BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As everybody should know by now, the BMW Bluetooth module is not compatible with vehicles that have Assist produced before 09/04. Because my 2004 M3 included the Assist I decided to do some search on the integrated phone options that BMW offers to 3 Series owners.

I found this interesting post by jeffnin that refers to integrating a V60i into the current E60 and decided to investigate into the possibility of integrating my current, 2 year old, Verizon V60i into my M3. I did not want to wait for the proposed Bluetooth/Assist module, and the $650.00 minimum price tag (new phone and module) for this was kind of absurd especially when I have to buy a Motorola V710 that have its Bluetooth crippled, with no address book integration.

Long story short: any V60i works in the 3 Series equipped with Assist.

By buying the cradle and the E46 frame, installing it myself, replacing the cupholders and getting the Assist TCU programmed in the dealer I am able to make and receive handsfree calls using the steering wheels controls, download the address book, caller ID thru the radio display, speak thru OEM microphone and use the speakers to listen. Of course, the radio mutes when it receives a phone call and get its batteries recharged while it is in the cradle.

Clarity and reception is top notch, both to the caller and to the listener.

No voice recognition is present with Assist, thus no voice dialing. However, the technician will be investigating this and the capability of making calls that are not in the address book. This was his first programming and he did not know all the features available for programming; once he finds out he will contact me for further programming. So far I am making calls outside my address book by using the phone keypad while it is in the cradle.

Installation and part numbers are here.... Use bmwna as your username, digital as your password to enter www.bmwwireless.com. Total price for me was $270.00, parts and programming (no installation time). Actual programming takes 30 minutes, I spent another 15 minutes with the technician receiving and sending phone calls and him explaining me how the system works overall... very nice.

Note: the bumper antenna may be required in convertibles, not at all in sedans or coupes. Sedans and coupes uses the sharfin antenna of the Assist. Ask your dealer for specific details...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Very slick! I wonder if there is any way do do a similar install for an older car? My 2000 328Ci is kind of in no-mans land with respect to connecting cell phones.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cwarner said:
Very slick! I wonder if there is any way do do a similar install for an older car? My 2000 328Ci is kind of in no-mans land with respect to connecting cell phones.
sirjustin1 said:
So I guess this isn't possible if I don't have BMW Assist?
Check with your tech... according to a couple of guys in my dealership, including the tech, BMW is moving away from the proprietary phone business. So if there is a way that a CPT9000 can be installed in your non Assist BMW, then this mod can be done also.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Technic said:
Check with your tech... according to a couple of guys in my dealership, including the tech, BMW is moving away from the proprietary phone business. So if there is a way that a CPT9000 can be installed in your non Assist BMW, then this mod can be done also.

The install instructions for the CPT9000 say that it will work with all e46's (sedan/coupe/conv). It also went on to say that it would have extra functions with cars with Nav and the BMW assist. I will talk to my dealer and see about trying this. One note is that i have seen this done without the eject box. On one site I found someone must have hard wired a coiled cable that plugs into the phone to the connectors in the arm rest. That way one does not lose the cup holders. They drilled a small hole to get the wire through. I will probably buy the kit to try it as I have a V60i from Verizon. I will post if it works on my 328Ci.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I have a Motorola V400, but it has the same connections and is based on the V60i. Let me know if you have any luck with the install you are trying, I'm really interested in this. What was the approx cost of the parts?

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cwarner said:
The install instructions for the CPT9000 say that it will work with all e46's (sedan/coupe/conv). It also went on to say that it would have extra functions with cars with Nav and the BMW assist. I will talk to my dealer and see about trying this. One note is that i have seen this done without the eject box. On one site I found someone must have hard wired a coiled cable that plugs into the phone to the connectors in the arm rest. That way one does not lose the cup holders. They drilled a small hole to get the wire through. I will probably buy the kit to try it as I have a V60i from Verizon. I will post if it works on my 328Ci.
Something like this?

·
Registered
182 Posts
Technic said:
Something like this?
Sorry, did not find the link again until later. The one I was referring to was:

http://www.tmk.com/bmw/index.shtml

There is virtually no info on the install and little about the capabilities, just a few photos and you have to scroll forever to get to it.

I spoke to my dealer today and they were pretty firm about it not working on a 2000 328. They said the TCU (Telephone Control Unit) on the 2000's were designed for the CPT8000(startac), and would not work with the CPT9000 (V60). When I pressed him further, he said it might work to some degree, but the steering wheel buttons for answering and placing calls would not work. I am still kind of debating about just getting the hardware and wiring it up to try it. On the other hand, EISKits says they can get bluetooth to work on any e46, so I may just blow $635 to get bluetooth, if and when Verizon has a phone that will work. At this point it is probably cheaper to just turn the darn phone off and answer voice mail later. Phone calls just slow me down anyway... :lmao:

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a motorola v600 and i just installed bluetooth in my 2004 330 ci. could anyone help me on how i can get a cradle and eject module so that i can charge my handset and use the shark fin antenna for reception.

thanks.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rvellody said:
i have a motorola v600 and i just installed bluetooth in my 2004 330 ci. could anyone help me on how i can get a cradle and eject module so that i can charge my handset and use the shark fin antenna for reception.

thanks.
Here you go... :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rvellody said:
how do i get the eject kit? i got the snap in adapter from the bmwbluetooth.com, but without the eject kit, it is of no use.
Check that site again:

1) 84-21-6-933-415 EJECT BOX 1 $ 57.40
2) 84 21 0 307 726 V600 SNAP IN ADAPTER

You still need to get the E46 CONSOLE FRAME, which attaches the eject box and snap in adapter into one assembly that fits where your cupholders are. Check this post discussing the E46 CONSOLE FRAME :thumbup:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Technic said:
Check that site again:

1) 84-21-6-933-415 EJECT BOX 1 $ 57.40
2) 84 21 0 307 726 V600 SNAP IN ADAPTER

You still need to get the E46 CONSOLE FRAME, which attaches the eject box and snap in adapter into one assembly that fits where your cupholders are. Check this post discussing the E46 CONSOLE FRAME :thumbup:
i don't see anything on that website on sale for $57.00. Please help me. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rvellody said:
i don't see anything on that website on sale for $57.00. Please help me. Thanks.
... you have to take these part numbers to your BMW dealer to get them. That website was a forum just discussing the part numbers. :hmm:

·
Registered
0 Posts
2004 330Ci without assist

I have a 2004 330Ci without assist. I bought the eject box, bumper antennae, and the CPT 9000 phone. I tried installing it all with a TCU from a 2004 330Ci convert that was equipped with assist. I even tried to have the TCU coded but nothing worked.
I heard that a TCU can not be swapped from one car to another????
What do I need to make this work??

·
Registered
148 Posts
Technic, you r the man for figuring this out, but, question for you. I think most people feel Assist is a useless tool. I simply swappwed out my Assist module for a BT module in my 2004 330 CiC for around $ 275 I think it was. I have voice activation and can use many models of BT phone. Why not spend the money just swapping out the module ? Thanks. Neil-

Technic said:
As everybody should know by now, the BMW Bluetooth module is not compatible with vehicles that have Assist produced before 09/04. Because my 2004 M3 included the Assist I decided to do some search on the integrated phone options that BMW offers to 3 Series owners.

I found this interesting post by jeffnin that refers to integrating a V60i into the current E60 and decided to investigate into the possibility of integrating my current, 2 year old, Verizon V60i into my M3. I did not want to wait for the proposed Bluetooth/Assist module, and the $650.00 minimum price tag (new phone and module) for this was kind of absurd especially when I have to buy a Motorola V710 that have its Bluetooth crippled, with no address book integration.

Long story short: any V60i works in the 3 Series equipped with Assist.

By buying the cradle and the E46 frame, installing it myself, replacing the cupholders and getting the Assist TCU programmed in the dealer I am able to make and receive handsfree calls using the steering wheels controls, download the address book, caller ID thru the radio display, speak thru OEM microphone and use the speakers to listen. Of course, the radio mutes when it receives a phone call and get its batteries recharged while it is in the cradle.

Clarity and reception is top notch, both to the caller and to the listener.

No voice recognition is present with Assist, thus no voice dialing. However, the technician will be investigating this and the capability of making calls that are not in the address book. This was his first programming and he did not know all the features available for programming; once he finds out he will contact me for further programming. So far I am making calls outside my address book by using the phone keypad while it is in the cradle.

Installation and part numbers are here.... Use bmwna as your username, digital as your password to enter www.bmwwireless.com. Total price for me was $270.00, parts and programming (no installation time). Actual programming takes 30 minutes, I spent another 15 minutes with the technician receiving and sending phone calls and him explaining me how the system works overall... very nice.

Note: the bumper antenna may be required in convertibles, not at all in sedans or coupes. Sedans and coupes uses the sharfin antenna of the Assist. Ask your dealer for specific details...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sk330 said:
I have a 2004 330Ci without assist. I bought the eject box, bumper antennae, and the CPT 9000 phone. I tried installing it all with a TCU from a 2004 330Ci convert that was equipped with assist. I even tried to have the TCU coded but nothing worked.
I heard that a TCU can not be swapped from one car to another????
What do I need to make this work??
Your car without the Assist feature cannot be retrofitted that easily with a TCU because the hardware to support Assist is not in your car to begin with, specifically the special rearview mirror with the call buttons... installing the CPT9000/V60i predispose that you already have Assist from factory.

You can try to install that rearview mirror and hardwire the buttons manually wherever they should be connected in the TCU and see what happens. The BMW tech should have the wiring schematic of the mirror and the TCU and could tell you if this is feasible or not. :hmm:

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
R1man1963 said:
Technic, you r the man for figuring this out, but, question for you. I think most people feel Assist is a useless tool. I simply swappwed out my Assist module for a BT module in my 2004 330 CiC for around $ 275 I think it was. I have voice activation and can use many models of BT phone. Why not spend the money just swapping out the module ? Thanks. Neil-
Hi Neil

By the time I did this mod there was no TCU retrofit possible nor available and the Bluetooth module was around $500.00. In addition, my cell carrier Verizon V710 initially have problems with its Bluetooth integrating with the BMW ULF module that there was not too much of an incentive for me to install Bluetooth anyways. That is not counting the $300.00 that the V710 used to cost initially if I even wanted it.

Having already a V60i made it an even easier decision to do it this way...

·
Registered
148 Posts
I get what u mean, I have heard bad things about the V710 and the BMW BT Kit as well

Technic said:
Hi Neil

By the time I did this mod there was no TCU retrofit possible nor available and the Bluetooth module was around $500.00. In addition, my cell carrier Verizon V710 initially have problems with its Bluetooth integrating with the BMW ULF module that there was not too much of an incentive for me to install Bluetooth anyways. That is not counting the $300.00 that the V710 used to cost initially if I even wanted it.

Having already a V60i made it an even easier decision to do it this way...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts