E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Imported *******
834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm about to get my car lowered next week with a friend (exp. mechanic who does lots of jap cars).

he's good at what he does, but i was just wondering are there common mistakes most installers make when installing spings on an E46? I have an 01 330i with SP.

things like Xenon housing, fogs, etc...what do we have to watch out for specfically??

thnx!

BTW, putting in Eibach springs.

·
Registered
632 Posts
does anyone have a pic of what the self leveler thing is, i have a friend of mine putting it in next week and i want to make sure that it doesnt get messed up. or if u can explain it then im sure he will know what to do, thanks

·
2 point five 3 two 3 i
3,789 Posts
02White330Ci said:
does anyone have a pic of what the self leveler thing is, i have a friend of mine putting it in next week and i want to make sure that it doesnt get messed up. or if u can explain it then im sure he will know what to do, thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
90 Posts
Im also looking to drop my car soon. So are you saying that the self-leveling arm has to be relocated, and if you dont the leveling won't work from its current location. Just curious because I've heard alot of people have had their arm broken when dropping their car. Thanks.

·
2 point five 3 two 3 i
3,789 Posts
ludicraze330 said:
Im also looking to drop my car soon. So are you saying that the self-leveling arm has to be relocated, and if you dont the leveling won't work from its current location. Just curious because I've heard alot of people have had their arm broken when dropping their car. Thanks.
no, just disconnect it. do the springs or what ever "drop" you are installing, and then reconnect the arm.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
16 Posts
When my friend got his bimmer lowered, there was a tapping noise on the littlest bumps. I went with him when he brought it back to the shop. I guess the guy didnt do the compression right on the springs. The tapping was because of the spring hitting as it compressed.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Have your car on jack stands and make sure you have your little jack they give u with your car to lift up the front control arm or whatever. that thing is heavy and cant be held up by yourself while trying to tighten the bolt for the front strut. Make sure you go very even on both sides of the strut when compressing the springs. That took me the longest time. HAve a friend for the rear springs to pull them out. Don't overtighten the 3 nuts connecting the top of the front struts to the frame. They will make a loud popping stripping noise if u do. Umm...wear latex gloves. I did mine without them and could not get the grease off for weeks. Good luck

1 - 12 of 12 Posts