E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Because Race...Convertible?
Turbo ZHP Convertible
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is another thread on turboing the M54 motor on the cheap for the masses. Now, this is still not cheap, but it is less than the 7k that companies ask for the whole package.

The goal here is just above E92 M3 power, so we are targeting 380-400 whp on dynojet. The car currently dynos at 230whp.

We are now making 407 whp and 375wtq on 11psi, pure ethanol E85. AC was lost sadly

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the car now

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
COST BREAKDOWN

As always, the cost will never end and there will be more down the line. Heres my build cost including very nearly everything.

• Turbo (Used) - 200
  • Manifold, Downpipe CXRacing - 750
  • Wastegate, TIAL 38 (Used) - 180
  • BOV - 32
  • Rest of exhaust
    • V Bands - 13
    • Varex Muffler (Used) - 190
    • Flanges and gasket - 34
    • Vibrant Ultra Quiet - 88
    • Pipe - 112
    • Tips - 70
  • Intercooler piping
    • 2.5 inch kit - 95
    • 3 inch 45 - 18
  • 2 to 2.5 inch 45 - 12
  • Maf and pigtail
    • Maf - 210
    • Pigtail - 24
  • Boost controller/gauge AEM Truboost (Used) - 150
  • Innovate LC2
    • Kit (Used) - 100
    • New Sensor - 56
  • BavAuto Coil Packs - 270
  • Spark Plugs BKR7E 4644 - 21
  • Turbo Fittings
    • Braided feed line, banjo adapter - 57
    • AN to turbo flange - 13
    • Turbo Drain Flange - 10
    • Drain line w/adapters - 30
  • Turbo Blanket - 22
  • Heat wrap - 13
  • Intercooler CXRacing - 100
  • TurboGuard - 50
  • Injectors (Used) Bosch 0280158298 x8 - 200
  • Fuel Pump - 79
  • Tuning - 200

$3399

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm going turbo too. Nice! https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=17BwpwtR-jf1Jmw97hUcW4EUbBIxfDELn . I'm using my B25 to learn how to turbo and will swap in a fully rebuilt B30 made for boost when I've gained the experience and knowledge
Yup this will be a daily driver build with occasional autox/track use. Ive been playing with MS43 on TunerPro for a while but I'll go ahead and leave the real work to the professionals. All hardware work done will be by me at EAS (where I work), so I am keeping downtime to an absolute minimum. If necessary I will remove the wastegate spring until we can tune as I only live 3 miles from work.

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To keep AC requires extensive relocation. Nearly everyone deletes ac. This should allow it to stay

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Already bent the ac lines. Easy. And I'm draining to the drain plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Intercooler arrived and i picked up injectors Bosch 0280158298. Still need the manifold, downpipe, oil feed and drain, and bov. Wideband going in this week

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Searching for a name brand one. Build isn't happening quickly anyway. A 38mm gate should be enough to bypass enough to make 6-8lbs right?

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I was hoping to not need a blow off valve due to packaging concerns but my turbo isn't antisurge, so I'll have to find a spot for it

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
After checking out the spacing, I will be using an air to air cooler, taking a different route than others have used, and removing the standard electric fan in favor of a low profile unit from the likes of mishimoto. The space will be needed at the edges

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Started today. Quickly got the headers out and found the AC lines hit the manifold, but not where I was expecting. I thought the turbo would hit the lines near the inlet, but the front of the manifold is hitting the hardline coming out of the compressor, nearest the block. Has anyone successfully bent this out? If not Im just going to remove the line tomorrow and continue on.

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Updated with progress in post 3. Having difficulties with the studs and nuts on the manifold

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Did anyone have issues with the turbo drain being directly over the frame rail, or any clearance issues with the second downpipe section hitting the transmission?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.