BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
[]D[][]V[][]D[][]\[]
2,782 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am being told that the dealer has an option for the headlights on 2003+ to turn left and right depending on which direction u steer... can anyone confirm this ? or is this just plain BS ? :dunno:

·
OO[][]OO
525 Posts
Don't belive that is for real, but hwo know! - btw the only car with lights following the steering directions was from Citroen back in the '70s !

3C
=================
330CiC280A6Q2.8TC2.8

Attachments

·
Got Mis-shift?
748 Posts
This only works on cars equipped with Navigation System. If the GPS detects that there is a turn coming up, it moves the lights to the direction of the turn. I remember seeing this on the BMW CD. I think 7 series has that option.:dunno:

·
Registered
192 Posts
it's true on 2004 models (with the facelift on coupe on caonvertible)

nothing to do with GPS though... it uses the wheel direction to turn the lights... (it's an add'on option)

·
HartgE46
786 Posts
Here's an excerpt from BMWnation.com...

2004 3 Series Coupe and Convertible incorporate updated styling with innovative technology
The 2004 3 Series Coupe and Convertible will not only bring fresh new looks but also a number of innovations that will enhance both the driving dynamics and active safety. The 3 Series Coupe and Convertible look even more striking and have even greater presence with wider kidney grille, modified powerdome on the hood, closed and more compact front apron and the new headlight units with the directional indicators which reach up higher at the sides.

The headlights not only have a new look but feature optional adaptive controls. This revolutionary feature, offered in combination with Bi-Xenon headlights, allows the headlights to actually follow the road. By applying networked data such as steering angle and direction, road speed, and yaw rates, the headlights will turn in order to follow the road.

In addition to LED taillights US versions of the 2004 3 Series Coupe and Convertible will feature BMW's dynamic adaptive brake light technology. During hard braking, such as in an emergency, the rear taillights join the brake lights at the same intensity, giving a bolder warning to following drivers.

The 330Ci Coupe and Convertible are renown for their driving dynamics. Those dynamics will be further enhanced for 2004 with the addition of a standard six-speed manual transmission. This fall both the 325Ci and 330Ci Coupes and Convertibles will be available with an optional six-speed Sequential Manual Gearbox. The 2004 3 Series Coupe and Convertible begin production in March and arrive at BMW centers in April.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I dont know about you guys, but i think that turning headlights might kind of throw me off while im driving since im used to the beams pointing straight foward on the ground.. any opinions??

·
HartgE46
786 Posts
BGReddy00 said:
yea it wont be until 2004...and only with bi xenons because the motor the have...
AMB said:
The 2004 3 Series Coupe and Convertible begin production in March and arrive at BMW centers in April.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I believe Mercedes is coming out with this soon

·
Owner
4,044 Posts
They are available on the Porsche Cayenne as well. I think it will really help when driving through the mountains at night.

·
I holla
1,665 Posts
that sounds ridiculously uncessary, but at the same time sorta cool. :confused:

·
T!TSLVR
1,251 Posts
Do my 2003 bi-xenon's auto-level (up and down) while i'm driving???? or is that just my imagination?? Cuz I know they adjust as i turn them on, but as I go up and down hills, it SEEMS like they continue to interactively adjust up and down as I'm driving :dunno: :dunno:

Since my xenons hit evenly from left to right (very bright peripherally), I don't believe pointing left and right would make much difference ??! :eeps:

·
Banned
1,693 Posts
Yes, they auto level in real time. You really notice this when you are going up a hill and then point down as to not blind the driver in front of you.

AdamR

Impulss said:
Do my 2003 bi-xenon's auto-level (up and down) while i'm driving???? or is that just my imagination?? Cuz I know they adjust as i turn them on, but as I go up and down hills, it SEEMS like they continue to interactively adjust up and down as I'm driving :dunno: :dunno:

Since my xenons hit evenly from left to right (very bright peripherally), I don't believe pointing left and right would make much difference ??! :eeps:

·
T!TSLVR
1,251 Posts
Yeah, one time (when there were no cars around), i stopped in the middle of going down a hill to see if i could catch it doing it :thumbup: Cool.. so i am not imagining it!

For some reason I remember reading in the manual that it only adjusts when you first turn the lights on.

This car never ceases to amaze me :D :D :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
I know this topic is about moving headlights and I think that's a great option, but did anyone notice when it said the 2004 325Ci and 330Ci are going to come optional with SMG transmission?!?! I just recieved a 2003 325Ci and BMW HAS to wait another year!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
E46Fanatic
3,120 Posts
i think the side to side adjusting headlights sounds like a great idea. there's been plenty of times where i'm coming around a turn hard and would like more light to the side. sounds good :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts