E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone pay attention to fuel consumption after lowering their XI? I installed Eibach Springs/Bilstein HDs and was told by the indy that drive shaft now points up instead of even. Would that stress decrease mileage?

I have lost about 2MPG and trying to chase this issue down. Perhaps a new air filter would help. Its got a fresh oil change, redline tranny fluid, plugs and coil packs...

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
The angle of your drive shaft does not change with lowering. The axle half shafts would but that shouldn't cause an issue with your gas mileage. Have you changed anything else when you lowered it? Wheels, tires, etc?

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
Anyone pay attention to fuel consumption after lowering their XI? I installed Eibach Springs/Bilstein HDs and was told by the indy that drive shaft now points up instead of even. Would that stress decrease mileage?

I have lost about 2MPG and trying to chase this issue down. Perhaps a new air filter would help. Its got a fresh oil change, redline tranny fluid, plugs and coil packs...
That's funny- my mpg jumped up 2mpg yesterday for no apparent reason. I do the same trip every weekend. Same roads. Same gas station. Same pump. Same cruising speed. The OBC said 28.2mpg from the gas station to my house (which is always .75 to 1.5 mpg higher than actual miles divided by gallons pumped). I put it down to either a switch to non-winter blend gas or just the obc being off for some reason.

I would start by checking tire pressures, scanning codes, and dumping in a bottle of techron with your next tank.

More likely, actually, is that the drop brought out your inner Sebastian Vettel and you've been gunning it all over town.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Granted its been a while since I paid attention to MPG on my OBD. Hwy MPG is showing 28-29MPG currently. It used to be 30-31MPG. Perhaps 28MPG is the new norm at 120K miles on the clock. My GL320 get the same mileage and it weighs twice as much....

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Granted its been a while since I paid attention to MPG on my OBD. Hwy MPG is showing 28-29MPG currently. It used to be 30-31MPG. Perhaps 28MPG is the new norm at 120K miles on the clock. My GL320 get the same mileage and it weighs twice as much....
Your GL320 gets 28mpg???? Wait, that's the diesel right? Either way, that's pretty awesome for something that big...guess I'm in the market for one now haha.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your GL320 gets 28mpg???? Wait, that's the diesel right? Either way, that's pretty awesome for something that big...guess I'm in the market for one now haha.
Its the diesel. More torque than the V8 gasoline engine. There is a turbo lag compared to the V8 but I see that as a positive because its easier on the tranny. The same engine was put into Jeep Cherokees in 07-08 which can be had much cheaper than a GL320. I will not own a gasoline powered SUV ever again.

·
Registered
6,131 Posts
Its the diesel. More torque than the V8 gasoline engine. There is a turbo lag compared to the V8 but I see that as a positive because its easier on the tranny. The same engine was put into Jeep Cherokees in 07-08 which can be had much cheaper than a GL320. I will not own a gasoline powered SUV ever again.
They are still not cheap. I just found a 2008 JGC CRD with 46k on the clock for $30k.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^ 07s are in the low $20s with about 60K miles. It is the first year of production so one cannot expect them to be problem free. Do a nationwide search on autotrader for 07s and 08s.

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
^ I can't stand how people drive those Cherokees with the big engine- they think it's a sports car. I saw two flipped over this winter and another rear end a Miata.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How do you like the ride on that setup? I need to change out my suspension this spring.

FYI i get about 20.5 mpg combined. My 4runner gets 19!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
^ I can't stand how people drive those Cherokees with the big engine- they think it's a sports car. I saw two flipped over this winter and another rear end a Miata.
The diesel is a 3.0 V6. No bigger than a 330 engine and smaller than a 335. People have the wrong tires in the winter. Just because they drive a AWD car, they think they are indestructible until the car is no longer shiny side up.

How do you like the ride on that setup? I need to change out my suspension this spring.

FYI i get about 20.5 mpg combined. My 4runner gets 19!
Ed, I don't mind the Eibach/Bilstein HD setup. It is harsher than stock but probably would not like the 17 inch wheel ride. I go into the city with the Bimmer and the city roads remind me that the new setup is not as forgiving. I am running full hard on my PSS9s and full stiff GT3 sway settings on the Pcar for comparison. My wife is spending less and less time in my cars and we are driving the GL when she is with me now...

I still get between 22-23 MPG mixed but the 30MPG seems to have left me. Maybe a new air filter would help. It has been a few years but less than 10K miles on the filter..

·
Registered
158 Posts
I lost about two when the winter hit. I heard that is was because of an additive that the manufacturer puts in it to avoid an increase in it's viscosity during cold temperatures.

I didn't notice a changed when I lowered mine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts