BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just went out to take that sound deadening material from under the rear seats because of that dreaded crayon smell. And I noticed alot of moisture and some small puddles of water underneath on top of that wax junk. Now I just washed my car today, and didn't notice any water on top of the seats or anything like that. And we just had that Tropical Storm Irene hit us. But it seems a little weird for water to be able to get in my car and under the seats. :eek: Any ideas how or why its there? '03 325xi Thanks.

·
Registered
81 Posts
moisture barrier in your door(s). absolutely terrible design. Remove the door panel(s) and reseal them as best you can...search the forums for tips. Replaced any window regulators lately? start there first-

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
moisture barrier in your door(s). absolutely terrible design. Remove the door panel(s) and reseal them as best you can...search the forums for tips. Replaced any window regulators lately? start there first-
I actually haven't taken anything apart when it comes to the rear. I have however run a tiny wire for my sirius through the door and onto the roof. I'm gonna guess that's the problem? Appreciate the help.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Bimmer

·
Registered
86 Posts
i remember on my older bimmers they had weep holes for water to drain from the roof down to the bottom of the car via the tracks in the a pillar and c pillar by way of the sun roof. if those get clogged it will make the inside of your car collect water.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
i remember on my older bimmers they had weep holes for water to drain from the roof down to the bottom of the car via the tracks in the a pillar and c pillar by way of the sun roof. if those get clogged it will make the inside of your car collect water.
is there a good diy on how to get at those and clean them? I have noticed it too and thought it was my door seals, but I park outside now and it totally could be clogged?

·
Registered
95 Posts
+1 on the moisture barrier. It comes from parking the car on a ground that is not level. Water drainage is designed to flow through the door and out.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I would recommend checking the vapor/moisture barriers too if his floor/carpet were getting wet. However, since the OP is saying it's wet underneath the padding where passengers sit (i.e. on the bench above the fuel tank right?) - checking the vapor barriers doesn't make immediate sense.

OP - I would check the sun roof drain tubes (rear ones, hidden in your C-pillars) first in your case. Vapor barriers wouldn't be the first place to look in this situation.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I live and park on a hill. That would explain a lot. @himefrankie ill have to check it out. Got pics?
Of the C-pillar drain tubes? No, but if you try a search on them - you should be able to find something.

This link here...
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/05/01/60
...is actually for doing bodywork on the rear quarter panel, but it illustrates structurally how the rear drain is routed down the C-pillar and to the wheel well.

A common area of disconnect in the tubes is supposedly behind the interior C-pillar, removal of the pillars is discussed here...
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1247064

·
Registered
215 Posts
+1 on the moisture barrier. It comes from parking the car on a ground that is not level. Water drainage is designed to flow through the door and out.
Really is this right? Are you saying that the doors are designed deliberately to allow water to drain through them? Thats madness. I often get water in the passenger side door pocket for the life of me I don't know how it gets there. I have an air leak somewhere on my passenger side window so I always assumed it was to do with that. I park on flat ground but this sounds like it could be my problem.

My passenger side window goes clunk when you fully lower it so it might be a opportunity to kill 2 birds with one stone.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I would recommend checking the vapor/moisture barriers too if his floor/carpet were getting wet. However, since the OP is saying it's wet underneath the padding where passengers sit (i.e. on the bench above the fuel tank right?) - checking the vapor barriers doesn't make immediate sense.

OP - I would check the sun roof drain tubes (rear ones, hidden in your C-pillars) first in your case. Vapor barriers wouldn't be the first place to look in this situation.
Agreed vapor barriers dont make sense in this case. Which brings me to the point of replying to this stale thread...... I have moisture under the rear seat.

I live and park on a hill. That would explain a lot. @himefrankie ill have to check it out. Got pics?
Did you ever check it out and find the source of your problem?

Reason I ask is because I have moisture under the rear seat and it is not readily apparent where it may be coming from. Going to check out the rear drain tubes this weekend.

In the meantime. Anyone else have first hand experience with dampness under the rear seat?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Didn't know others had similar problems...

...I was surprised to see others were having similar issues, so I thought I would share my own...

This fall I noticed dampness in the rear left seat of my touring (2003 325xi); so much so that I needed to cover it with a towel for anyone to sit there. I also noticed less severe wetness in the cargo area floor. A few weeks later, after the windows began to freeze overnight on a regular basis, something more strange happened. The front windscreen was frozen solid on the inside and if I scratched at it it looked as if it were snowing on the interior. That only occurred once, but it was odd. Any ideas would be appreciated, but I thought I would add my situation to the thread to see if it might help connect any dots.

...I'm not sure if it is relevant but someone else mentioned that their passenger window made a clunking noise when lowered all the way. The same thing happens to me only on the driver window.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
I think I've heard of this problem- clogged sunroof drain.
Yeah thats what I am hoping for and nothing more meanacing.... Will be digging into it this weekend and will follow up with a solution :woot:, or lack thereof :eek:

Water UNDER the rear seat isnt talked about alot and of the few instances I have found (like this one) no one has posted a follow up with what the root cause was. Something I hope to remedy.

Wish me luck.

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Pretty sure at this point I have narrowed down my leak to being similar to this persons. Except water is coming in through the next hole down. Either the clip was not fully seated in that hole or the foam washer is letting water by. The only time that panel has been off was when I had the windows tinted a cople of years ago so It is possible that the clip was never reseated right from then. Even with all the clips back in the holes (with the door panel still off) I was still getting some water from that particular hole. Not as much as I would have expected but water none-the-less. Going to try and find some replacement foam washers or just get new clips from the dealer that come with the foam washers if that fails.

·
Registered
815 Posts
If you mean water under the rear seat bottom cushion, very slim possibility that its coming from the door weather seal(s) as the water would collect on the floor foot well under the carpet. If the water is laying under the rear seat bottom cushion, then it is most likely coming from the sun roof drain(s) or from a leaking rear window. If the water is coming from the sun roof drain(s), either the drains clogged or the tubes disconnected or cracked, you can test this rather easily. Sit in the car with the doors closed and have someone else spray water from a hose onto the sun roof area only (have them try real hard not to get water running onto the rear window). If the leak is bad enough, you will see the water trickle down along the inside wheel well and start to pool on the area that the rear seat bottom sits. You might also find it starting to come out from around the rear C pillar passenger light(s). If after running water over the sun roof, you don't get any water inside, then have then run water over the top and side of the rear window and look for water again. This should narrow down where the water is coming in at, then you need to fix it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts