E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a knocking when I got home from work a little over a week ago, that didn’t match the all the noise coming from my new power steering pump. The noise only started at around 2100 rpm and seemed to stop around 3000, wasn’t there at idle unless the car was at operating temp and then, it was sporadic. I stopped driving it and wasn’t able to look into it until last Saturday. I started with looking under the valve cover to see if I screwed something up when I replaced the exhaust cam and then pulled the drive belts to see if it was an accessory. No dice. I had my son hold it at 2100 and pulled the connector to cylinder one, the noise changed...
Musical instrument Wood Rectangle Hardwood Flooring

Miraculously, the crank is ok(nothing that’ll catch a fingernail). I’m throwing new bearings, rod bolts, and an oil pan gasket in it and calling it a day. The car isn’t worth anything over that and would’ve gone to the scrap yard if the crank was toast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've only had the car maybe 5-6 months, so not sure of it's history. I don't think it was maintained very well after the original owner(I bought it with a broken exhaust cam).

I can't see 700k(or over 300k) being very common, or is it that the rest of the car just falls apart around the engine and doesn't allow them to reach higher mileage...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts