BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I think they are called "Wheat Grass" lamps- Due to their yellowish tint- But I can drive them directly with 12v- and they are bright little suckers- PLUS they fit right into the end of the DDE Gen IV halos!

They have markings on the side "CM20-6" They run a little hot- so I may run a test over-night with them- to see what happens (Hopefully NOT fire!) I think they are rated at only 6-10v- so they may not last long- But I wanted to show you guys and see what your reaction was.

To get an idea of how bright the LED's are they are 9,600 mcd, and there are comparison shots with regular DDE's here http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52137

:thumbup: :thumbdwn:

(BTW for those of you following my LED install saga- I put them in, but blew one set up (TOO much voltage) and it's snowing again, so my experimentation is indoors right now! I got these for $1.50 ea at a place called Active Surplus here in Toronto)

C-Ya

·
...and I'd be all shiny..
1,835 Posts
they do definitly appear to have better luminance(SP?) than the bluer ones. having them on the carpet and not the car definitly shows light being thrown further. This is an interesting variation on a very cool mod and I like the research I'm seeing going into the LED ideas:thumbup:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thxguy where are u in Toronto? my friend seem to have problems with his DDE Gen4s on his 330CI coupe. It's very dim can't even see it during the day or when Xenon is on ...

thx

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I live and work right downtown- We can set up a time to meet if you are interseted- We just need to find someplace INDOORS! It's wAAy too cold out right now to be working on cars! I can see if I can try to help him out... PM me, and then we can talk-

James

·
Registered
703 Posts
Hell yeah:thumbup: :thumbup:

thats the look I prefer:thumbup:

Keep us informed....

John V

·
Sofa-king-what
1,976 Posts
our saga.....

you in the usa me in italy.....same problem......

nice lamps.... who makes them??where on web??

yesterday I tried to wire 2 rings (8 leds) with 4 220 resistors, to the park light.....
everithing seems to work pretty fine.....

I tried 2 different kind of led..... 2500Mcd (they work good but with low resistance) and 6500Mcd.... (good and I can use higher resistor, 480ohm)

before installing everything i must wait for the HID to arrive....
untill that time i'll have time to choose the best way to light up my rings....

(whatever is 5mm and produces light...is good.....:thumbup: )

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi, TheRiddle,

I am practically clueless when it comes to electrical stuff. Would you be kind enough to sort of show the schematics of how the LEDs are connected?

I checked out the site www.superbrightleds.com and it shows LEDs with cathode and anode legs, which do you connect to the resistor? I assume all 8 LEDs are running in parallel?

TIA

·
Registered
268 Posts
thxguy said:
I live and work right downtown- We can set up a time to meet if you are interseted- We just need to find someplace INDOORS! It's wAAy too cold out right now to be working on cars! I can see if I can try to help him out... PM me, and then we can talk-

James
Hey James,

Wow, those LEDs look pretty bright... Anyway, the guys are trying to setup a meet next week to get/install their chrome dial rings... maybe you could drop by that time to help the other guy with the DDEs... The event should be posted shortly on E46Toronto...

·
Sofa-king-what
1,976 Posts
kteee said:
Hi, TheRiddle,

I am practically clueless when it comes to electrical stuff. Would you be kind enough to sort of show the schematics of how the LEDs are connected?

I checked out the site www.superbrightleds.com and it shows LEDs with cathode and anode legs, which do you connect to the resistor? I assume all 8 LEDs are running in parallel?

TIA
even for me electrical field is unknow.....

but i'll try to explain you what to do....

every led must have a resistor on the anode, there is a precise rule for resistors...but the best way is not to use resistor under 220 Ohm (under that limit you'll burn leds for sure)....I used 680 ohm but they "resist" too much...
i'm still doing tests to find a right compromise between brightness and safety.......

.....8 leds, on every led a resistor, (anode is +,cathode is -) all the positive and allthe negative must be connected to a 12V source,in parallel.......

STU too found an other solution,his 5mm bulbs (not led) seems to be right for this use (you don't need to use any resistor,so they do not burn easily as the led).....

BTW...there was a thread in which there are explanation (and wiring scheme) do a search...or go to Fiberdesign
there is scheme for the connection for halos.....but it will be usefull even for leds....

:thumbup:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
stanmo said:

Hey James,

Wow, those LEDs look pretty bright... Anyway, the guys are trying to setup a meet next week to get/install their chrome dial rings... maybe you could drop by that time to help the other guy with the DDEs... The event should be posted shortly on E46Toronto...
Hell Yeah! I've been waiting for Kip to get back from HK- I need to install my chrome rings too! I am in- Hopefully I will be free on the day- I need to give you some cash for the server too!

The Riddle- Basically the way the LED's are hooked up are the + of one (The long leg of an LED) is connected to the - of the next one- This is called a series connection. When you connect LED's in series, the voltage requirement of the LED doubles. Assuming the LED's require 3.6v to product 9,600mcd- You would now need 7.2v to achieve the same brightness with the 2 LED's in series. For experimentation I tried 4 LED's in series, and hooked it up to 12v. This was pretty bright, but it could be brighter using only 2 in series, with an 80ohm resistor- There are some pretty good web pages on basic electronics- If this is totally unclear you can PM me, and I'l ltry to make more sense of it!

+Battery___wire___+ LED - __wire___+LED - ___ -Battery

This is a "text" schematic of 2 LED's in series- hope it makes sense.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Re: More angel eye DDE fun- I tried the LED's and found these at a local electronics shop

thxguy said:
I think they are called "Wheat Grass" lamps- Due to their yellowish tint- But I can drive them directly with 12v- and they are bright little suckers- PLUS they fit right into the end of the DDE Gen IV halos!
How did you ever make out with these lamps? Do they run too hot to keep inside the rings, or do they seem okay? Check your pm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts