E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All:

I recently changed work locations and I now work in Tyson's Corner/Vienna. The drive has been horrible about 1 - 1.5 hours to work and 1 - 2 hours back home to Laurel.

I am strongly considering selling my townhouse here in Laurel and finding a place to rent for no longer than a year in VA. I later plan to but another place in VA once I get a feel for the various areas and traffic patterns.

Do you you have any recommendations of places to live whether it be and area or a particular apartment complex near the Tyson's area. I am also considering the Clarendon area as well.

One thing is for sure, my gas mileage has gone down by about 100 miles per tanks since traveling a similar distance as I did in the past. Additionally I drive a stick so the stop and go it going to eat my clutch, brakes and motor mounts, not to mention take its toll on my engine.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated.

- Daimon
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
Vienna is a very nice area, if you can afford it.
Get ready to pay car taxes and plaster two stickers in the middle of your windshiled if you move to VA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I actually like vienna. Reminds me of some parts of Mo County.


I have been to Anandale many times to eat, but I know nothing of that area or where to start.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
What is your budget? You're going to be moving into one of the richest and most inflated counties in the nation. Caveat emptor. :mischief:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm budget.. Dont want to spend more than say 1400. And for that it better be somewhat badass.

I lived in Mo County for many many years and it was at one time just as inflated as Fairfax. =)
 

·
-not a mod-
Joined
·
21,012 Posts
You'll be hard pressed to find something badass for $1400 in the Tysons Area.

try looking at www.realtor.com and put your price range in and see what comes up for rentals
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
North Arlington is the place to be. Clarendon, Ballston, Courthouse, Rosslyn in that order. Rosslyn is pretty sterile but is right across the river from Georgetown. Clarendon has the best night life and lots of restaurants and stores. Ballston is more residential than Clarendon but still has lots to do. Courthouse is nice but not as many restaurants/bars. All areas have lots of young people who are always out and about.

Personally, Clarendon would be my first choice for places to live. Ballston would be #2 (and is where I live now), followed by Courthouse and Rosslyn. Ballston would be the easiest commute for you since it's the closest to Tysons. Or if you want to go a little further out why not just rent in Tysons? 3 minute commute ftw.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Just make sure you're driving west or south since commuters are going north and east towards DC.

I have a 30 or so minute commute to Oakton from Alexandria City in the mornings, and about 45 minutes in the afternoons, both ways via local roads and against traffic flow. It's not bad, and much better than any commute from MD.

So, anywhere in between should be too, that includes expensive Falls Church, moderate Annandale, Arlington, prohibitive McLean. Forget Reston, Herndon, Leesburg, the traffic is all going east so u'd be where you left off.
 

·
LETS GO RED SOX
Joined
·
1,395 Posts
Rogue said:
Yea I actually like vienna. Reminds me of some parts of Mo County.


I have been to Anandale many times to eat, but I know nothing of that area or where to start.
there is alot of houses off of Gallows Rd and Annandale rd.. right off of 495.. Check there
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27,233 Posts
Phat Ham said:
North Arlington is the place to be. Clarendon, Ballston, Courthouse, Rosslyn in that order. Rosslyn is pretty sterile but is right across the river from Georgetown. Clarendon has the best night life and lots of restaurants and stores. Ballston is more residential than Clarendon but still has lots to do. Courthouse is nice but not as many restaurants/bars. All areas have lots of young people who are always out and about.

Personally, Clarendon would be my first choice for places to live. Ballston would be #2 (and is where I live now), followed by Courthouse and Rosslyn. Ballston would be the easiest commute for you since it's the closest to Tysons. Or if you want to go a little further out why not just rent in Tysons? 3 minute commute ftw.
+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,625 Posts
p1nk50ck said:
you'll be glad to know that virginia has much more lenient gun laws than MD.
They also have incredibly ridiculously restrictive traffic laws/enforcement and car property taxes (one of the reasons why I moved from Fairfax county to Montgomery county).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
796 Posts
ca1242 said:
They also have incredibly ridiculously restrictive traffic laws/enforcement and car property taxes (one of the reasons why I moved from Fairfax county to Montgomery county).
doesn't MD have ridiculous property and income tax as well?
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top