BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: If I leave the moonroof tilt thingy open when it's raining, will water be able to get into my car? I think no, because there seems to be a black rubber thing covering up, but I'm not sure.

Also, on my mom's 2002 530i, when the moonroof tilt is up, there isn't the same black rubber thing as on my 2001 330ci...strange.

One time I left the tilt thing open overnight when it was raining. When I went to my car in hte morning, I used an umbrella to get to it, and I threw it into my car as I got it. There was some water splashes, but I don't know if it was from the roof, or just from me throwing the umbrella in there :)

·
In Pursuit of My J.D.
2,316 Posts
I've accidentally left my moonroof tilted in all my cars when it has rained in the past, but I think that with the way rain falls, and the position of the moonroof, very little rain will get in. It has never been a problem in any of my cars. Try this, tilt your moonroof up, and spray some water down onto it (the same way rain would fall) with a hose, and see what happens? :dunno:

·
Believe it!!!
843 Posts
Faheem Daddy said:
I've accidentally left my moonroof tilted in all my cars when it has rained in the past, but I think that with the way rain falls, and the position of the moonroof, very little rain will get in. It has never been a problem in any of my cars. Try this, tilt your moonroof up, and spray some water down onto it (the same way rain would fall) with a hose, and see what happens? :dunno:
i agree with this.... bmw spent countless hours in researh and development on these moonroofs.

even on heavy rain... only a small amount of rain will get in. i'm not sure about snow tho. i've left my moonroof tilted a few times during rain. and so far i've had no problems. just dont leave your moonroof fully opened.

a few days ago i saw a few dried leaves inside my car. reason was we had heavy santa ana winds in the san fernando valley and i left my moonroof tilted again. :lmao: :lmao: so far.. everything seems to be all right.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There should be a drainage channel inside the moonroof that will allow runoff of any water that enters.

This is how it primarily works for cars will factory moonroofs. If you buy an aftermarket there's no drain hole, just a tray for the water to collect in. Once the tray overflows, expect a soaking.

So as long as the drain hole is clear you shouldn't have a problem.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I imagine if there is heavy rain with winds that you'll get *some* water in the car, but probably not too much. If it's simple rain that comes straight down (no/little wind) then I doubt the inside of the car will see any water at all. Take it through a carwash and let us know! :)

·
needs a new sig...
4,647 Posts
I hvae had 0 problems leaving to moonroof tilted..the only leaking problem i have is the ****ing rear tilt out windows on the coupe...if you dont close them all the way the backseat gets soaked is it drizzles...why cant they be one touch close???

·
Go Gators!
418 Posts
GarrettF said:
I hvae had 0 problems leaving to moonroof tilted..the only leaking problem i have is the ****ing rear tilt out windows on the coupe...if you dont close them all the way the backseat gets soaked is it drizzles...why cant they be one touch close???
For real.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There was a thread on the one touch close. It turns out in the US, we're too stupid to take our fingers out of the windows so they don't allow that option since it doesn't have safety mechanism like the other windows.

But in europe it's one touch.

·
booo for body roll.
3,417 Posts
yea the only problem u'll have is if u leave ur sunroof open. then you're screwed.. my mom did this on her car once. lol

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
i've left my sunroof tilted a few times by accident, during the rain, and never had any problem with water getting in the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts