BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW M5 turbo diesel f10
As previously posted about BMW has big plans for the M brand, including all wheel drive and diesel.

BMW has confirmed that it will be producing the first diesel vehicle to ever wear the M badge in the company's performance vehicle line. BMW will be producing a diesel-powered M5 next spring that will feature three turbochargers. The same engine will also be used in other BMW vehicles like the X5 and X6 crossovers.

550dM will make "slightly less" power than the gasoline M5's rated 560 HP output with final numbers expected to be in the 500 to 550 HP range. However, the torque output will be massive at up to 650 lb-ft. The copious torque is pointed to as the reason for the all-wheel drive option.

Full story - http://www.dailytech.com/Report+BMW+to+Launch+Diesel+Version+of+M5+Next+Spring/article22477c.htm

The on of the very first M car was a M535i so the naming scheme makes sense but it a tough pill to swallow for the modern M enthusiasts that are use to a few mighty M cars and don't know what to make of this every growing M line.

What do you think? The power and torque are certainly in M territory. Would you rock an oil burner M?

·
Registered
554 Posts
I don't see why not. All-Wheel-Drive, tons of torque and 500+ horspower....don't see the problem at all. I am curious if the overall fuel efficiency is going to be better than the gas burner. Audi has been successfully running TDI technology in their Lemans LP1 racecars and kickin' ass! I think that new diesel technology is definitely a viable performance option. It is definitely a different step in regards to the M-line, but I think that BMW is smart to expand their perforance line a bit (hopefully not overused as is the case with AMG) and explore/expand their engineering portfolio to the different fuel platforms that exist and are being developed for the future.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
seems like the 550 with the twin turbo can have just as much torque and hp for a lot less and dont have to worry about finding a station that has diesel ..

just a marketing sheme full of unnecessary waste. buy the 550 and tune it for buy the m5(well in this case its the same thing so thats not even true.)

i like the buy the 550 v8 or the m5's v10 idea alot better.

·
Registered
554 Posts
seems like the 550 with the twin turbo can have just as much torque and hp for a lot less and dont have to worry about finding a station that has diesel ..
I didn't know that BMW made a 550 with a twin turbo.:hmm: Anyway, diesel fuel is becoming more popular in certain circles due to its efficiency and performance with new diesel technology. Diesel is also more popular in Europe than here in America, so even if they didn't market it or sell a bunch of units here in America, it should be a big hit in other parts of the world. I don't agree that this is any sort of "marketing scheme" or wasteful development.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
I didn't know that BMW made a 550 with a twin turbo.:hmm: Anyway, diesel fuel is becoming more popular in certain circles due to its efficiency and performance with new diesel technology. Diesel is also more popular in Europe than here in America, so even if they didn't market it or sell a bunch of units here in America, it should be a big hit in other parts of the world. I don't agree that this is any sort of "marketing scheme" or wasteful development.
wait so the f10 550 isint a tt v8. i guess i was wrong

·
Registered
554 Posts
Like I said in an earlier post, 'I didn't know that BMW made a 550 with a twin turbo'. I can deduce from your snide way of relaying information that BMW in fact does. Thanks for the info.:thumbdwn:

·
Registered
554 Posts
Read my post again and you will see that I am saying nothing of the sort. If the :thumbdwn: is confusing you, it's there to illustrate my sincere appreciation for the way you pass on information.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Sorry. I don't know how to make that point any more clear.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hell ya!
I love my 335D. I still want a Z4 powered by the same engine!
But the 5 would rock in M mode with huge HP and even huge'r torque!

·
Registered
554 Posts
you have issues my friend. if you were trying to be sarcastic you have even more issues that need to be addressed. :facepalm:
:lmao: Just because you're shitty to people on this forum doesn't mean that everybody posts with the same intent. The only issue I have is that somehow 'I didn't know' was interpreted as 'I do know, and you're wrong' - which wasn't at all what I intended.

But, you got me. I was definitely sarcastic on my 'appreciation' for the gracious and tactful manner in which you passed on this information.

But hey! On the bright side, I learned something new, regardless of the presentation. I am always interested in new information. But myself, as well as many others, would probably appreciate it a little more if it were passed on with a little civility and mutual respect. Just a thought.

·
Registered
641 Posts
With these AWD ///M cars, maybe BMW could focus more of its efforts in rallying. That would be interesting. I also wonder if the system will be derived directly from the X models, or if they will get something more beefy or adjustable similar to Subaru.

·
Banned
3,006 Posts
BMW M5 turbo diesel f10
As previously posted about BMW has big plans for the M brand, including all wheel drive and diesel.

BMW has confirmed that it will be producing the first diesel vehicle to ever wear the M badge in the company's performance vehicle line. BMW will be producing a diesel-powered M5 next spring that will feature three turbochargers. The same engine will also be used in other BMW vehicles like the X5 and X6 crossovers.

550dM will make "slightly less" power than the gasoline M5's rated 560 HP output with final numbers expected to be in the 500 to 550 HP range. However, the torque output will be massive at up to 650 lb-ft. The copious torque is pointed to as the reason for the all-wheel drive option.

Full story - http://www.dailytech.com/Report+BMW+to+Launch+Diesel+Version+of+M5+Next+Spring/article22477c.htm

The on of the very first M car was a M535i so the naming scheme makes sense but it a tough pill to swallow for the modern M enthusiasts that are use to a few mighty M cars and don't know what to make of this ever growing M line.

What do you think? The power and torque are certainly in M territory. Would you rock an oil burner M?
fixed:thumbup:

·
Registered
554 Posts
With these AWD ///M cars, maybe BMW could focus more of its efforts in rallying. That would be interesting. I also wonder if the system will be derived directly from the X models, or if they will get something more beefy or adjustable similar to Subaru.
That would be pretty awesome to have the drive bias adjustable on the fly by the driver. I haven't personally driven many AWD vehicles, none of which were driver adjustable, but I wonder if there are any bias adjustments that a novice driver might make that could make it potentially dangerous?

Again, I don't really know, but I am definitely interested in hearing from those who do.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Gotcha. I think that it makes sense for the M versions of AWD to be driver adjustable then. I know the BMW engineers probably take a lot of pride in their automatic bias control systems, but I don't think that one automatic control system could fit everyone's performance driving style. And heck, if Subaru and Mitsubishi have adjustable bias I figure BMW AWD M versions should have it too.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Or they may use something similar to the latest generation of Audi's Quattro, it's an auto adjusting system with a rear bias during normal driving, IIIRC. I would rather have something adjustable, maybe they'll offer something similar to Quattro on the normal ///M AWDs and a competition package with adjustable bias.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Or they may use something similar to the latest generation of Audi's Quattro, it's an auto adjusting system with a rear bias during normal driving, IIIRC.
This is what I imagine it would be. If I'm not mistaken, the current AWD models are kind of set up with a similar scheme. I imagine this auto bias control works pretty well, but I'm thinking along your lines that a driver adjustable bias would be a great feature for an M model.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts