E46 Fanatics Forum banner

More Paddleshift DIY info, this time on X5...lots of pictures!

131K views 79 replies 47 participants last post by  c4lho888 
#1 ·
I'm home in socal for the weekend, so I decided to retrofit the SMG wheel on our new X5...It worked like a charm...This is my 2nd SMG install so I learned a bunch of things....

The answer was under my nose the whole entire time and I just didn't realize it. All you need to retrofit a step ==> SMG paddles is

1. SMG wheel (+ airbag if necessary)
2. 2x CDROM audio cables from frys @ $2.99 each
3. some bare pins from radioshack $2
4. electrical tape $1
5. SMG steering column $50

It turns out that the four pin step connector is the exact same size as a audio cable on the back of a CDROM drive....It even clips into place...Since the ends are already molded into connectors, 0 splicing is needed....Here is a picture...

Here is a the new airbag...

SMG wheel...

See less See more
#11 · (Edited)
Dude, that is awesome! :pimpin: wait... no, that deserves the following: :str8pimpi and :bow:

One question, did you find out what happens when both paddles are pulled together? You don't want to short out the step system. You might want to add an intermediate item in the cable to the 4 pin step connector that does something funky like if both are on, then switch back to SD mode or something. I forget my digital systems with gates as well.

#12 ·
Mite All I can say is very very good DIY and pics... :thumbup: You just have it down pack now huh.....

#18 ·
Thanks for the props guys.....

I forgot to mention...I stopped by my uncle's dealership and did some inventory look up for the SMG wheel....

There are about 30 avail in the socal area, of these at least 15 in the ontario warehouse....there is definately NOT a wait for these wheels....

The wheel is expensive though....body shops get them for $523 and internet pricing is a bit more...I do know that the dealers are paying $400 + freight for the part.

PowerDrift: I actually built a circuit and everything that you are describing on my first attempt at the paddleshift.... that is located here:

http://e46.mit.edu/PaddleShift_Retrofit_Project.htm

I found out that pressing both paddles doesn't do anything...BMW must have some sort of input protection, thus the logic gate stuff isn't necessary at all...bmw's stuff has good design....

#21 ·
Hey MITE, how much are you charging people for the install in the Boston area? My friend has an X5 and had expressed interest before, but the price for the *other* SMG retrofit was a bit too much.

Thanks,
Chip-

#25 ·
nice work. thanks for sharing:thumbup:

#27 ·
MITE46 said:
I have a pretty crazy load this term cus im trying to graduate....so I really won't have time to do full installs.....I can make the CDROM audio cable for <$10 and the rest should be just as difficult as swapping a normal steering wheel....

LMK
Im sure alot of people will want this...:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.