342&postcount=62

no articles ever say it's safe for leather. this is from a Detailer's forum:
"The glossy appearance of leather after wear is caused by the build up of dirt together with abrassion and can also be the build up of wrong product use which adds to the problem.

Magic Erasers are made from melamine resin that has been ground up and reformed and acts as a very fine sandpaper. They work by removing the top layer of the finish on the leather which will remove the shine but as you can see on the picture it is also removing colour (that is not dirt) which means that once you have cleaned you have removed some if not all of the finish.
This is fine during a restoration process as you will be refinishing over the top but not ok as a cleaning process.
Leaving the leather unfinished will leave the leather itself open to dirt and body oils which will start to deteriorate the leather itself (this is then unfixable - finish can be fixed and repaired but the leather itself can't).
The damage that is done is not always visible to the naked eye but can be seen very clearly with a microscope.
The tests we have done with these sponges have always removed finish and/or pigment.
The magic eraser is not taking the leather back to its new state but is degrading it.

The first time you use a magic eraser may not do too much damage but you have started a process that if continued will only get worse and worse.

As consultants we recommend that these are not used to clean leather (even if they say they can be) as the manufacturers do not have to deal with the problems they cause."

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay,
Great now Jake is going think I owe him a $500 steering wheel. :facepalm:

Are u happy?

And to add salt to the wound you gave my thread 1 star!

I try to do something nice for a friend and this is what I get.

:tsk:

Well you didn't mention how it's bad for leather. Here is a post from that same '09 thread you got your info from.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?p=12931342&postcount=62

no articles ever say it's safe for leather. this is from a Detailer's forum:
"The glossy appearance of leather after wear is caused by the build up of dirt together with abrassion and can also be the build up of wrong product use which adds to the problem.

Magic Erasers are made from melamine resin that has been ground up and reformed and acts as a very fine sandpaper. They work by removing the top layer of the finish on the leather which will remove the shine but as you can see on the picture it is also removing colour (that is not dirt) which means that once you have cleaned you have removed some if not all of the finish.
This is fine during a restoration process as you will be refinishing over the top but not ok as a cleaning process.
Leaving the leather unfinished will leave the leather itself open to dirt and body oils which will start to deteriorate the leather itself (this is then unfixable - finish can be fixed and repaired but the leather itself can't).
The damage that is done is not always visible to the naked eye but can be seen very clearly with a microscope.
The tests we have done with these sponges have always removed finish and/or pigment.
The magic eraser is not taking the leather back to its new state but is degrading it.

The first time you use a magic eraser may not do too much damage but you have started a process that if continued will only get worse and worse.

As consultants we recommend that these are not used to clean leather (even if they say they can be) as the manufacturers do not have to deal with the problems they cause."

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,727 Posts
Okay,
Great now Jake is going think I owe him a $500 steering wheel. :facepalm:

Are u happy?

And to add salt to the wound you gave my thread 1 star!

I try to do something nice for a friend and this is what I get.
:tsk:
:rofl:

oops. :eeps: nah Jake is solid that's why they call him Soldjake :thumbsup:

and i have not given this thread a rating. to prove it just ask me to give it a rating(not a 5) and it'll show. i believe one can only rate once.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Going on par with Alex, I would not recommend doing this.

Magic Erasers are an abrasive and shown here, essentially sand away built up surface contaminants. They will remove the shine but they also remove the leather's top coat (regardless if you are 'careful'). If you plan on re-dyeing/resealing your leather pieces, then using a magic eraser might be ok. But as Alex posted: "leaving the leather unfinished (as you did here) will leave the leather open to dirt and body oils which will start to deteriorate the leather itself"

If you want to clean leather correctly, a leatherique restoration is recommended by me. As many know, I've had a great experience with their products. I would never use a ME on my car, or any of the cars I detail.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
holy cow....where have you been?

Going on par with Alex, I would not recommend doing this.

Magic Erasers are an abrasive and shown here, essentially sand away built up surface contaminants. They will remove the shine but they also remove the leather's top coat (regardless if you are 'careful'). If you plan on re-dyeing/resealing your leather pieces, then using a magic eraser might be ok. But as Alex posted: "leaving the leather unfinished (as you did here) will leave the leather open to dirt and body oils which will start to deteriorate the leather itself"

If you want to clean leather correctly, a leatherique restoration is recommended by me. As many know, I've had a great experience with their products. I would never use a ME on my car, or any of the cars I detail.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts