E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking of adding some kind of mp3 playback solution for my car, but I haven't been able to find any easy solution.<br><br>A while ago I was looking at the PhatNoise product, but I recall reading something about it not being compatible with Nav systems. Now the PhatNoise is sold by Kenwood and it appears that it only works with Kenwood decks. It's also quite expensive at $900 for a system with a 10GB cartrige.<br><br>I also looked at that cassette mp3 adapter that uses MMC card (someone mentioned it here few days ago). Unfortunately, the storage capabilties are rather limited, and the largest MMC cards are only 128MB. I haven't tried it, but I think the navigating the songs would be difficult (since the adapter doesn't have any kind of a display).<br><br>My latest idea is to somehow use the new Creative Labs Nomad Jukebox 3. If you haven't seen it, it's slightly smaller than a portable CD player and comes with 20GB of storage. It retails for $399, but you can probably get it for less if you look around. This part is good, but the problem is how do I integrate it with my system? The player has line outputs, but from what I understand the HK system does not have any line inputs? Right? Is there any kind of solution for adding line inputs (without actually replacing the tuner/amp)? Some kind of inexpensive harness that adds line inputs?<br>The other option that I'm thinking is to use a cassette adapter that Creative sells for $20. Since I have the new nav system, it should work with my system, I'd just have to figure out how to keep the nav screen closed with the adapter installed. Creative should be also making a car power adapter that plugs into the cigarette lighter, so that would solve the power problem (there is also a remote control coming). However, I'm somewhat worried about the sound quality when using the cassette adapter? Does anybody know how those things work? Is the sound quality comparable to the quality that I would get from the line outputs?<br><br>Sorry about the long post, but do you guys have any comments about my idea? Does anyone have something similar in their car? It looks like for about $400 to $450 (player with adapters) you can have a mp3 solution with 20GB of music. Plus you could always take it out, and use it for other stuff.

·
Registered
109 Posts
This won't really help you at all, but I have the PhatBox. I was fortunate enough to get one of the last BMW units. It's great! Compared to the kenwood offering, getting it from phatnoise was a great deal. I basically paid the same price and got 20 gigs. There is a small effort to get the kenwood keg working with BMW headunits. I also have and apple iPod that I'm pretty sure I can get to work with my PC. It's only got 10 gigs, but it is the size of a deck of cards, and Apple's design can't be beat. I plan to have the iPod working within the next week or two. I'll probably post something on the OT board when that happens.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
One solution would be to get cd changer adpater from Periphial Electronics (BMWPILA). It has an AUX input for things like MP3 players.

I have the adpater hooked up with my old my Pioneer CD changer. I haven't tried the Aux input yet.

·
Almost stock
707 Posts
Don't acutally have this setup, but have heard good things. You can buy a portable MP3 player, such as a Ipod or Rio and hook it up to one of these. From there, you'd just have to turn to a certain radio station to listen to your mp3s!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I looked at the BMWPILA adapter, but I already have a CD changer that I would like to keep. Also, their website states that the adapter doesn't work with navigation systems. It doesn't say why, so I'm not sure if it would affect the AUX input.<br><br>The irock! solution looks interesting, but I'm not sure how well it works. Few years ago in my old car I used to have a CD changer that used an FM adapter (which I'm assuming this is) and it sounded really bad. In fact it was so bad that I returned the changer few days after I got it, and replaced it with a new deck/changer combo.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
iPod

.. well I've been using a 5 gig iPod for a bit with good sucess (honestly i havent had time to fill the thing up, seems to take a ton of music, no idea what you do with 10 or 20 gigs...).

I havent had to do any invasive install, just a good holder where you can access the controls easily and hook onto a car clip (i bought the Sportsuit from Marware.com), and shortened the cord on the cassette adapter so there is only about 2" of cord between the iPod and the cassette slot in the dash. The iPod is installed on the trim close to the steering wheel so that I can control it with my fingertips from the wheel (which is easy with the simple buttons and selection ring). The sound quality can vary depending ont he volume of the recording. Good quality songs sound fine - you just have to be sure the car volume isnt too high compared to the iPod volume as you might hear some hiss then. I think for the $$ its a great solution you can take with you.

Oh, I think most of the Windows software is close to final - you can get betas here:

http://ipodding.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=index&catid=11

·
hammer talks like this
3,967 Posts
I've been looking into this aswell...what I going to do is buy the alpine mp3 changer and a blitzsafe adapter that allows use of alpine changer with a M-bus port...the Mp3 alpine changer needs an adapter to go from Ai-net to m-bus, but thats the easiest way to get mp3.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had this same problem last year...I ended up getting a Peripherial BMWPILA adapter....It works very well and has much better sound quality than any tape deck converter...

I ended up hooking it to my computer....for a while I had it hooked up to my ipod in the center console and it worked very well!

·
Registered
26 Posts
bender...

When are you gonna do the alpine mp3 install? I'm planning on doing that as well...Will the blitzsafe adapter work for sure?

·
hammer talks like this
3,967 Posts
i tried the BMWPILA on the kenwood music box, the draw back was theres no display or controls...so i couldnt change the track...GT3 said his phatnoise is voice navigated, but i never sent him a PM to figure out how that works... That was my first dive into mp3...I got a solid idea currently on how it would be the easiest way to get mp3...Im just waiting on an email from Street Effects...I wanna see if they have a blitzsafe oem HU to alpine M-bus changer...I should just go buy one locally(my shop doesn't carry them) but i wanna see what the guys can do for me if any...

·
Registered
1 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I looked into the Peripheral Electronics BMWPILA configuration through the CD changer wiring. I want to connect my laptop in my E46 325i 2001. But the problem is I hear that the audio system in my car is by Alpine.

Would this BMWPILA work? any suggestions.

Also I have a stock system in my car, and I just bough a JL audio W0 12" 125 Watt sub with a ported box from a friend. How should I connect this in my car ( I will be purchasing a mono amp for it also). I dont want to cut any wires. Is there a way I can take in the audio signal which comes out of the Stock Stereo Unit and send that signal into the subs amp.

·
hammer talks like this
3,967 Posts
ArsalanSheikh said:
I looked into the Peripheral Electronics BMWPILA configuration through the CD changer wiring. I want to connect my laptop in my E46 325i 2001. But the problem is I hear that the audio system in my car is by Alpine.

Would this BMWPILA work? any suggestions.

Also I have a stock system in my car, and I just bough a JL audio W0 12" 125 Watt sub with a ported box from a friend. How should I connect this in my car ( I will be purchasing a mono amp for it also). I dont want to cut any wires. Is there a way I can take in the audio signal which comes out of the Stock Stereo Unit and send that signal into the subs amp.
If your laptop has rcs outputs or if you buy that convertor jack that gives your laptop rca outputs. I wouldn't recommend a ported box, maybe if it is a custom box. You can use T-taps and tap into the speaker wire coming off the stock amp to get a rca signal into your after market amp.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yup! Thats what I am gonna do for my laptop. But wouldnt tapping out analog audio signals from my back speakers and sending it into an amp cause signal loss and increase in noise. The box that I have is custom.
Thanks man

·
hammer talks like this
3,967 Posts
ArsalanSheikh said:
Yup! Thats what I am gonna do for my laptop. But wouldnt tapping out analog audio signals from my back speakers and sending it into an amp cause signal loss and increase in noise. The box that I have is custom.
Thanks man
sure will. it wont be as powerfull or clean as a direct rca jack off the radio, but what else can you do....

·
Registered
0 Posts
SoundGate makes a BMW adapter for the new models now- I saw it here http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/bavmotworbmw.html but I didn't find it on the SoundGate website. This looks like it would work with CHA-S634 w/MP3 abilities. There is a Kenwood and Sony model available as well. Kenwood may be compatible with the Keg? I think I will try this adapter and the Alpine Mp3 Changer. I have a 99 328i with in-dash CD, so I am going to email and check it out. I will post again with my findings if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a 10G iPod that I put in my S4's CupHolder.
Worx pretty well!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.