E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my wife and I are moving to the Frederick, MD area and I'm just curious what the BMW scene around there is? Are there local meets/ cars & coffee?

How about local shops/tuners? Just trying to get a feel for the area. I'm going to be moving from Charleston, SC.

Thanks guys/ girls!

·
'a certain moderator'
34,406 Posts
Welcome to the area :) Join the BMW CCA and there are lots of events like dinners and AutoX to attend. Otherwise, good cars and coffee across the river in Great Falls, VA every saturday morning. And sometimes ppl from this board meet. Sometimes.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
There is a BMWCCA chapter but there's also a DC Metro enthusiast group. We have all kinds of bimmers in the group and we get together pretty often. We went on a cruise to Philly this past Saturday with a bunch of euro cars, to a drive in movie cruise on Sunday and have a Kings Dominion cruise lined up for this weekend. We actually do a lot of stuff together pretty often.

Edit: just saw you're moving to Frederick. A bit far but if you don't mind driving a bit down south we are always getting into something on a pretty regular basis.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My wife and I live in Jefferson, which is about 5 miles from Frederick city. When/whereabout are you and the wife moving?
We will be staying in New Market for a little while until we can settle on the exact location in or around Frederick.

I'm glad to here there are BMWCCA events out there. I'm really looking forward to meeting locals, doing cruises, shows and events in general.

Thanks YA'LL!

·
CEO OF THE ROC
409 Posts
If you're looking for a good time to mingle with city folk, be sure to check out DC and the surrounding areas less rural then Frederick. ie. Bethesda, Tysons Corner, Arlington, SE DC :eeps:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you're looking for a good time to mingle with city folk, be sure to check out DC and the surrounding areas less rural then Frederick. ie. Bethesda, Tysons Corner, Arlington, SE DC :eeps:
My father in law lives in Bethesda so I will probably be there on the weekends! I'm really looking forward to this move, although it will be so different than SC; MD will have fun roads with twists and turns for some sprint driving, plus it seems to have a bigger BMW fanbase which is weird because EVERYONE in SC has a BMW just no one mods them.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Since you're new to the area, watch out for speed cameras in Montgomery County and the District. The cameras aren't "out to get you", but to make sure that people are not speeding near schools. The locations in Montgomery County are all posted here. Wherever there is a speed camera, the posted speed limit signs will say "photo enforced" and they are triggered by going 10 mph over the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Since you're new to the area, watch out for speed cameras in Montgomery County and the District. The cameras aren't "out to get you", but to make sure that people are not speeding near schools. The locations in Montgomery County are all posted here. Wherever there is a speed camera, the posted speed limit signs will say "photo enforced" and they are triggered by going 10 mph over the posted speed limit.
Thanks! I'm pretty sure the Valentine 1 won't do any good with those cameras....

Is anyone familiar with inspections? We don't have them in SC and I am currently running catless headers...am I screwed?

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Can anyone explain to me what state vehicle inspection evaluate?

The only concern I have right now is my SES light is on because #1 I need to replace my thermostat and #2 I think I jacked up my 02 sensors during header install. My no1 and no2 o2 sensors are throwing codes even though I have a sim wired in (which should take care of post cat right no 3 and no 4).

Would I fail inspection?

·
'a certain moderator'
34,406 Posts
Its a very rigorous inspection. You would likely fail for that. Good news is, you only have do do it once, the first time you register the vehicle here. Emissions is every 2 years.

I failed for not having a damn orange reflector on the bumper. I know a good shop in the Montgomery Village area though, who will disregard silly things like painted reflectors, if you need him.

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
You'll want to come out to Great Falls for the Cars & Coffee events which take place every Saturday morning at Katie's Coffehouse from 7-10am

·
Registered
208 Posts
You'll want to come out to Great Falls for the Cars & Coffee events which take place every Saturday morning at Katie's Coffehouse from 7-10am
Definetly!!! i was there this past Saturday and there were easily 300+ cars there... i got there at 7:15a.m. and had to park accross the street!!!

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
Definetly!!! i was there this past Saturday and there were easily 300+ cars there... i got there at 7:15a.m. and had to park accross the street!!!
:wow: that's a crazy turnout. I'll try and make it back out after Achilles has his heel (subframe) fixed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
:wow: that's a crazy turnout. I'll try and make it back out after Achilles has his heel (subframe) fixed.
right on man... im headed there this weekend with my Wife and baby!! i will be in my 4runner but i love going!

Sorry for the OT OP, but try and make it out one weekend and let us know when ur coming!!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.