E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2003 330i steptronic

This just started last night and continued today. When I start the car and while its stationary the car vibrates. The RPM's do not jump at all. While going down the road you do not feel it in the car until you start slowing down and come to a stop (then you feel it throughout the entirre car). If i pop it in "N" it will sometimes stop the vibrating or just lessen it. It goes away when you get up to speed. There has not been any preformance losses that I can notice at all. If i put the car in step and go through the gears and rev it up to 3000 to 4000 and back down from 4000 to 3000 the tune of the motor changes during that thousand RPM change feels like it wants to shake but doesnt. At idle it is shaking. P and N it will either not vibrate or it will vibrate barely. In step mode D or R it will shake no matter what.

Okay now to rule out a bunch of things for everyone that reads this.

• DISA just got changed a little over 1k miles ago
    ICV got cleaned a little over 1k miles ago
    Throttle body got cleaned a little over 1k miles ago
    Sparkplugs good replaced less than 20k miles ago
    CCV good (bag tested it, it makes vacuum)
    Upper and lower boots good
    New fuel filter 1k ago
    GOT CODES READ even though check engine light wasnt on(no codes at all)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i looked at them.... how can you test them if you can

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
are you talking about the steering guibo? Curious how would this cause the vibrating. Ima have to give the mounts a real good look over tomorrow

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
No, there's a guibo between the transmission and driveshaft.

Usually, any problem vibrations that directly correspond to engine speed means anything that spins quickly can be the cause.

It would be wise to check pulleys, fan, guibos, axle bearings... Anything that can vibrate if worn or damaged. If something is causing excessive vibration can, over time, damage the rubber mount points that connect the drivetrain to the chassis.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh ok, my fault now i know what your takling about I didnt even think of that once. I did however consider it possibly being the bearing around the driveshaft.

·
/// Limitless
2,929 Posts
It's not the quibo if this is occuring mainly when the vehicle is stationary. The quibo won't be moving so rule that out as the source of the vibration.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Mine has been doing this for 3 days now but doesn't happen all the time ....:(

I guessing it's the Mounts too :hmm:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Very true.. Thought of it after I said it :lol: Still, there could be multiple things throughout the drivetrain creating vibrations. The only way to be sure would be replacing everything or placing sensors throughout the drivetrain.. Either way wouldn't be cheap.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Idk what to do I'm thinking about getting it up in the air either on a lift or jack stands and going over the drive train and look at all bushings subframe and diff.
Will it be safe to put the car in the air and to crank it up while under it so i can see whats vibrating...input would be great

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had vibrations but got worse as I took off. Ended up being a subframe crack for me.. Good luck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.