BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 165 Posts

·
Because Race...Convertible?
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is another thread on turboing the M54 motor on the cheap for the masses. Now, this is still not cheap, but it is less than the 7k that companies ask for the whole package.

The goal here is just above E92 M3 power, so we are targeting 380-400 whp on dynojet. The car currently dynos at 230whp.

We are now making 407 whp and 375wtq on 11psi, pure ethanol E85. AC was lost sadly

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the car now

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
COST BREAKDOWN

As always, the cost will never end and there will be more down the line. Heres my build cost including very nearly everything.

• Turbo (Used) - 200
  • Manifold, Downpipe CXRacing - 750
  • Wastegate, TIAL 38 (Used) - 180
  • BOV - 32
  • Rest of exhaust
    • V Bands - 13
    • Varex Muffler (Used) - 190
    • Flanges and gasket - 34
    • Vibrant Ultra Quiet - 88
    • Pipe - 112
    • Tips - 70
  • Intercooler piping
    • 2.5 inch kit - 95
    • 3 inch 45 - 18
  • 2 to 2.5 inch 45 - 12
  • Maf and pigtail
    • Maf - 210
    • Pigtail - 24
  • Boost controller/gauge AEM Truboost (Used) - 150
  • Innovate LC2
    • Kit (Used) - 100
    • New Sensor - 56
  • BavAuto Coil Packs - 270
  • Spark Plugs BKR7E 4644 - 21
  • Turbo Fittings
    • Braided feed line, banjo adapter - 57
    • AN to turbo flange - 13
    • Turbo Drain Flange - 10
    • Drain line w/adapters - 30
  • Turbo Blanket - 22
  • Heat wrap - 13
  • Intercooler CXRacing - 100
  • TurboGuard - 50
  • Injectors (Used) Bosch 0280158298 x8 - 200
  • Fuel Pump - 79
  • Tuning - 200
$3399

·
Registered
8,569 Posts

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I'm going turbo too. Nice! https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=17BwpwtR-jf1Jmw97hUcW4EUbBIxfDELn . I'm using my B25 to learn how to turbo and will swap in a fully rebuilt B30 made for boost when I've gained the experience and knowledge
Yup this will be a daily driver build with occasional autox/track use. Ive been playing with MS43 on TunerPro for a while but I'll go ahead and leave the real work to the professionals. All hardware work done will be by me at EAS (where I work), so I am keeping downtime to an absolute minimum. If necessary I will remove the wastegate spring until we can tune as I only live 3 miles from work.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I’m assuming this is a top mount setup... why air to water intercooler?

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
To keep AC requires extensive relocation. Nearly everyone deletes ac. This should allow it to stay

·
Registered
867 Posts
From cx racing I suggest just getting the manifold , because their downpipe is 2.5 inch and it fits like sht and the pipe after downpipe sit waaay too low and will be scraping in the ground ( i had 1 inch of clearance) , I threw mine out and bought mandrell bent pipe 3inch and to make a downpipe it took me 45 degree bent and a little straight piece and it fits perfect , although i still have their bottom pipe but since i redid my downpipe it got it to sit much higher ( but the flex has been destroyed so i might redo that part too) , then the problem with my turbo which is gtx3582r is that it has 4 inch intake port and there is no way you can fit a filter on it without cutting stuff out , I did bought a filter and a turbo guard I took the filter part from the housing and put it over the turbo guard but that killed the performance by a lot , and I can see that filter got black in 1 week driving the car which means it sucks a lot of dirt So filter is a must , I just dont know how to run at this point because I need someone to custom make the pipe to go from turbo to the other side of the engine 4 inch to 3 inch with a sharp turn.

I had ac with cx racing manifold , I had to bend the ac lines a bit to get them off manifold because they were touching , moved it away half an inch , although I fcked up because the v band clamp from turbo rubbed through the rubber portion of ac line and it exploded on the road and the car shut off in the middle of the traffic in nyc , but a simple restart got me going tho))) Then i just deleted the ac cuz im a ***** i guess and drilled the block where ac was sitting for a turbo drain , because i had problems with drain line getting cooked from the heat and cracking , so I tapped the the drain hole( aluminum piece ) and ran 6 inch brass line from pluming store straight to the block with a little be of rubber in between to compensate for movement

·
Registered
586 Posts
My understanding is that the turbo itself sits in the way of the AC lines. So they would need to be rerouted. And I’ve seen only very little success with this, and I mean VERY LITTLE with no details. I’ve decided to go bottom mount just like armneh7. I guess we’ll see how this goes lol

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
867 Posts
Id say if you brave enough to bent a/c line at the compressor jsut to get them out of the way you be alright , but issue is running a drain to the oil pan with top mount , ive tried timing covers but i didnt find them efficient enough because everything is in the way

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Already bent the ac lines. Easy. And I'm draining to the drain plug

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
And I'm draining to the drain plug

Me too. I bought my "adapter" (M12x1.5 to -10AN) from treadstome performance. What about you?

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Either that or a barbed adapter

·
Registered
696 Posts
Here is another thread on turboing the M54 motor on the cheap for the masses. Now, this is still not cheap, but it is less than the 7k that companies ask for the whole package.

The goal here is just above E92 M3 power, so we are targeting 380-400 whp on dynojet. The car currently dynos at 230whp.

how you made 230 WHP in a m54b30 without Force Induction?

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good tune. Headers, Intake, zhp cam

·
Registered
8,569 Posts
Please don't get an ebay wastegate. That's the one piece (along with boost gauge and wideband) that I am willing to spend big money on. A bad wastegate could either blow your engine or prevent you from making boost

·
Registered
6 Posts
it has 4 inch intake port and there is no way you can fit a filter on it without cutting stuff out , I did bought a filter and a turbo guard I took the filter part from the housing and put it over the turbo guard but that killed the performance by a lot , and I can see that filter got black in 1 week driving the car which means it sucks a lot of dirt So filter is a must , I just dont know how to run at this point because I need someone to custom make the pipe to go from turbo to the other side of the engine 4 inch to 3 inch with a sharp turn
I have the exact same problem with a cx manifold and a 4 inch inlet. I am having a really hard time making any kind of filter work.

Attachments

·
Turbo ZHP Convertible
2,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Intercooler arrived and i picked up injectors Bosch 0280158298. Still need the manifold, downpipe, oil feed and drain, and bov. Wideband going in this week

1 - 20 of 165 Posts