BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i shift, feels like my linkage is moving a lil and i here a thud sound from rear if i do it slow, is that a mount or my rear struts??

·
Registered
26,263 Posts
when i shift, feels like my linkage is moving a lil and i here a thud sound from rear if i do it slow, is that a mount or my rear struts??
Thud or clunking when shifting into first or reverse is often the sign of either bad rear diff bushing or the center support bearing on driveshaft. I fixed mine by replacing both...and guibo (which I don't think causes the clunk, but we were right there, so the getting was good).

If you're free Oct 16th, come to 'my' meet at IMG in Union and we'll get the car up and look for free...not me...a real mechanic will do the looking!

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
Most likely your rear diff bushing...

Takes forever to install a new one since you have to drop the diff.

Been living with the noise for a few years now because of that exact reason...PITA to replace.

·
Registered
26,263 Posts
Most likely your rear diff bushing...

Takes forever to install a new one since you have to drop the diff.

Been living with the noise for a few years now because of that exact reason...PITA to replace.
You sure about that? I thought you can get it out without dropping diff. Also, it could be your csb, in which case you might as well do the Universal Joint, aka guibo, at the same time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts