BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the Fly made up a set of these for me last summer and I have been running them since then. No 'night and day' difference but a nice little tweak to pick up some caster. I like the ride of rubber vs. poly for a daily driver.

I must be lucky since it appears that almost everyone else has problems removing/installing the lollipops. Using a ratcheting wrench I've had no problems with mine.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
No troubles here with a plain ratcheting wrench. My Gearwrench XL wrenches were even better with extra leverage, cleared the subframe and body with tons of swing room.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
No troubles here with a plain ratcheting wrench. My Gearwrench XL wrenches were even better with extra leverage, cleared the subframe and body with tons of swing room.
Maybe I should have tried to access all the bolts from underneath, I didn't have the car lifted very high when I did the right side. From the outside I could barely get 2 clicks out of my Gearwrench.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Maybe I should have tried to access all the bolts from underneath, I didn't have the car lifted very high when I did the right side. From the outside I could barely get 2 clicks out of my Gearwrench.
Got an alignment today, toe was off front and rear.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I'll try the pics again. I was hoping the first picture of before and after would have turned out clearer, maybe I should have got a printout.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Looks like the e36 FCAB's had a minimal effect on the caster (1/2 deg. ?)
Seems that way, I was more concerned about toe, and he did all the adjusting on the right side. Not the side with the weld nut missing, go figure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
Just put the same bushings on new control arms for forum member Yuh. Getting easier each time. His old bushing were still intact, liquid every place once I started cutting them out. Ball joints were loose, 132K on the car, he says steering feels tighter.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Just put the same bushings on new control arms for forum member Yuh. Getting easier each time. His old bushing were still intact, liquid every place once I started cutting them out. Ball joints were loose, 132K on the car, he says steering feels tighter.

Thanks for the help!!! :thumbup::thumbup:

Car is driving great.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I clicked on the link for the part listed in post #2. The description listed for the part on the FTP website is for a non-offset bushing. The later 96' up M3's went back to a traditional 'center' style bushing. To make sure I understand, was your bushing a 'center' style bushing? If this is the case then there should have been no impact to caster.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I clicked on the link for the part listed in post #2. The description listed for the part on the FTP website is for a non-offset bushing. The later 96' up M3's went back to a traditional 'center' style bushing. To make sure I understand, was your bushing a 'center' style bushing? If this is the case then there should have been no impact to caster.
I used a centered bushing, the stock xi bushing is offset.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
This is the centered bushing installed in the xi carrier.
20180527_124149.jpeg

·
Registered
5,926 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
The centered bushings will work on our cars with no issues. In fact I***8217;ve been using powerflex e36 m3 centered bushings for probably 8 years now. They are still tight and even though I haven***8217;t lubricated them in 5 years they are still quiet, never a squeak

·
Registered
2001 330xi
689 Posts
The $ we save with the cheaper e36 CAB we have to pay out for the alignment though, and then some more, right? If I use the e46 xi bushing I posted, I wouldn't have to get an alignment!?
Cheers,
fana

1 - 20 of 22 Posts